Gordon Ryan lately…

Guys don't realize he isn't just butt scooting and heel hooking, he's mounting dudes and suffocating them (an ultimate top position sonning control move) until they give him whatever position he has in the box that he decides before the match even starts.

To call Gordon Ryan nothing but a butt scooter is ridiculous. For BJJ he's probably the best no go athlete in every position. He isn't gonna out wrestle all Americans but his top control and pressure is absolutely insane.
While this is true, if he tried to make a UFC run it would end with him buttscooting and looking goofy against the highest level guys. We have seen enough high level BJJ guys in modern MMA to see how it goes if they don't embrace and have talent for both striking and wrestling.

At some point he just needs to take the Craig Jones fight.

A friend of mine is real tight with the B-Team crew and was at DDS before. Here's how he described things: ''Craig Jones toys with everyone like they're children. Gordon does the same to Craig''.

I love Craig, but he's not winning this one.

A friend of mine is real tight with the B-Team crew and was at DDS before. Here's how he described things: ''Craig Jones toys with everyone like they're children. Gordon does the same to Craig''.

I don't think he is winning either, but instead of getting absolutely wrecked by Craig everytime he goes on social media, he could just beat him again and do it in the most embarassing way possible.

While this is true, if he tried to make a UFC run it would end with him buttscooting and looking goofy against the highest level guys. We have seen enough high level BJJ guys in modern MMA to see how it goes if they don't embrace and have talent for both striking and wrestling.
this^

1. I’m not some BJJ hardcore.
2. Although I don’t watch every IBJJF dark match, I do totally respect the greatness of Gordon Ryan. It’s frightening how good that man is, he’s like a chess master who just never loses… ever.
3. I do find the ‘stomach issues’ kind of ironic, especially when you hear guys like MPMD breakdown how PED over-usage can mess up your stomach forever. Talk about living by the sword…

So, I’ve set out my table on where I stand on Gordon, for the most part utter admiration for the man’s skills, whilst still seeing a gaping hole in his likability.

A few questions:

Is he going full Jordan Burroughs on us here? Does he have any chance of transitioning to MMA if the PED testing goes a little more ‘in house’?

Did anyone else find it extremely unbecoming of a GOAT in his sport, cheerleading and prostituting his time and presence for Logan Paul? Can you imagine Logan parading out Jones or GSP to ‘make Dillon look bad’ - how embarrassing would that look for MMA.

Gordon needs a new challenge in my book. Should cut out that clown show and should try to transition to MMA. Thoughts?

Is he going full Jordan Burroughs on us here? Not sure what you mean

Does he have any chance of transitioning to MMA if PED testing goes a little more 'in house' ? I do not think so. He is a good but MMA is more a of a athletic sport. I never saw Gordan as a super athlete where he could do physical things with the same ease as some other people. I do not think he has the same level of explosion as top MMA guys. He is more of a thinker and needs time to solve the problem.

Did anyone else find it extremely unbecoming of a GOAT in his sport, cheerleading and prostituting his time and presence for Logan Paul? Let's say Rickson and Roger were as good as Gordon. How many non BJJ people wanted to watch Rickson and Roger if it was not MMA or buchecha type match. People want to see Gordon to see if the hype is real and TBH to see him lose. I do not think it is unbecoming because what he is doing is bringing Jiu Jitsu more into the light. But it is he that is doing that by how he acts off the mat.

Personally I think he is playing a character. I met two people that met Gordon while he was a purple/brown belt. They did say he was a bit arrogant but nothing like TV. He was very respectful and helpful to most people. And those people were blue belts so they were not higher ranked than him(they were older though).

Can you imagine Logan parading out Jones or GSP to ‘make Dillon look bad’ - how embarrassing would that look for MMA. MMA did do some embarrassing things, Bob Sapp's godzilla routine on Japanese TV, the movie Virtuosity and a few others. I think Gordon does this to get some instagram views for his ego and to troll people.

If the clown show pays him then he will always do it. Right now he cares about views and money plus being the best in Jiu Jitsu. MMA is a risk for him and Jiu Jitsu is less.

Though some people may pay to watch him lose in MMA

I followed a bit the Danis - Logan Paul thing on Twitter and even distractedly watched the KO.. but I had no idea he was Logan's bodyguard. Pretty sad indeed lol.

Anyway, as for the MMA thing, I think that's a dead discussion. They (I mean both him and Danaher) had the idea of making the transition at some point years ago, but I guess a mix of things, the main one that in MMA training he probably didn't look as good as hoped, made them both quickly back pedal. If he's smart (and if his body doesn't betray him - he already doesn't look that good health wise) he'll stay king of NOGI for still many years.

Dude risks his value going to MMA now maybe if he gets handled in a random grappling match and loses the mystique but not right now..

Ryan is already King in No-Gi, and makes serious money from it. Why risk getting hit by the CTE Express in MMA when he can stay where he is, cement his legacy and make enough bank to retire a young man?

This.

If Nicholas Meregali can transition into high level no gi competition after a lifetime of competing in the gi then Gordon should be able to make the switch. Meregali also took some L's in no gi and is clearly still learning.......and I don't think Gordon is willing to be humbled in order to perfect a different part of the game.

It's good to be the king.

From a business standpoint gi is not where to focus. It will never be mainstream. Nogi at least has a chance.

He just posted on his ig he made over $7M from instructional sales. Then he has seminars + sponsors + competition winnings. There is no way he does MMA

That $7M was gross revenue to BJJ Fanatics including sales tax. His personal net income after tax would be at most two thirds of whatever his split is. Probably more like $2M. Still good. Has he made more than $7M in total? (And over what time period? Who knows?) Sure, maybe, I have no idea, but those numbers he posted were super misleading.

He'd be an idiot to move to MMA. If he's not a moron he should be set for life already.

That $7M was gross revenue to BJJ Fanatics including sales tax. His personal net income after tax would be at most two thirds of whatever his split is. Probably more like $2M. Still good. Has he made more than $7M in total? (And over what time period? Who knows?) Sure, maybe, I have no idea, but those numbers he posted were super misleading.

He'd be an idiot to move to MMA. If he's not a moron he should be set for life already.

He seems to be supporting quite a few people, but I guess that changed when DDS split and everyone went their seperate ways.

I think he will just turn up for ADCC and random matches here and there whilst making a fortune in instructionals. He is easier to digest than Danaher, but I wish he would use a similar sized person to demo on as opposed to his gf.

In no gi, he’s the greatest ever. There’s really no question.
Yes there is lmao. Do you think Marcelo was on roids? Everything gordon has done is tainted.

Yes there is lmao. Do you think Marcelo was on roids? Everything gordon has done is tainted.

I'm not really going to argue that point. Unlike say Barry Bonds, Gordon isn't breaking the rules of competition. But if you want an asterisk by Gordon's record, that's fine with me.

I'm not really going to argue that point. Unlike say Barry Bonds, Gordon isn't breaking the rules of competition. But if you want an asterisk by Gordon's record, that's fine with me.

barry bonds wasnt breaking any rules that gordon isnt, steroids werent illegal in baseball

btw this is all gay, quit worrying about this shit it has literally zero effect on your lives

Plus he is already 3-0 against Craig.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back