For those with experience. What is the best assault rifle on the planet? or the top 2 or 3?

Assault rifle?

That is mainly a term used by noobs and anti-gunners to vilify them, but w/e.

Shooters just call them carbines or rifles.

AR’s all the way. Ergonomic, reliable, and modular with great selection of parts and availability.

No respectable modern military really uses the AK, besides some russians. Probably mostly out of pride IMO.

Most elite fighting force uses an AR variant for a reason.

assault RIFLE is absolutely a legitimate term. Its assault weapon thats political bullshit for a litany of reasons. an assault rifle is a select fire weapon firing an intermediate cartridge, as opposed to machine pistol/sub machine gun that fires pistol caliber projectiles or Battle rifles that fire full power rounds. PDW is in there somewhere too but fuck those things. nobody gives a crap about pdw's.

I think the reliability of the AK is a myth.. I have both the AK47 and an AR15..

WASR10
S&W M&P15 II

I have seen plenty of videos where the AR15 blows the AK47 away in torture test..

My M&P15 II lasted almost 3 times as long as my WASR10 in a meltdown torture test..

If SHTF I'm grabbing my AR...

I think the reliability of the AK is a myth.. I have both the AK47 and an AR15..

WASR10
S&W M&P15 II

I have seen plenty of videos where the AR15 blows the AK47 away in torture test..

My M&P15 II lasted almost 3 times as long as my WASR10 in a meltdown torture test..

If SHTF I'm grabbing my AR...
WASRs aren't exactly quality AKs.

WASRs aren't exactly quality AKs.

According to these guys the WASR is basically the standard.. Its a good entry level AK.. It has out performed more expensive AKs in their torture test

It flunked this test so bad...

My M&P15 II was one of the best AR15s on the market and it beat out even more expensive AR15s in this test..

People are always recommending the more expensive rifles assuming they are better... It cost a couple grand so therefore it must be better.. Not always the case

I've watched damn near every gun vid on Youtube.. Every torture test.. Every review.. I've watched vids on guns I have and don't have...

As far as AR15s.. I've come to the conclusion that my M&P15 is top 3 on the market for ARs... It wins in damn near every comparison video there is... Torture test.. Performance test...

I think I paid about $600 or so for mine minus the Magpul upgrades.. It ranks right up there with and even above a lot of ARs that cost 3X as much..

While in the store I bought it strictly because the barrel was the thickest out of everything on the rack.. It stood out.. It was my second firearm I ever bought.. Its what got me into guns..

I owned a no name AR years before I got that M&P. I also sold that no name AR years before I got my M&P..

I've never had a malfunction with my M&P.. Not 1.. I haven't cleaned it since I bought it a few years ago.. Once I realized what I had bought my goal was to shoot it as much as possible to see how long it could go before it started failing..

I know I've shot over 1000 rounds thru it.. Less then 3000 rounds thru it.. Not 1 cleaning.. I havent oiled it.. Nothing...

If SHTF I'm grabbing my M&P and my Glocks. I'm leaving the rest if my guns behind.. Cant carry them all..

I've watched damn near every gun vid on Youtube.. Every torture test.. Every review.. I've watched vids on guns I have and don't have...

As far as AR15s.. I've come to the conclusion that my M&P15 is top 3 on the market for ARs... It wins in damn near every comparison video there is... Torture test.. Performance test...

I think I paid about $600 or so for mine minus the Magpul upgrades.. It ranks right up there with and even above a lot of ARs that cost 3X as much..

While in the store I bought it strictly because the barrel was the thickest out of everything on the rack.. It stood out.. It was my second firearm I ever bought.. Its what got me into guns..

I owned a no name AR years before I got that M&P. I also sold that no name AR years before I got my M&P..

I've never had a malfunction with my M&P.. Not 1.. I haven't cleaned it since I bought it a few years ago.. Once I realized what I had bought my goal was to shoot it as much as possible to see how long it could go before it started failing..

I know I've shot over 1000 rounds thru it.. Less then 3000 rounds thru it.. Not 1 cleaning.. I havent oiled it.. Nothing...

Sorry but it isn't close to being top 3 in anything. S&W even sells better AR's than that sport model.

Also the only AR the M&P beat in the meltdown was the psa I believe. Those tests while entertaining aren't real world firing schedules either.

Long term and out of the box accuracy it won't compete with others. Noveske stainless barrels have shown long term accuracy test of still 1 moa after 15,000 rounds.

Long term parts durability probably won't be there either. The fact that it's a carbine length already puts it a disadvantage to mid length. More pressure, more impulse, etc faster part wear. They use 4140, mim parts, etc. Just not as high quality material from the start on some parts. Also ergonomically it being a carbine fsb also puts it at a disadvantage imo.

There isn't really anything wrong with it for the normal person but it really isn't just as good as or better. Btw 1000 rounds isn't a lot. I've done that in a single range trip.

I can guarantee it wouldn't hold up like this BCM. Also keep in mind this is a very aggressive firing schedule and parts would have lasted longer with a less aggressive schedule.

BCM "Filthy 14"
IN SERVICE

We received the carbine in late 2008 and put #14 into service shortly thereafter.

At Brady, Texas, in March 2009, it suffered a malfunction, which was reduced with Immediate Action. The bolt was wiped down at 6,450 rounds.

At Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, in May 2009, it had several failures to extract, and the extractor spring was replaced at 13,010 rounds. This is far beyond the normal extractor spring life under these conditions.

At Wamego, Kansas, in June 2009, two bolt lugs broke at 16,400 rounds. We replaced the BCG. Considering the firing schedule, this is within normal parameters.

At Columbus, Ohio, in November 2009, we had several failures to extract at 24,450 rounds. The shooter gave it a field cleaning and replaced the extractor and extractor spring.

At 28,905 rounds, we finally cleaned Filthy 14. As part of our year-end maintenance schedule, we inspect and replace parts as necessary. Filthy 14 looked like the inside of the crankcase of Uncle Ed’s ’49 Packard. It was disgusting to look at and contaminated everything near it, somewhat like the toner cartridges for old printers.

I plopped it into a parts washer filled with Slip 725 parts cleaner, and 20 minutes later it was clean. Mostly clean, anyway.

We have never used a bore brush in the barrel of this gun. We did run a patch down the barrel twice, but that was all. At 50 yards it still shoots two-inch groups, and we understand that it might not at 100 yards and beyond, but we are happy with the fact that, even at 50 yards, the gun is capable of tighter groups than most of the people running it.

We have never used a chamber brush in this gun either. We were often told that this was an absolute must.

Sure…

At the last class in Casa Grande, Arizona, at approximately 30,000 rounds, we had several failures to extract. We replaced the extractor spring and wiped down the BCG.

By the time you read this, we’ll likely have another 3,000 to 4,000 rounds through Filthy 14. At that point we’ll probably retire it. We’ll reuse the LaRue rail, the sights and, after rebuilding the lower, and replace that old and well-worn mid length upper with something else."

According to these guys the WASR is basically the standard.. Its a good entry level AK.. It has out performed more expensive AKs in their torture test

It flunked this test so bad...

My M&P15 II was one of the best AR15s on the market and it beat out even more expensive AR15s in this test..

People are always recommending the more expensive rifles assuming they are better... It cost a couple grand so therefore it must be better.. Not always the case

It doesn't even have dimples for the magazine on the receiver and the sights were always canted. They used to be the cheapest at $399.
The "standard" for an AK variant (47 or 74) is Arsenal. They were around $600 years ago when I got mine and it came with the Circle 10 waffle mags.

SGL2163.jpg

As for ARs, the M&P Sport is a good entry level model but I have no idea where you're getting $2000 from. You can get a Colt 6920 for $875 with free shipping from Gun Buyer.

Last edited:
Sorry but it isn't close to being top 3 in anything. S&W even sells better AR's than that sport model.

Also the only AR the M&P beat in the meltdown was the psa I believe. Those tests while entertaining aren't real world firing schedules either.

Long term and out of the box accuracy it won't compete with others. Noveske stainless barrels have shown long term accuracy test of still 1 moa after 15,000 rounds.

Long term parts durability probably won't be there either. The fact that it's a carbine length already puts it a disadvantage to mid length. More pressure, more impulse, etc faster part wear. They use 4140, mim parts, etc. Just not as high quality material from the start on some parts. Also ergonomically it being a carbine fsb also puts it at a disadvantage imo.

There isn't really anything wrong with it for the normal person but it really isn't just as good as or better. Btw 1000 rounds isn't a lot. I've done that in a single range trip.

I can guarantee it wouldn't hold up like this BCM. Also keep in mind this is a very aggressive firing schedule and parts would have lasted longer with a less aggressive schedule.

BCM "Filthy 14"
IN SERVICE

We received the carbine in late 2008 and put #14 into service shortly thereafter.

At Brady, Texas, in March 2009, it suffered a malfunction, which was reduced with Immediate Action. The bolt was wiped down at 6,450 rounds.

At Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, in May 2009, it had several failures to extract, and the extractor spring was replaced at 13,010 rounds. This is far beyond the normal extractor spring life under these conditions.

At Wamego, Kansas, in June 2009, two bolt lugs broke at 16,400 rounds. We replaced the BCG. Considering the firing schedule, this is within normal parameters.

At Columbus, Ohio, in November 2009, we had several failures to extract at 24,450 rounds. The shooter gave it a field cleaning and replaced the extractor and extractor spring.

At 28,905 rounds, we finally cleaned Filthy 14. As part of our year-end maintenance schedule, we inspect and replace parts as necessary. Filthy 14 looked like the inside of the crankcase of Uncle Ed’s ’49 Packard. It was disgusting to look at and contaminated everything near it, somewhat like the toner cartridges for old printers.

I plopped it into a parts washer filled with Slip 725 parts cleaner, and 20 minutes later it was clean. Mostly clean, anyway.

We have never used a bore brush in the barrel of this gun. We did run a patch down the barrel twice, but that was all. At 50 yards it still shoots two-inch groups, and we understand that it might not at 100 yards and beyond, but we are happy with the fact that, even at 50 yards, the gun is capable of tighter groups than most of the people running it.

We have never used a chamber brush in this gun either. We were often told that this was an absolute must.

Sure…

At the last class in Casa Grande, Arizona, at approximately 30,000 rounds, we had several failures to extract. We replaced the extractor spring and wiped down the BCG.

By the time you read this, we’ll likely have another 3,000 to 4,000 rounds through Filthy 14. At that point we’ll probably retire it. We’ll reuse the LaRue rail, the sights and, after rebuilding the lower, and replace that old and well-worn mid length upper with something else."
Not only that but BCM actually backs up their claims of materials used and testing (individual HPT and MPI) with their certifications.
It's too bad the Chart isn't updated anymore.

x7L2VMmVDNwjWg5bUhDBiEFFsk2cES1ZrbAtKbNqauVAUqSrBZge7bxzNujSGYeNniaN8yfXnLrP79X

So do we know if the guy who started this thread went full pumped up kicks?

The ak -47 For reliability but very accurate. The M-4 accurate , can be reliable if properly maintained. but my choice HK416
why? what experience do you have with the 416 would allow you to confidently place it above 2 extremely battle tested and proven designs?

why? what experience do you have with the 416 would allow you to confidently place it above 2 extremely battle tested and proven designs?
The civie HK 416, or the MR556 as it's called retails for a suggested MSRP of 2600-3200 fucking dollars.

An AR15... you can get a Daniel Defense fucking Mk18 upper and slap it on a pistol lower for $1200 for the upper and like $150 for the lower if you go barebones.

OR, if you REALLY want the piston gun which is all the 416 is.... an M4 that uses a piston instead of DI.... just get an Adams Arms piston kit for like $200 and you STILL have about $1000 leftover for ammo and gucci optics.

I don't get the obsession some people have with the 416

Where do you think someone would get experience from , besides the military and some other places . Lol
It’s my opinion if I had a choice it’s reliable. But basically a improved m-4 It doesn’t require as much maintenance . I like that it uses the short stroke piston Instead of gas expansion System, a free-floating handguard system that lets the barrel move independently of the handguards . The cold hammer forged barrel allows for longer service life . All 3 are good weapons. If civil unrest happening America it would not be a weapon I’d choose due parts issues Since their would be way more AR-15s . Is that better
Here is a civilian AR15 parts list that HAS a free float handguard and a piston system:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ar15-complete-moe-plus-lower-black.html
$150 for the complete lower

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-parts/triggers/ar-15-m16-308-ar-ssa-ssa-e-trigger-prod31960.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=GEISSELE+AUTOMATICS+LLC
Geissele SSA trigger, $245 (can get them on sale for $180 sometimes)

https://danieldefense.com/mk18-upper-receiver-group-23-004-08013-006.html
DD Mk18 upper, $1200, that RIS system is free float

That's only... $1,595 right there... You could then afford to buy a fucking ELCAN with the leftover money and still pay less than you would for an HK416. Or better yet, you can blow some money on this:
https://www.adamsarms.net/piston-kit-p-series-adjustable-micro-block

MSRP like 270 bucks. So even with the Adams Arms kit you're still only dropping $1,865. Versus nearly $3,500 for a civilian HK 416. This would leave you ABOUT 1,635 leftover if you built a piston AR, and you aren't even sourcing all the parts solo... you source parts solo you can probably cut that final price down to like $1,500.

Also the DI being unreliable is a myth:

Stop using facts about the gun as it was in Vietnam to perpetuate shit that's been fixed since then. Add to that piston guns wear out parts far faster than DI guns do.

The above guy trains people, how many piston guns do you see on his truck bed?

The HK416 got immensely popular cause of it's use in movies and games, similar to the fucking SCAR when in reality, my understanding is combat vets that use them hate them cause they're heavy as fuck.

Last edited:
Scar itself is actually fairly lightweight for a Battle Rifle. its like just at 8lbs but supremely well balanced. The problem with its weight is that its AMMO is heavy as fuck and you cant carry much of it. any 7.62 NATO weapon system is gonna run into THAT problem.

The reciprocating bolt on it is bullshit. There is no reason in this day and age, for an advanced weapon system to still have that as a feature. especially one as expensive as a SCAR. another cool fact? its accuracy at range is actually very mediocre. its got a short little barrel on it (for a .308). People think this thing was designed to reach out and zap dudes from 600+ when it really wasnt, its really just designed to do what the M4a1 does but with better ballistics and penetration at those ranges. The ACTUAL long range set up for the SCAR, the Mk20, is heavy as a motherfucker and long as shit too WITHOUT optics.

Scar itself is actually fairly lightweight for a Battle Rifle. its like just at 8lbs but supremely well balanced. The problem with its weight is that its AMMO is heavy as fuck and you cant carry much of it. any 7.62 NATO weapon system is gonna run into THAT problem.

The reciprocating bolt on it is bullshit. There is no reason in this day and age, for an advanced weapon system to still have that as a feature. especially one as expensive as a SCAR. another cool fact? its accuracy at range is actually very mediocre. its got a short little barrel on it (for a .308). People think this thing was designed to reach out and zap dudes from 600+ when it really wasnt, its really just designed to do what the M4a1 does but with better ballistics and penetration at those ranges. The ACTUAL long range set up for the SCAR, the Mk20, is heavy as a motherfucker and long as shit too WITHOUT optics.
They’re also incredibly unreliable.

They’re also incredibly unreliable.
And when they break its like a revolver. Catastrophic to the point you have to send them back to like FN as there aren’t a ton of certified FN armorers out there.
AR15 or the stamped AK.... can fix with a fan multi tool usually.

okay , thanks for your opinion
I never said any thing bad about AR-15 Hell I own a couple , own a Ak too . But I like the 416 , I believe it to be a great Rifle. Calm your tits
The problem I have with the HK is its price. Even a full blown Mk18 SBR WITH the atf tax stamp isn’t as much as the MR556 which is the civilian HK 416. Just purely from a financial perspective they’re not a practical rifle unless you have a boatload of disposable income.

The problem I have with the HK is its price. Even a full blown Mk18 SBR WITH the atf tax stamp isn’t as much as the MR556 which is the civilian HK 416. Just purely from a financial perspective they’re not a practical rifle unless you have a boatload of disposable income.
The MR556 isn't even chrome-lined. <Lmaoo>

Back