Social Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore collapses after getting hit by a container ship

Massive effort to clear Baltimore bridge collapse is an ‘incredibly complex job,’ governor says. Here’s how they’ll do it

By Elizabeth Wolfe, Elise Hammond and Aditi Sangal, CNN | March 29, 2024

2024-03-26t115935z-1644299610-rc2nt6aaokj9-rtrmadp-3-maryland-incident-bridge-copy.jpg

Crews working to clear the steel frame of the collapsed Francis Scott Key Bridge and the 984-foot cargo ship that felled it face “an incredibly complex job” – one that is essential to reopening the Port of Baltimore and recovering the remains that may lie under the wreckage, Maryland Gov. Wes Moore said Thursday.

“When you have a chance to see that wreckage up close, you fully understand the enormity of the challenge,” Moore said in a news conference, noting, “Our timeline will be long.”

The largest crane in the Eastern Seaboard was expected to arrive Thursday evening to help clear the wreckage, Maryland Sen. Chris Van Hollen said, though it wasn’t yet on site as of early Friday. Additionally, three heavy lift vessels should begin arriving Friday, Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg told CNN.

Maryland officials are working “full speed” to reopen the vital shipping channel and revive traffic through the port – the largest in the US for autos and light trucks, handling a record 850,000 vehicles last year, Moore said. Nonetheless, he said, “We have a very long road ahead of us.”

The cargo ship – nearly the length of the Eiffel Tower – has had as many as 4,000 tons of steel frame weighing on its bow since it struck the Key Bridge early Tuesday, sending a crew of eight construction workers plunging to the waters below, he said.

Only two workers survived and the bodies of two others were later pulled from the water. Authorities believe the submerged tangle of steel and concrete is enveloping the remains of the last four construction workers, and say the debris must be removed before divers can safely search the area.

Recovery efforts will continue to be a top priority, Moore said, adding that it is “our obligation to bring a sense of closure to these families.”

Officials are conducting a full assessment of the debris pieces before they can be lifted from the water, US Coast Guard Rear Adm. Shannon Gilreath said. This appraisal is critical in determining how small to cut the bridge pieces so cranes can lift them, he said.

Over 2,400 feet of boom have also been deployed to contain any potential pollution leaks from the ship, Moore said. National Transportation Safety Board investigators have said 56 containers on the vessel contain hazardous material, mostly corrosives and flammables, as well as some lithium-ion batteries.

Demolition workers may be able to clear a channel large enough for ships to pass through as soon as a month after the required equipment arrives on scene, according to an expert in the field familiar with ongoing discussions.

The expert, who spoke to CNN on condition that his name not be used, said it will likely take longer than that to remove all the debris, but clearing the 1,200-foot area between the two pillars that supported the bridge’s main span will be enough to reopen the port to traffic.

The Army Corps will cover the full cost of clearing the channel where the bridge collapsed, Sen. Van Hollen said.

Federal transportation officials said Thursday they would provide the $60 million requested by Moore as a “down payment” toward clearing and rebuilding the Key Bridge. The funds, requested by state officials earlier Thursday, will go toward removing debris, rerouting traffic and ultimately rebuilding the bridge.

The state can later request additional funding, and Maryland’s congressional delegation said they would press fellow lawmakers to fund the rebuilding project.

‘This is about the nation’s economy’​

The economic fallout of the bridge collapse could be wide-ranging as the crisis has indefinitely halted the flow of ships in and out of the Port of Baltimore and delivered a stunning blow to the thousands of dock workers who rely on the busy port.

“This is not just about Maryland, this is about the nation’s economy,” Moore said Thursday. “The port handles more cars and more farm equipment than any other port in America. And at least 8,000 workers on the docks have jobs that have been directly affected by this collapse.”

To aid port workers, the Maryland Department of Labor has established a hotline for unemployment insurance, the governor said.

Ports up and down the East Coast are gearing up to temporarily accommodate cargo shipments that would have otherwise arrived in Baltimore, and several sectors will have to reroute supply chains, including railroad and trucking operations, Buttigieg told CNN Thursday.

Earlier, the governors of New York and New Jersey said their Port Authority could take on additional cargo to minimize supply chain disruptions.

Managing supply chain disruptions and reopening the port “is not going to be a small project by any stretch,” Buttigieg said.

“We know that it’s going to be costly, but we also know that that cost is worth it to get Baltimore back on its feet, to get everything back to normal and to support our traffic systems and supply chains,” he added.

Investigators interviewing vessel’s pilots and crew​

As salvage efforts are underway, the National Transportation Safety Board has been gathering evidence at the scene of the crash, interviewing witnesses and analyzing the ship’s data recordings.

Two pilots who were tasked with guiding the ship out of port were expected to be interviewed by authorities Thursday. The vessel’s captain, his mate, the chief engineer and another engineer have already spoken to investigators, said NTSB chair Jennifer Homendy.

Investigators have used audio and data from the 213-million-pound ship’s voyage data recorder to extract clues as to what happened in the moments leading up to the collision.

The first sign of distress came just under three minutes before the crash when the cargo ship’s pilot called over the radio requesting any tugboats in the area to respond to the vessel, Homendy said.

Within a minute, police officers on both ends of the bridge were ordered to stop traffic crossing the bridge, said Marcel Muise, the NTSB investigator in charge of the collapse inquiry. Officials have credited this swift action for saving lives.

During their first full day at the scene Wednesday, investigators saw the “utter devastation” of the mangled bridge – pieces of which are still draped over the ship’s bow, Homendy said.

The Dali, a Singaporean-flagged container vessel, had 23 people on board – 21 crew members and two pilots. Of the crew members, 20 are Indian nationals who are “in good shape” following the crash, India’s Ministry of External Affairs said Thursday.

Only one member was slightly injured and required some stitches, said spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal.

All crew members were still onboard the cargo ship as of Thursday, said an Indian Ministry of External Affairs senior official familiar with the matter.

Come on now, I can tell when its needed and when its a pavement princess. Tell tale signs that a truck is actually used for its intended purpose:

• Standard or extended cab instead of crew cab
  • Stock white paint
  • Toolbox in the back
  • Dirt on the tires

Signs its a glorified minivan:

• Crew cab
  • Lifted tires
  • Flashy paint job
  • Spotless

Can't speak for everyone but I have two trucks. One is more for towing the camper. It's a crew cab room for people and dogs.

The other my older is more work truck. More hauling everything from lumber and such to making trash runs since out here there is no trash pickup. You have to take your own to the station.

You haven’t been anywhere else in the world? Where else drive pickups with 400+ horsepower and weighs over 5000 lbs. it’s a vanity and pleasure thing.

The trucks keep getting heavier while the bed itself is shrinking and the cabin keeps getting bigger. It’s a minivan with trunk that isn’t covered. Go look at lorries across the world. You are going to tell me small cabin and larger bed isn’t suitable for work trucks?

You don't seem to know much about the US other then city life. Do ypu even live in the US.

Maryland officials are working “full speed” to reopen the vital shipping channel and revive traffic through the port – the largest in the US for autos and light trucks, handling a record 850,000 vehicles last year, Moore said. Nonetheless, he said, “We have a very long road ahead of us.”
Pick up trucks were more relevant to the conversation than I first thought.

In seriousness I wonder how this will affect the price of cars and trucks and if certain types of vehicles will be more affected than others. I also wonder what other specific goods might be uniquely disrupted by this. The article mentions lithium batteries so I wonder if that will affect the EV market.

You don't seem to know much about the US other than city life. Do ypu even live in the US.
Dude you have two trucks. Lol you just proved my point. You have one work truck and one truck for leisure activities. Keep telling me I am not American now lol.

Seriously go look up how many trucks are being sold in America and how many are actually being used for leisure activities. You will probably change your mind about it being some necessity.

Last edited:
Dude you have two trucks. Lol you just proved my point. You have one work truck and one truck for leisure activities. Keep telling me I am not American now lol.

Seriously go look up how many trucks are being sold in America and how many are actually being used for leisure activities. You will probably change your mind about it being some necessity.

My old truck is 20 years old and it's my everyday driver. The newer truck mostly sits unless I need it for something the old girl will not do.

You have no idea what is needed is any rural area.

I live in rural ND, in the heart of farming country. I’ve been a farmer all my life.
I get by with a Ranger just fine 95% of the time.

Depending on what you tow. I don't see a ranger towing much. How does it work out when you put the harvester on the flat bed when you have to get it somewhere.

Depending on what you tow. I don't see a ranger towing much. How does it work out when you put the harvester on the flat bed when you have to get it somewhere.

When I have to take a harvester to the field, I drive it. It has wheels.
Where are you finding these combines that fit on a flat bed trailer that can be towed by a pickup? My 1688 is 30 years old, and won't fit on a flat bed trailer that can be towed by a pickup.

My old truck is 20 years old and it's my everyday driver. The newer truck mostly sits unless I need it for something the old girl will not do.

You have no idea what is needed is any rural area.

Lmao na youre a tool for having two trucks, one for work and one for personal use. You should only own a single car and it should be a Prius imo.

When I have to take a harvester to the field, I drive it. It has wheels.
Where are you finding these combines that fit on a flat bed trailer that can be towed by a pickup? My 1688 is 30 years old, and won't fit on a flat bed trailer that can be towed by a pickup.

Depends on the harvester the truck and the flatbed.

F350 or f450 fifth wheel.

The harvest separate from the tractor.

Most farmers around here have a couple of trucks. Some big 450 or 550 and smaller ones depending on the job at hand.

Last edited:
Lmao na youre a tool for having two trucks, one for work and one for personal use. You should only own a single car and it should be a Prius imo.

Sarcastic I hope.

GJsnLk_WMAAK1zg

The right desperately trying to make this a race issue really lets the real reason out why they suddenly freaked out about dei. They cant even handle that the mayor is black.
What kind of person would agree with someone like this....ohhh
GJrH12dWcAAOkEt

Black Twitter's response to this is hilarious because they quickly realized that in many contexts "DEI" is interchangeable with "n*gger" and now they're all using it that way:

"DEI please!!"

"These DEI's be trippin'!!"

"Can't take these DEI's anywhere."

Lolz

Black Twitter's response to this is hilarious because they quickly realized that in many contexts "DEI" is interchangeable with "n*gger" and now they're all using it that way:

"DEI please!!"

"These DEI's be trippin'!!"

"Can't take these DEI's anywhere."

Lolz
Aren’t white people the minority in Baltimore? Seems if the mayor were white, then they would have a DEI mayor.

Depends on the harvester the truck and the flatbed.

F350 or f450 fifth wheel.

The harvest separate from the tractor.

Most farmers around here have a couple of trucks. Some big 450 or 550 and smaller ones depending on the job at hand.

This can't be hauled with a pickup and flatbed.
maxresdefault.jpg

This can't be hauled with a pickup and flatbed.
maxresdefault.jpg

I understand that but they separate different types of harvester parts and haul those. Well around here and where I have lived and still live.

Back