Elections GOP candidate trying to raise voting age to 25

I think most corporate subsidies are bad policy, but to some extent, they could be offset by other benefits. But yeah, that's kind of another issue. Bottom line is that there are a lot of people who benefit from the contributions of others--it's really impossible to have a society that isn't set up that way. So it says a lot about which specific examples offend people. I think SNAP ultimately is more than self-funding in terms of how it affects kids' future productivity. Plus, as mentioned, rich kids use up more of society's resources and equally contribute nothing while they are kids.
And let's be real here, SNAP goes right back into the economy. How would grocery stores fair if SNAP went away? Not well.

I don't know if 25 year olds are more competent than 18 year olds

Probably very person-specific. Our girls are 21 and 25. I'd put their maturity up against a lot of people 5-10 years older than them. Especially stupid men that age.
Exactly. It depends on the person.

And let's be real here, SNAP goes right back into the economy. How would grocery stores fair if SNAP went away? Not well.

In a way all spending goes right back into the economy. Really does make more sense to think of gov't spending in terms of deadweight and inefficient use of resources (if it leads to that) and total spending in terms of resource use. But that seems like too big a step for some of these people.

In a way all spending goes right back into the economy. Really does make more sense to think of gov't spending in terms of deadweight and inefficient use of resources (if it leads to that) and total spending in terms of resource use. But that seems like too big a step for some of these people.
Poor people spend their money.
The wealthy horde it.

Really does make more sense to think of gov't spending in terms of deadweight and inefficient use of resources (if it leads to that) and total spending in terms of resource use.

As part of the Federal program I manage, I needed to have a domain name transferred to another registrar. I think the total cost for the transfer was going to be less than $15. Should've been easy to work with a government credit card holder to complete the purchase right? Wrong. By the time it was all said and done, I bet this ultimately cost us closer to $100 due to the number of people who needed to approve it and ultimately complete an action to get the transfer paid for and completed. The government is great at setting itself up for failure and wasting resources/time.

Poor people spend their money.
The wealthy horde it.

The wealthy (whatever income that might be) spend it too and are probably more apt to use all of the loopholes available to buy something and depreciate it, etc.

My wife and I are by no means wealthy, but we're doing just fine and tend to try and save more than we used to because we actually can . . . if I can get to the point where I would be seen as a hoarder I'd be okay with that . . .

Have you told him he’s a piece of shit or do you only cry about welfare recipients online
Cry? We share our opinions on here if you weren't aware... What would me telling him he's a piece of shit accomplish? He's not the point, the point is there is too much corruption and leeches shouldn't be allowed to vote to make decisions for me or the country they take from instead of give to... People should be incentivised to get off welfare and in my hypothetical they would be invited to participate in society through the economy, allowing them to vote...

As part of the Federal program I manage, I needed to have a domain name transferred to another registrar. I think the total cost for the transfer was going to be less than $15. Should've been easy to work with a government credit card holder to complete the purchase right? Wrong. By the time it was all said and done, I bet this ultimately cost us closer to $100 due to the number of people who needed to approve it and ultimately complete an action to get the transfer paid for and completed. The government is great at setting itself up for failure and wasting resources/time.

Sure. But the cost is the time people spent approving it when they could have been doing something more useful. The hunnert bucks went to people who then spent it on something and thus put it back in someone else's pocket.

Sure. But the cost is the time people spent approving it when they could have been doing something more useful. The hunnert bucks went to people who then spent it on something and thus put it back in someone else's pocket.

I know where the costs come from . . . that wasn't the point. The point is that folks complain about inefficiency . . . my comment was a very common example of inefficient work that wasn't needed to get something done other than because it was a Federal government requirement to spend $10-15.

We're still paid whether it's doing something like this or working on another project.

"Higher" IQ doesn't =/= you're actually useful to society. The people you're unironically shitting on are largely responsible for keeping this country running. Know plenty of high IQ college dopes that couldn't change a flat tire... Never mind other things that really matter.

Total fail

I'm not the one that proposed IQ tests for voters. For every college dope that can't change a tire, I could rustle up 2 high school grads that can't write a complete sentence or formulate a coherent thought.

If you're an adult (i.e. you can enter into legally binding contracts), and a U.S. citizen, whose life is affected by the passage of laws, you should be afforded your right to vote. Period.

Cry? We share our opinions on here if you weren't aware... What would me telling him he's a piece of shit accomplish? He's not the point, the point is there is too much corruption and leeches shouldn't be allowed to vote to make decisions for me or the country they take from instead of give to... People should be incentivised to get off welfare and in my hypothetical they would be invited to participate in society through the economy, allowing them to vote...
Incentivize them how exactly?
Unemployment coverage obviously doesn’t last forever. In regards to other welfare, 50% of the people on it get off within a year anyhow. By 2 years it’s 70% that are off. When it comes to something like SNAP (food stamps) one can stay on forever but has to be below a certain income threshold. They already “participate in society through the economy,” but simply don’t make enough money to provide for their families. We’re talking like less than $1500/month for a 2 person household.

Something tells me you’re not going to help them get off SNAP by supporting a living wage or higher minimum wage; they also can’t afford college in order to get a better job. I worked with someone awhile back who was a single mom, and would turn down raises during employment reviews because a raise would’ve put her just over the threshold to qualify for state medical care and SNAP for food, and once they lost those they’d have been worse off and unable to provide for their kids even though they made slightly more money. Fucked up situation, really.

What does your plan to incentivize it look like?

Don't try to explain the multiplier effect, you'll hurt his brain.

So if you are laid off from your seasonal job from say October to December and receiving benefits during that time you shouldn’t be able to vote?
FYI
  • Nearly three-quarters of adults who participate in SNAP in a typical month work either that month or within a year of that month of participation. Over half of individuals who were participating in SNAP in a typical month in mid-2012 were working in that month. Furthermore, 74 percent worked in the year before or after that month (in the 25-month period). Rates were even higher when work among other household members is counted: 81 percent of SNAP households with a non-disabled adult, and 87 percent of households with children and a non-disabled adult, included at least one member who worked in this 25-month period.

So if you are laid off from your seasonal job from say October to December and receiving benefits during that time you shouldn’t be able to vote?
FYI
  • Nearly three-quarters of adults who participate in SNAP in a typical month work either that month or within a year of that month of participation. Over half of individuals who were participating in SNAP in a typical month in mid-2012 were working in that month. Furthermore, 74 percent worked in the year before or after that month (in the 25-month period). Rates were even higher when work among other household members is counted: 81 percent of SNAP households with a non-disabled adult, and 87 percent of households with children and a non-disabled adult, included at least one member who worked in this 25-month period.
Dude... Give it up... It doesn't matter, you quote these stats as if they're the end all and complete. Welfare is great, especially in a country with so much wealth and prosperity, it's also being abused and the abuse could be argued to be by design.

People are easily manipulated when they are given free shit but that's not all. There is an epidemic of weakness and control as it relates to welfare. In my policy(s) there's room for nuance. Every single case would be analyzed, audited and monitored to ensure its benefiting the individual and their family, and in turn, the country. Not harming those things as I see it, for any apathetic or nefarious reasons... People who abuse welfare should forfeit their right to vote and people should be incentivised to get off welfare, period... I'm not posting about this again so stop quoting me please...

Dude... Give it up... It doesn't matter, you quote these stats as if they're the end all and complete. Welfare is great, especially in a country with so much wealth and prosperity, it's also being abused and the abuse could be argued to be by design.

People are easily manipulated when they are given free shit but that's not all. There is an epidemic of weakness and control as it relates to welfare. In my policy(s) there's room for nuance. Every single case would be analyzed, audited and monitored to ensure its benefiting the individual and their family, and in turn, the country. Not harming those things as I see it, for any apathetic or nefarious reasons... People who abuse welfare should forfeit their right to vote and people should be incentivised to get off welfare, period... I'm not posting about this again so stop quoting me please...
You’re the one with the bright idea that poor people shouldn’t vote because they are leeches.

Back