Gordon Ryan vs. Matheus Diniz

Maybe it was the angles but the photos I've seen of this match he was clearly bigger than Diniz who is pretty jacked himself.

It's not just what you pointed out but his ability to do long burst explosions (longer tan 10 seconds) then recover within seconds.

Reminds of a certain MMA fighter who fought the same way and then got exposed for being the lance armstrong of mma.
He outweighed diniz by 26 lbs of muscle. Diniz weighed in at a jacked 202 at 5’11 and Gordon was 228 at 6’2. He was noticeably bigger and thicker.

He outweighed diniz by 26 lbs of muscle. Diniz weighed in at a jacked 202 at 5’11 and Gordon was 228 at 6’2. He was noticeably bigger and thicker.
That is crazy - he is so big (not fat but muscle) and just doesn't get tired. And yes, when skills are comparable, then conditioning will come in to play.

That is crazy - he is so big (not fat but muscle) and just doesn't get tired. And yes, when skills are comparable, then conditioning will come in to play.
You think that gordon overpowered him? Like gabby garcia?

when Gordon grapples he doesn’t really have an overwhelmingly physical game. He kind of just probes and then attacks when you open something up. Never really forces anything and avoids wild scrambles, that’s how he doesn’t get tired.

when Gordon grapples he doesn’t really have an overwhelmingly physical game. He kind of just probes and then attacks when you open something up. Never really forces anything and avoids wild scrambles, that’s how he doesn’t get tired.

I think even Kennan said Ryan’s game was more technical than physical when they rolled. But that was before they started disliking each other.

I agree but when someone is incredibly strong , stronger than the other person and STRONG in all positions , they can “ flow “. It’s like rolling with a woman ( sorry ladies ) if you’re a man . You can conserve energy , flow , use technique. But that’s partly because iof strength Like doling with a good 10 year old . You’re gonna appear super technical and flowy. Gordon had 26 lbs of muscle on Diniz too which every bit Diniz carried when mounted. I’m not saying Diniz is as strong as a woman or a 10 year old . He’s a beast . But to ignore Gordon’s strength as a factor in facilitating his technique is to be disingenuous. He is technical beyond belief but put pre enhanced Gordon against Diniz and lets see how it plays out . I’m convinced he’s not only on strength enhancements but endurance ones as well. Nick Rodriguez too . They can push the pace in anaerobic bursts and recover instantly . Not normal . Not with that muscle mass. Nick pushes the pace even more than Gordon .

Last edited:
I agree but when someone is incredibly strong , stronger than the other person and STRONG in all positions , they can “ flow “. It’s like rolling with a woman ( sorry ladies ) if you’re a man . You can conserve energy , flow , use technique. But that’s partly because iof strength Like doling with a good 10 year old . You’re gonna appear super technical and flowy. Gordon had 26 lbs of muscle on Diniz too which every bit Diniz carried when mounted. I’m not saying Diniz is as strong as a woman or a 10 year old . He’s a beast . But to ignore Gordon’s strength as a factor in facilitating his technique is to be disingenuous. He is technical beyond belief but put pre enhanced Gordon against Diniz and lets see how it plays out . I’m convinced he’s not only on strength enhancements but endurance ones as well. Nick Rodriguez too . They can push the pace in anaerobic bursts and recover instantly . Not normal . Not with that muscle mass. Nick pushes the pace even more than Gordon .
But Gordon doesn’t really explode, it’s methodical. Galvao may be another story... he pushes the pace

But Gordon doesn’t really explode, it’s methodical. Galvao may be another story... he pushes the pace
I half agree. He doesn’t grit and change his facial expressions like Galvao or Nick but there’s no doubt he explodes in his matches . Maybe not as gritty as the two mentioned . But Gordon ( and prob Nicky ) seem to me to be bit in Aspergers Syndrome. They show very very little facial emotion. It’s hard to tell how hard Gordon is really working at times . Rafa is similar but not as autistic like.

I half agree. He doesn’t grit and change his facial expressions like Galvao or Nick but there’s no doubt he explodes in his matches . Maybe not as gritty as the two mentioned . But Gordon ( and prob Nicky ) seem to me to be bit in Aspergers Syndrome. They show very very little facial emotion. It’s hard to tell how hard Gordon is really working at times . Rafa is similar but not as autistic like.
Not sure where the Rafa blank face idea comes from. In matches he’s one of the craziest/wild face making grapplers ever. He’s the opposite of stoic.

Last edited:
Not sure where the Rafa blank fave idea comes from. In matches he’s one of the craziest/wild face making grapplers ever. He’s the opposite of stoic.
Yeah, absolutely. Just watch his face while finishing Queixinho at the Worlds!

Marcelo always keeps a blank face and doesn't show strain during fights... he's talked about that a lot, so he's quite conscious of it.

I don't get the Gordon hate for this fight; he was exceptionally sportsmanlike, and while the rule set and weight advantage favored him, Matheus did agree to it. I think both fighters did a good job, though I wish Matheus had some coaching from someone on his team. I want to see Paul Schreiner coaching vs. Danaher.

The match itself was good. I expected Gordon to win and he did. I thought both looked pretty good to be honest. Gordon showed great control and technique and Mathis showed heart and good defense. I was worried Mathias was going to stall, but he was actually trying to pass and win. Even though he couldn't get his game going, he never refused to engage or went into pure defense mode. I was surprised and I pressed with his deep half sweep when Gordon went for the Kimura. The heel hook at the end also showed Gordon has studied what he did wrong and now has an answer to what Pena did to him twice. I'm not sure that people caught that leg position shift that stopped the Pena/Vinny style defense.

this...he grapples with constant pace/pressure but low intensity-when he is in an "offensive cyle" his breathing will be more efficient while at the same time his opponent will be in a "defensive cycle" and his breathing wont be nearly as efficient

He grappled at a consistent pace and doesn't wear himself out. Out of everyone I've rolled with he arguably has used the least energy. Besides isometric strength not much stands out about him athletically. He really is just more technical than his opponents and knows how to manage his energy output very well.

Also it's not spoken about much on here but I think there's a psychological disadvantage that anyone has going against someone known for frequent submissions. Especially if they are not just submissions on one part of the body. Even if you're very good at imposing your own game. There is something unnerving that can be mentally stressful when you roll with someone that you know can submit you at the 1st moment you fumble the ball and make a mistake. I think this tires people out faster.

Man that heel hooks shit is annoying and cheap AF
When someone gets their back taken and leaves their chin way up in the air open for the RNC, they call that person dumb. Yet when someone gets put into a cross ashi/4-11 and doesn't hide their heel to protect the heel hook, they don't call that person dumb. They say it's because the heel hook is cheap. That doesn't add up.

People have had over half a decade now of high level heel hooks to study. No excuses. Heel hook defense knowledge is actually pretty high right now and they are far from easy submissions to get.

At ADCC in 2019 there were only one or maybe two heel hooks (tops) besides the open weight/absolute division. Most of the heel hooks that happened were in the absolute division by Lachlan Giles, who used a particularly funky entry that was uncommon at the time. It caught most of his opponents off guard. Garry Tonon had the flying heel hook against an upright standing opponent in the absolute.

There's no excuse to be a professional grappler and consider heel hooks cheap. Just go and watch Craig Jones or Rob Degle's latest instructionals that cover heel hook defense.

Lol, all the DDS guys wrecked their opponents with heel hooks.
It's been a long time since I've seen so many heel hooks from them in one night. Gordon especially has moved away from heel hooks. Heel hooks are one of the last things I expect from Gordon now. He seems to pass to mount or the back and RNC or arm triangle. Craig has diversified his game with a lot of near-side underhook passing, guillotine, darce, and especially all sorts of triangle chokes.

Danaher was saying that the front headlock and the kimura tend to be the positions that decide who's going to win in the practice room now. He said everyone's leg locks and back takes are cancelling each other out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back