Former UFC champ Frank Mir will face Antonio Tarver in a boxing match

On one hand, this is random and even at 52 years old I expect Tarver to win. On the other hand, good for Mir -- he is competitive as hell and driven to test himself even past his prime. He likely is financially set and could make a living with seminars, running a gym, and endorsement deals but he continues to remain active. I dig that and wish him good luck (which I personally believe he will need).

Nothing good about Mir getting more CTE. He's been KO'd more than enough already. It doesn't matter whether Tarver finishes him or not...Mir doesn't need any more blows to the head.

This is going to be a bad night for the MMA fighters.

These aren't real boxing matches they're exhibition fights.

Jake Paul thinks he's a pro boxer because he hasn't faced a pro boxer yet.

It's a simple cash grab. Entertainment

Maybe because it's a boxing event?

<TheWire1>

You just blew that guys mind..
Now you have to clean it up.

Also its sad you even had to explain it.
Look asshats, I understand this particular event is a boxing match, my point isn't about the event, but that MMA fighters engaging in boxing vice the other way around. Since we are on an MMA sight I wouldn't think that wanting fights to take place under those rules instead of boxing would be too much of a stretch.

I dont' follow boxing, but apparently this guy held multiple boxing championships? And Frank is challenging this guy to a boxing match? What an atrocious idea.

I think some of these guys are over exaggerating what Tarver will do to him.

52 year old Tarver is not in the same stratosphere as 40 year old Floyd.

He was elite in his prime, but he is a career 175 pounder, and 52 years old :D

Tarver should win, but I expect them both to look like they don't belong in there.

Look asshats, I understand this particular event is a boxing match, my point isn't about the event, but that MMA fighters engaging in boxing vice the other way around. Since we are on an MMA sight I wouldn't think that wanting fights to take place under those rules instead of boxing would be too much of a stretch.

It is..
All mma fighters train stand up / boxing, no boxer trains grappling.
What would be the point of having an MMA fighter with years of grappling facing a boxer with 0 training in grappling?
There is no competitive aspect of that .

It is..
All mma fighters train stand up / boxing, no boxer trains grappling.
What would be the point of having an MMA fighter with years of grappling facing a boxer with 0 training in grappling?
There is no competitive aspect of that .

Exactly. Boxing has become a big part of MMA, especially in this wrestlebox era.

It's now not uncommon at all for MMA fighters to get proper boxing trainers. GSP did it years ago with Freddie, and you now have guys like Poirier with legit boxing training etc.

So if MMA fighters want to fight actual boxers, have at it, and it makes much more sense than anything else.

Exactly. Boxing has become a big part of MMA, especially in this wrestlebox era.

It's now not uncommon at all for MMA fighters to get proper boxing trainers. GSP did it years ago with Freddie, and you now have guys like Poirier with legit boxing training etc.

So if MMA fighters want to fight actual boxers, have at it, and it makes much more sense than anything else.

also on here we see regular threads about who has the best boxing in MMA.
I dont think there is any threads in the boxing forum about which boxer has the best BJJ.
And lets not forget all the MMA fighters that talks about competing in boxing / calling out boxers / or have boxing records.

Sorry man, I don’t scour sherdog every minute of every day. I didn’t see any threads on this on the first or second page, if it’s already been made mods are free to move or delete it.

Use the search function, ya fucking goof.

giphy.gif

I actually think this sounds like a good fight. Mir is not a bad boxer and he's huge. Tarver hasn't boxed since 2015. It's a fair match up.

Big Nog boxed Mir up...Antonio Tarver will murder him, even at his advanced age. It cracks me up all these people saying "I don't follow boxing". If you are a true follower of MMA you should know that boxing was the precursor and is an integral facet of MMA. Long before MMA there was boxing and some of the greatest wars of all time (in any combat sport) took place within the four posts. A practitioner of a singular combat sport will almost always win against a mixed martial artist, in their sport...conversely, a mixed martial artist will almost always win an MMA match against a singular combat sport practitioner. As far as boxing, if you are an MMA fan how could you not be a fan of, and respect the "sweet science".

Even at Tarver's age, he should have more than enough left in the tank to make this a bad night for Mir.

It's a freak show but I'll watch.

Nothing good about Mir getting more CTE. He's been KO'd more than enough already. It doesn't matter whether Tarver finishes him or not...Mir doesn't need any more blows to the head.
Yeah you're probably right -- he should stick with grappling if he still wants to compete.

Reactions: mkt
Mir is supposed to fight a guy who used to weigh 175? And not a Rumble kind of 170. Mir is huge. If he loses that would not look good.
Tarver is a big guy himself. He cut down to 175 but was probably closer to 190 in the ring and he fought as a HW himself. Mir might be a big HW but size plays a role more when the match is evenly matched. If Tarver is in shape for the fight Mir will likely be knocked completely unconscious.

Antonio Tarver had been spamming social media calling for a fight with Mike Tyson and/or Roy Jones again. Guarantee after he beats Frank Mir he’ll do a call out towards them. If anything I’d maybe be interested in the Antonio Tarver / Glen Johnson rubber match

Antonio Tarver had been spamming social media calling for a fight with Mike Tyson and/or Roy Jones again. Guarantee after he beats Frank Mir he’ll do a call out towards them. If anything I’d maybe be interested in the Antonio Tarver / Glen Johnson rubber match
I haven't seen him in years but I'll bet he's still in great shape. Not sure he's a big enough name to sell that fight though.

Back