How do you tell your wife

Were there signs up for the camera? Workplaces cant place cameras inside without a sign. At least in the US. Check with a lawyer if there were no signs.
Our work is allowed to but they have to notify the union of an on going investigation. And only in a place without "a reasonable expectation of privacy". Video only.

27 years?! I hope they warned you first and didn’t just drop the hammer one day. That’s no way to treat somebody that’s been with your company for that many years

They did.
Lame if you ask me.
Saved them $$$$ with my perfect attendance

They did or didn’t warn you? Doesn’t sound like your union really went to bat for you.
If they did and you just disregarded it then that’s kinda on you

Don't end it all. You're better then that.

Mistakes happen, and that company is disgusting to fire you after 27 years. Are you from Poland? I see the flag is all.

Is it an option to get into construction? Do you have any skills with your hands and building? Hell you could even do demolition which takes very little experience.

So they caught you 3 times, then just canned you without warning you after times 1 and 2? That sounds ghey. Just tell your wife you were defending her honor around the fellas. Weirdly enough, I found out a client of mine gives their employees a monthly $50 stipend for tobacco purchase.
Son of a bitch, I just lost 5 minutes of my life staring at your AV.

Thanks.
I am (was) an operator in a plant.
I will never find another job like this $34/hr, especially at my age (53)
The most I can find is 1/2 that, not to mention the fact I was fired.
Who wants to hire a 53 year old?

Give up on that train of negative thinking, the situation is what you make it and you are responsible for how you move forward, regardless of age.

To answer the question "who wants to hire someone like me?", it's up to you to find that out by searching as hard as you can. Your job now is finding a job, and you should treat it like a job.

Thanks.
Don't be so sure about that. Millenials are your best friends in this situation because they have a reputation for beingh lazy, entitled, undisciplined babies. Most managers I know complain about hiring millienials. Sometimes they have to, because the job calls for more computer skills and that's harder to find in the older crowd. But for a job in a plant, where attendance, work ethic, discipline are valued, we like to hire older people for that.

Besides, you're only 53. It's not like they're going to be worried about training you and you retiring in a year. They're going to get over a decade of good work out of you.

Also, most companies don't tell other companies that you got fired. Because there have been lawsuits about companies preventing future employment, so it's not worth the risk. So your current place will probably not say anything... if they have a good HR person who's aware of the risks anyway. My point is, you can tell people in job interviews that you got laid off and they probably will never know you're lying.

Although, I've had people admit to being fired in job interviews before and I ended up hiring them. They said they screwed up, they admit it, they learned from that mistake and became better for it... That's a good attitude to have in an employee so I gave them a chance.

Actually none in this area.
The closest would be a forklift operator, or warehousing.
They top out around $16/ hr.
Do you believe people who commit suicide go to hell?
^^^^^^^:
Only thing stopping me.
I really let her and myself down.
According to Dante's Inferno, you would inhabit the second ring of the seventh circle of the Hell.

No warning letters for past occurrence? I understand the companies concern but I'd expect the union to put up a good fight with 27 years in. I can understand a cardinal sin violation i.e. stealing but smoking a cigarette indoors..? I've witnessed someone fired for theft, the union didn't get his job back, he lawyered up and went after the union and company, winning his job. Has your business agent reviewed the video with you? I think you should fight it - go above the union.

Last edited:
Do you believe people who commit suicide go to hell?

I really let her and myself down.
Yes. Think about it. If you were God and you granted someone the gift of life, and they wasted it the minute things got tough, would you let that person into heaven?

That sucks mate. As a guy who has been with his wife for 32 years, telling the truth is the only way to do this.She’ll be mad at you for your job but that will pass.

Women forgive mistakes more than they forgive lying.

We are a very small local. (130 people)
They offered buy outs to people 62 and older, I am 53.
Not enough workers took the offer.
They implemented a 2 tier pay scale a couple contracts ago.
I figure they found a reason to get rid of me, without having to offer a severance.
I don't know where you are, but firing someone on these grounds after 27 years without offering any severance is pretty risky here (Ontario, Canada). I would talk to a lawyer and get an opinion on how it would go in your jurisdiction, but I'm pretty sure under common law here the company would have a very high chance of getting completely smashed in court. However, if there's more to the story than you are saying here, make sure you give them all the info.

@OldTimer Did they document your warnings to you in some way? If not, you may be able to fight it with your union. If you tell your rep you want to fight it, is the union obligated to honor your request? Did they document a possible termination after three warnings? If not, again, same thing.

Simple truth here.

A. If they caught him 3 times an only told him after 3 times it was on purpose.

B. This is how you get rid of a long time employee who you either cant fire or would look really bad to lay off.

C. TS was either a bad employee, aged out n no longer really productive, or they needed to cut back an he was least valued.

D. There is no chance he just all of a sudden got canned for smoking ...... if he was valued there they would have at minimum warned him first.

Tell your wife the truth and brush it off. Also, be more responsible in the future. You lost your job over cigs. Lame.

Thanks.
53 isn’t old these days. What state do you live in, if you don’t mind me asking?

so....did you get a warning either of the first two times, or did they just record all 3 and surprise you?

I imagine a union wouldn't let that latter option happen

Our work is allowed to but they have to notify the union of an on going investigation. And only in a place without "a reasonable expectation of privacy". Video only.
Are those only temporary cameras? I guess im more talking about an office environment. Im not an expert on labor laws but I know in CA there have to be signs or at least make the employees aware of the cameras.

I could see in 5-10 years though everyone having a camera on their desk watching everything you do.

Back