Gordon Ryan lately…

I might be wrong, but Gordon is making good money being the king of his niche.

He's a smart guy, I'm not sure he really wants to get punched in the head.. my gut tells me he doesn't really want it. But I def could be wrong.

I don't think it's a good idea honestly, some guys would knock him out.

He's a smart guy...?

Smart regarding BJJ, absolutely.
A smart human being? No, he's absolutely an idiot.

1. I’m not some BJJ hardcore.
2. Although I don’t watch every IBJJF dark match, I do totally respect the greatness of Gordon Ryan. It’s frightening how good that man is, he’s like a chess master who just never loses… ever.
3. I do find the ‘stomach issues’ kind of ironic, especially when you hear guys like MPMD breakdown how PED over-usage can mess up your stomach forever. Talk about living by the sword…

So, I’ve set out my table on where I stand on Gordon, for the most part utter admiration for the man’s skills, whilst still seeing a gaping hole in his likability.

A few questions:

Is he going full Jordan Burroughs on us here? Does he have any chance of transitioning to MMA if the PED testing goes a little more ‘in house’?

Did anyone else find it extremely unbecoming of a GOAT in his sport, cheerleading and prostituting his time and presence for Logan Paul? Can you imagine Logan parading out Jones or GSP to ‘make Dillon look bad’ - how embarrassing would that look for MMA.

Gordon needs a new challenge in my book. Should cut out that clown show and should try to transition to MMA. Thoughts?

Yeah gordan wins but hes also. Ot some guy whis just levels above the rest.

Hes cheap

Why would he move to mma? A B level sport, he is already the goat at no gi bjj and its in his prime.

I am an absolute casual, but the few times I seen him competing my impression was that he is one level above the rest of the competition. As I said, absolute casual.

1. I’m not some BJJ hardcore.
2. Although I don’t watch every IBJJF dark match, I do totally respect the greatness of Gordon Ryan. It’s frightening how good that man is, he’s like a chess master who just never loses… ever.
3. I do find the ‘stomach issues’ kind of ironic, especially when you hear guys like MPMD breakdown how PED over-usage can mess up your stomach forever. Talk about living by the sword…

So, I’ve set out my table on where I stand on Gordon, for the most part utter admiration for the man’s skills, whilst still seeing a gaping hole in his likability.

A few questions:

Is he going full Jordan Burroughs on us here? Does he have any chance of transitioning to MMA if the PED testing goes a little more ‘in house’?

Did anyone else find it extremely unbecoming of a GOAT in his sport, cheerleading and prostituting his time and presence for Logan Paul? Can you imagine Logan parading out Jones or GSP to ‘make Dillon look bad’ - how embarrassing would that look for MMA.

Gordon needs a new challenge in my book. Should cut out that clown show and should try to transition to MMA. Thoughts?

No. Danis is a better fighter which says a lot.

I might be wrong, but Gordon is making good money being the king of his niche.

He's a smart guy, I'm not sure he really wants to get punched in the head.. my gut tells me he doesn't really want it. But I def could be wrong.

I don't think it's a good idea honestly, some guys would knock him out.
I doubt he goes to mma, but then again it’s HW MMA….. the bar isn’t that high

This.

If Nicholas Meregali can transition into high level no gi competition after a lifetime of competing in the gi then Gordon should be able to make the switch. Meregali also took some L's in no gi and is clearly still learning.......and I don't think Gordon is willing to be humbled in order to perfect a different part of the game.

It's good to be the king.
There is also the issue that GI BJJ is fucking boring

lencyfnjeyt31.jpg
Holy shit he ballooned up

Isn't he the scrub who has to be roided out of his mind to overcome his lack of natural ability?

everyone talking about roids is a huge puss...gordon is the only guy on roids, bjj or mma right? hes not the kind of athlete to be top level in mma* because hes slow paced/not a fast twitch, explosive guy

serious question, if you were making millions of dollars dominating at what you do, why would you do something you dont want to? for the internet crybabies? who gives a shit about a gi, you want to see someone like keenan hold worm guard for 45 min on him just so you guys can come in here and say i told you so? use your heads, fucksake

For someone that doesn’t watch BJJ competitions, how good is this guy really? Can he dominate someone like Maia or Jacare with ease?
Yeah he can. Maia and jacare’s generation of bjj is my favorite and most applicable to mma I’m my opinion, but Gordon would destroy both of them with ease in no gi bjj

it’s actually insane how easily he beats everyone. He is very clearly a level above everyone else

There's no money in transitioning to the gi, so no real incentive for him to do so (I'd love to see him do it though).
MMA, why take the risk? He can just keep dominating no-gi bjj and probably make more money doing it.

He seems like he is perfectly content with being the king of the no-gi world, he might do something in the gi just to prove a point - but i dont see him dedicating himself to it.

He's a smart guy...?

Smart regarding BJJ, absolutely.
A smart human being? No, he's absolutely an idiot.
He is probably the first BJJ athlete to actually make large sums of money in the sport without owning an academy or federation.

That's pretty smart even if i disagree with most of what he says.

He is probably the first BJJ athlete to actually make large sums of money in the sport without owning an academy or federation.

That's pretty smart even if i disagree with most of what he says.

Doesn't make him intelligent.

He would transition to MMA even worse than Marcelo did. And Marcelo didn’t have to cut short a mountain of PEDs to make the switch. No reason to leave his lane here from the nogi goat island.

Lighter weight BJJ players adapt better to MMA because they inevitably have many more scrambles in light weight divisions. In heavier weight divisions, there are less scrambles and transitions. You are going to have to spend an awful lot of time eating punches on your feet, and if you aren’t blessed with naturally heavy hands and a concrete chin, good luck with that.

Back