Social Homelessness in the U.S. vs Canada

it seems that only in the US and in Canada, drug addicts / mental ilness people, are found in large amounts on the streets, camping ,
living there, and consuming drugs even during the day on the streets ?
Other countries should also have such people , but they did not take over the streets and parks in such large amounts ?
wut?

You are typing that the US and Canada are the only two countries on the planet with drug addiction?

How did you come to this conclusion?

Probably the dumbest and most ignorant response I've seen to date on this topic. Just cause you believe your incessant rambling to be some sort of truth doesn't mean it is.

Okay... Your ad hominem attacks and dismissing my viewpoint without engaging with the substance of it shows just how butt hurt by the truth you are. Stay triggered.

Indeed we do not have the people for that. I remember when Najjar was assassinated and things started getting heated between Canada and India I was watching Indian news reports talking about the issue and they were referring to Canada as a small weak country. In a sense they are right, we are nowhere near being a great power.

Jumping from 30mil to 40mil in 25 years is pretty huge. Thats a 33% increase in population across a single generation. You only really see that kind of growth in 3rd world countries.

Well first off it's 25% and when you're starting with such a low number in a big country it really isn't. In the 1800s and early 1900s the US used unchecked immigration(actual unchecked immigration not what the right wing pretends is unchecked immigration)to grow their population from 5 million to 100 million shortly after WW1. And that really kick started their golden century. Canadas emulating that model.

Nearing 100 million by the turn of the 21st century would give Canada more people than all the Euro countries (seperately) and Japan.Today Canada have the population of Spain and are firmly a Middle Power large enough to be relevant but small enough where they can't project any sort of seperate economic, cultural or military power.

When I say great power I don't mean the worlds strongest country or anything. Thinking more like an Italy or an Austria-Hungary.

A side note to add to this.

Ive heard (and seen videos) many of these addicts express there is a community among other addicts. Theyd rather be among them than in shelters or even provided housing.

Well the struggle to find community is something millions of more economically stable people also feel and its something very difficult to give up. Not that a community built on drugs is healthy(even if the drugs themselves are fine I mean socially IE look at potheads whose identity is being a pothead) but these people have lost everything it makes sense they wouldn't want to give up their street friends who they are probably trauma bonded with.

Well first off it's 25% and when you're starting with such a low number in a big country it really isn't. In the 1800s and early 1900s the US used unchecked immigration(actual unchecked immigration not what the right wing pretends is unchecked immigration)to grow their population from 5 million to 100 million shortly after WW1. And that really kick started their golden century. Canadas emulating that model.

Nearing 100 million by the turn of the 21st century would give Canada more people than all the Euro countries (seperately) and Japan.Today Canada have the population of Spain and are firmly a Middle Power large enough to be relevant but small enough where they can't project any sort of seperate economic, cultural or military power.

When I say great power I don't mean the worlds strongest country or anything. Thinking more like an Italy or an Austria-Hungary.
I mean 40 million is a 33% increase from the starting point of 30 million. 40/30 = 1.33. Canada's population was 20 million before the numbers really started exploding which I wouldnt consider "such a low number" as Canada is only a big country in terms of total geography, not actual land viable for dense habitation. 1/3rd of our land is firmly in the Arctic circle, as in 24 hour nights, 24 hour days, zero plants can grow, cars can only start if you have them plugged into a heater 24/7, etc. Then another 1/3rd is "subarctic" so its warm enough that pine trees can survive but its still way too fucking cold and nobody wants to live there, you cant grow crops, etc. Of the remaining 1/3rd that has a climate suitable for habitation, most of it is covered in the Canadian shield, a dense layer of rocks and minerals. We had to dynamite blast through this BS for every inch of highways and railroads we have. This means you cannot make new settlements because if you want to you have to dynamite blast away the entire area before you can ever start to try. So anywhere that can be settled, has been settled. All you can do to increase the population pack those settlements more densely with people.

The United States is in a different situation. Firstly that is a time period of more than a century, and secondly they have no artic BS and actually do have vast swaths of habitable land. Totally different scenarios.

We could maybe become a country as powerful as Italy but it would have to be done with time are careful management, our current government is being too reckless.

There were a few fairly old studies which found that mental illness is much more prevalent in Canadian homeless people compared to American ones. About half have lifetime psychiatric diagnoses and about one third have some form of substance abuse. This is because the social safety net in Canada is much more robust so the people that do end up homeless are more likely to be so mentally ill that they literally can't take advantage of the help offered. For example a paranoid schizophrenic might refuse to use government-subsidized housing because they think there are secret cameras and microphones recording them. This is different from the US where the social safety net is very poor and a much greater proportion of homeless people there are homeless for economic reasons, not because they're too crazy to fill out some forms or take advantage of social housing. Of course considering the housing situation in Canada I'm sure there's now a greater proportion of people homeless for economic / housing shortages reasons compared to when these studies were conducted 10+ years ago.

It's always striking how poverty, drug abuse and homelessness look the same almost everywhere you go, just the faces and races change.

It's a sobering reminder that poverty is the issue that should be our top priority if we can ever stop getting bamboozled into attacking "others" while ignoring the problems right in our face that affect all of us.

That would be good news but i am skeptical TBH. I feel like canada is long lost. With the exception of Quebec which does have a nationalistic government.
LMAO @ lost. Lost to what precisely? Non-whites?

Well the struggle to find community is something millions of more economically stable people also feel and its something very difficult to give up. Not that a community built on drugs is healthy(even if the drugs themselves are fine I mean socially IE look at potheads whose identity is being a pothead) but these people have lost everything it makes sense they wouldn't want to give up their street friends who they are probably trauma bonded with.
Very good point.

Can you expound on what exactly has been destructive?

and what makes Quebec an exception?
Criminality, destruction of social cohesion.
What makes Quebec an exception is that it has a nationalistic government that openly wants to limit immigration and rejects shit notion like "systemic discrimination". Quebec premier also does book recommendations and it has stuff like Houellebecq in it. As a few examples. Quebec is much more conservative in matters of culture preservation. That has to do with history, and Canada using multiculturalism to neutralise Quebec separatism.

What makes Quebec an exception is that it has a nationalistic government that openly wants to limit immigration and rejects shit notion like "systemic discrimination". Quebec premier also does book recommendations and it has stuff like Houellebecq in it. As a few examples. Quebec is much more conservative in matters of culture preservation. That has to do with history, and Canada using multiculturalism to neutralise Quebec separatism.
Social cohesion. How wonderfully vague.

Yeah ok i am not interested in post modern nonsense. Have a nice day.
There is nothing wrong with the "social cohesion" of Canada lol

How about you show us some evidence for your claim, hm? Other than ad hominem attacks on brown people, of course.

There is nothing wrong with the "social cohesion" of Canada lol

How about you show us some evidence for your claim, hm? Other than ad hominem attacks on brown people, of course.
Oh shut up with your loaded platitudes.

So, that's a no on providing evidence of your xenophobic claim then. Got it.
I Do respect your use of the word xenophobic as opposed to racist. I grew up in Montreal which is very multiculti. I saw first hand how minority groups not only gather amongst themselves but gather across groups to form the wider "immigrant" identity, which is antagonistic to the home population of Quebecois people. How can it not be when multiculturalism was fueled with the need to weaken the quebecois nationalism? This is official policy from the 70s following the FLQ violence. You can look it up.

In school every group hangs out with themselves, there is NO sense at all of belonging to a greater society. When neoliberal reforms are tried, who goes on the streets to protest? Quebecois people, not immigrants. Immigrants dgaf about society at large because they identify with home country or of their parents. That s why neoliberalism loves immigration, because it dilutes the will of the population.

Add to that all the shitty street gangs that ARE ethnic by design, insecurity in many immigrant districts, and there you go, weakened social cohesion.

And all this for what? GDP growth? Lower wages? No thanks.

You will noticed that I have not mentioned skin complexion once. What i have described applies to most western countries to some extent.

I was in the Munich train station lately and i was surprised how it morphed into an aggressive immigrant shithole. It s full of people who should not be there and who make the home population uncomfortable.

Thats a unique take.
I often get the impression from most Canadians, Quebec is one of the more backwards regions of the country. But everyone has things they prioritize in regards to personal value.

In terms of things you've claimed value. Quebec has some of the
highest crime in the country.

Coupled with relatively low income and shockingly high illiteracy.

But I hear your perspective. It seems many quebecois grasp an antiquated, nostalgic romanticism pertaining to french colonialism.

None of which has any benefit for modern societies moving into a competitive future,in a quickly developing, shrinking world.

Thats a unique take.
I often get the impression from most Canadians, Quebec is one of the more backwards regions of the country. But everyone has things they prioritize in regards to personal value.

In terms of things you've claimed value. Quebec has some of the
highest crime in the country.

Coupled with relatively low income and shockingly high illiteracy.

But I hear your perspective. It seems many quebecois grasp an antiquated, nostalgic romanticism pertaining to french colonialism.

None of which has any benefit for modern societies moving into a competitive future,in a quickly developing, shrinking world

One thing you need to understand about Canadians that have that opinion of us, is that Canada turned from a formal British colony to an informal American one. There is no identity to defend in Canada, which is not really even a country. So of course they don't get the notion of defending one's culture. But what they don't get is that their criticism applies to most of Europe as well and that Canada is the exception, not Quebec.

As per your little condescending speech about development, us French Canadians have been hearing that since birth, thanks, but we recognise that there is something else to a society than complying to international capital and the religion of GDP growth. Go have that talk with English Canadians because that is all they understand.

Back