had a seizure a few days ago

Drinking to stay awake? Thought never entered my mind. Figured itd do the opposite.

recently i was let go of my job due to budget cuts. it came absolutely out of the blue, and i was completely taken off guard. this happened almost three weeks ago. ever since that took place, i began abusing alcohol, was completely stressed out, and didn't sleep at all. i was essentially a walking-talking zombie. i should have known something bad was going to take place, because before the actual seizure, i found it extremely difficult to stand due to lack of sleep, and used alcohol to keep me awake during the day.

apparently, i hit my head on concrete, and began convulsing and was foaming from the mouth. i was in this condition for around four minutes. and it was really bad, because it was my brother's birthday, and i completely collapsed in front of my entire family and friends. luckily, my brother's friend and wife were there and the husband is studying to be a doctor, and his wife is a nurse. the last thing i remember is going to a boba shop with them all to get one. i was standing there and began feeling a loss of balance. the next thing i remember, is being on a gurney and being taken to the back of an ambulance.

i get to the hospital, totally conscious, but feeling extremely drowsy. the doctor asked what my habits were for the past few weeks. i told him that i had lost my job, just signed a brand new lease, had lots of bills to pay, etc. for escapism and to numb the pain, i started drinking heavily. it helped with the pain, but with the stress i also couldn't sleep at night. and the doctor said, yup that definitely caused the seizure. went through all the procedures of getting my blood and urine samples, went through the mri or ekg, not sure the exact term, and was asked to stay at the hospital for like five more hours to make sure nothing happens to me during that time.

the moral of my story, is to say that first, don't abuse alcohol to relieve pain, and two, get enough sleep and don't stress out so much, and three, losing a job even if it's one you really liked, isn't worth getting into panic mode and hurting yourself.

anyway, just some friendly advice for an event that i hope none of you have to go through.

Sorry to hear that sir, it's a scary experience but definitely no reason to feel guilty or embarrassed. My guess is your friends are smart enough to understand you didn't do this for attention.

To share my own experience, of course the most important part of these forums - I've had two epileptic seizures myself, 1 year apart when I was in my late 30s.
The first one was unprovoked, apart from a lack of sleep I think. I was walking my dog and according to a bystander I just faceplanted on the sidewalk and proceeded to have spasms for ~5 minutes.
All I remember is walking down the street and waking up dripping wet (I could have pissed myself but luckily it was raining so they couldn't tell lol) in an ambulance with my dog inside.
The subsequent strobe light EEG (which is like an acid trip) and MRI did not show any indicators of epilepsy so I took a benzo called Urbanyl for a week and wasn't allowed to drive for 3 months and that was it.

The second one was definitely provoked by xanax withdrawals mixed with tramadol I took for severe backache - both of which are likely to provoke seizures.
This one happened while I was asleep (in bed next to my gf) and it was super weird to wake up for like half a second just to pass out and hearing myself then her scream in agony. Next thing I saw was two huge cops in front of our fucking bed while I was still swallowing blood and crumbles of my teeth. They must have thought it was a domestic violence case when my gf called.

Anyway, my only takeaways are that I'm glad I was not driving or cycling when this happened and that you can bet your ass you'll have one of those when you abuse benzos (and/or alcohol?). So don't, you idiots.

When something goes bad it does seem to many turn to alcohol. Hope you feel better soon, and find a job you enjoy.

Damn! I’m just glad I decided to focus on alcohol and females instead of alcohol and a career. No seizures here.

Wish you a speedy recovery!

Wow, glad your not retarded. But, what the hell did you think was going to happen?

I slept in a bush once.

recently i was let go of my job due to budget cuts. it came absolutely out of the blue, and i was completely taken off guard. this happened almost three weeks ago. ever since that took place, i began abusing alcohol, was completely stressed out, and didn't sleep at all. i was essentially a walking-talking zombie. i should have known something bad was going to take place, because before the actual seizure, i found it extremely difficult to stand due to lack of sleep, and used alcohol to keep me awake during the day.

apparently, i hit my head on concrete, and began convulsing and was foaming from the mouth. i was in this condition for around four minutes. and it was really bad, because it was my brother's birthday, and i completely collapsed in front of my entire family and friends. luckily, my brother's friend and wife were there and the husband is studying to be a doctor, and his wife is a nurse. the last thing i remember is going to a boba shop with them all to get one. i was standing there and began feeling a loss of balance. the next thing i remember, is being on a gurney and being taken to the back of an ambulance.

i get to the hospital, totally conscious, but feeling extremely drowsy. the doctor asked what my habits were for the past few weeks. i told him that i had lost my job, just signed a brand new lease, had lots of bills to pay, etc. for escapism and to numb the pain, i started drinking heavily. it helped with the pain, but with the stress i also couldn't sleep at night. and the doctor said, yup that definitely caused the seizure. went through all the procedures of getting my blood and urine samples, went through the mri or ekg, not sure the exact term, and was asked to stay at the hospital for like five more hours to make sure nothing happens to me during that time.

the moral of my story, is to say that first, don't abuse alcohol to relieve pain, and two, get enough sleep and don't stress out so much, and three, losing a job even if it's one you really liked, isn't worth getting into panic mode and hurting yourself.

anyway, just some friendly advice for an event that i hope none of you have to go through.
I fell and busted my head too. I dont remember how it happened and woke up stuck to the floor in a pool of dried blood. Got up took a shower and laid down and bled some more in another bedroom. The bathroom was covered in blood it looked like a war zone. I cant post pics on yellows but will soon.
I dont know if it was a seizure or what. I was on dilatin years ago to prevent seizures from a head injury I received but never had any. Dont know what else could have caused me to fall down so who knows.
Have you had any head injuries in the past?

Take good care dude. Good times follow bad times. Work has stressed me so much in the past, that I felt I was going to have a stroke. But eventually things get better if you get your shit together.
One thing I have learned over the years is NOT to stress about work. Companies change, colleagues come and go, but your health and your loved ones are with you permanently. Do NOT sacrifice too much for work, it s a sucker s play.

I fell and busted my head too. I dont remember how it happened and woke up stuck to the floor in a pool of dried blood. Got up took a shower and laid down and bled some more in another bedroom. The bathroom was covered in blood it looked like a war zone. I cant post pics on yellows but will soon.
I dont know if it was a seizure or what. I was on dilatin years ago to prevent seizures from a head injury I received but never had any. Dont know what else could have caused me to fall down so who knows.
Have you had any head injuries in the past?

damn, sorry to hear that. no, had no head injuries before. i mean i've gotten into fights when i was a kid, and had some bruises here and there, but nothing like what i experienced.

Take good care dude. Good times follow bad times. Work has stressed me so much in the past, that I felt I was going to have a stroke. But eventually things get better if you get your shit together.
One thing I have learned over the years is NOT to stress about work. Companies change, colleagues come and go, but your health and your loved ones are with you permanently. Do NOT sacrifice too much for work, it s a sucker s play.

thanks for the kind words and advice. this is unfortunately something i had to learn the hard way. hope others heed your advice.

I'm glad you're alright sir.
My mother used to have seizures, that shit used to scare the fuck outta me tbh.

Make the necessary changes and stick to them, that's the best thing you can do brother....much love.

I'm glad you're alright sir.
My mother used to have seizures, that shit used to scare the fuck outta me tbh.

Make the necessary changes and stick to them, that's the best thing you can do brother....much love.

thanks man, much appreciate.

no, he said that with the results of my testing coming back clean, and that i had never had one before, that it was probably an isolated incident, and to simply stop doing what i was doing.
Good. Take care, dude.

Glad you didn't mess yourself up too bad, always seem like a good guy from your posts. Good luck resting up and finding a new job!

did you stop drinking for a while and then this all happened?

did you have any withdrawl symptoms such as audio or visual hallucinations during this period or did you just go to seizure straight away?

i find this confusing, in a way as there are like 4 stages before seizures. them being sleepless nights/depression/itchy skin, audio and visual hallucinations and then finally seizures.

Back