Have Yall Ever Seen Marvel Cards.

s-l1600.jpg

Boris did the series I was thinking of

I remember they gave these out as a promotion for participating in the blockbuster video game championship challenge.

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemorieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssss..................

I collected them. I had this one and thought I was the shit

-8310290684692982977.jpg

I used to live right next to the factory/HQ of Pacific trading cards
Had an excellent store attached, that uh allegedly got routinely ganked by the middle schoolers of the area haha

Had to use Wizards or Becketts to peep the prices

I remember....

I still have these from the early 90s and yet people try to question my views on Spider Man.

KhiHcku.jpg

I always loved the ones with stats cause we used them to win card fights like Pokemon.
qaEbl2a.jpg

What they worth @TeTe
I don't see any Spiderman cards there, bub.

Your opinions on Spiderman were pretty bad. But high five to a fellow former card collector.
If my parents havent thrown them out, my collection should still be in some binders in a box somewhere in their garage.

it was actually Boris Vallejo and his wife Julie Bell that illustrated the whole set which was called Marvel Masterpiece

https://picclick.com/MARVEL-MASTERPIECES-Fleer-Skybox-1996-Boris-Julie-162953185429.html

The original 1992 set was done by Joe Jusko, apparently the masterpiece series ran all the way to 1996 and even the X-men had their own masterpiece sets.

https://www.cardboardconnection.com/1992-skybox-marvel-masterpieces-trading-cards

front-740x1024.jpg

this site has some info on 90s cards sets, but is missing lots of stull like the Jim Lee x-men cards and all the DC sets.
https://www.cardboardconnection.com/trading-cards/1990-1999-entertainment-trading-cards

The best set. Boris and Julie really do paint the best pictures.

I also collected the Marvel vs DC set.
91KKBzq-fiL._SY445_.jpg
7eefa774aae7514a4dab6538fd28061b.jpg

He has a style based on fantasy illustration/heavy metal magazine that looks different from everyone else working in comics..

wsqitq2ou7e01.jpg

C3TZR1g81UNcexr7CN6oLFxdYPTk9EAY9hdGJZM5wxLb8Jbjf8UczwEQ5nipcQBE6W2R3PT8UDvDBbdnUoEjckRE8ZFGNaSW8YZ3T386ERB3kRNk9wXNCwx

I think the Jim lee x-men cards were my favorites, even without the super fancy painted art.

Image-5-1.jpg

DLmz2jnU8AA23PJ.jpg

I still have these from the early 90s and yet people try to question my views on Spider Man.

KhiHcku.jpg

I always loved the ones with stats cause we used them to win card fights like Pokemon.
qaEbl2a.jpg

What they worth @TeTe
I have mine still too homie

The 1991 set was the best. Had a most of the 1992 and managed to collect all but one of the 1993 set. Wasted so much money as a kid trying to find that last card but just nothing but fucking doubles. Can't remember which one it was for the life of me. Also had the completed Jim Lee X-men and the Jusko Marvel Masterpieces sets. Had some more obscure stuff too with Wolverine and Punisher cards. By the time the Fleer Ultra's were being introduced I was losing interest in comics and getting more into sports.

My friend had a celestials card and on the back for power levels on the 1 - 7 scale, it said "N/A" for all. My friend insisted it meant they are so powerful that they can't be measured on that scale.

My other friends and I lambasted my friend and insisted that the celestials were not a big deal and that N/A did not mean they were too powerful to measure but rather their power level is a unknown.

It ended up in a big argument.

Back then I had a bias for the X-Men and hated the cosmic beings.

Wolverine always had fighting skills of 7/7 but strength only 2/7. The same strength level as the heroes with no super powers. I thought this was bullshit and that Wolverine was easily a 3/7 for strength.

Magneto was surprisingly low on power levels.

Apocalypse looked near invincible.

Dormammu looked very average power level wise based on his 1992 card - I wonder what changed in 25 years.

I used to collect them. Marvel Masterpieces were my favorites. I still have my collection stashed in a closet somewhere

Those stats on the backs of the cards always sucked. I also had the entire set when I was a kid and the Xmen ones.

For instance Invisible Woman’s stats suck yet she’s one of the most powerful cards posted. Same with Wanda.

My friend had a celestials card and on the back for power levels on the 1 - 7 scale, it said "N/A" for all. My friend insisted it meant they are so powerful that they can't be measured on that scale.

My other friends and I lambasted my friend and insisted that the celestials were not a big deal and that N/A did not mean they were too powerful to measure but rather their power level is a unknown.

It ended up in a big argument.

Back then I had a bias for the X-Men and hated the cosmic beings.

Wolverine always had fighting skills of 7/7 but strength only 2/7. The same strength level as the heroes with no super powers. I thought this was bullshit and that Wolverine was easily a 3/7 for strength.

Magneto was surprisingly low on power levels.

Apocalypse looked near invincible.

Dormammu looked very average power level wise based on his 1992 card - I wonder what changed in 25 years.
Wolverine's adamantium bones should automatically give him a boost in strength. He can support more weight.
And his healing factor should have his muscles working at a peak condition

Joe Jusko has had two Marvel Masterpieces runs, one in the 90s and a 2015/2016 series. He also does sketch cards in other higher end sets like Marvel Premier. Dude’s solid.

The Hildebrandt Bros. had a Marvel Masterpieces set in the 90s as well, and their work is fantastic. Unfortunately one brother died in 2006.

Boris/Bell’s set was pretty crazy to look at while growing up. Good stuff.

Simone Bianchi did the latest set of Marvel Masterpieces for 2018 and exceeded expectations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back