How dominate would a prime Aleksandr Karelin be in any time period of UFC/Pride?

I've seen the vids of him on YouTube

Dude was insane

He would've wrecked a few fools

It depends on how well he took to other MMA skills. I don't think anyone is assured domination in MMA because of their skills in rule-heavy combat sports like wrestling, boxing, BJJ, etc.

There would be a lot of potential there for sure, but I am not going to say I am sure he would dominate. Unless you are talking about 90's MMA.

I don't think he necessarily would have done that well after his prime; it would have to be a time-travel hypothetical.

Well, after 20 years of evolution in MMA, Brock Lesnar won the belt with a 2-1 record and what? 1 year of MMA experience?

Now, we have Ngannou. How much BJJ do you guys think he has? I'm sure he knows some moves but heavyweights are different. Size and Strength are too much of a factor for skill there.

Not only I think he would do well in any era, but this guy, today would also do really well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taha_Akgül

Most of the strongest fighters this sport has seen have been accomplished wrestlers. And Karelin was the best.

Dominant before 2003, especially under Pride rules. Imagine Karelin with knees to the ground like what Mark Coleman did to Igor, but 3 times worse.
<6>

However, if he doesn't develop any standup skills once the HW GOATS like Fedor and Nog entered, he won't be able to keep up. Shit, even Iron Head stiffened a prime Olympic gold medalist in wrestling with the testosterone level of a roided up horse

That guy compited at 84kg and 96kg, Karelin compited at 130kg. That is almost half the weight of that guy of difference. And that guy is fighting Fuyita at heavyweight.

I don't think you have a grasp of how huge the difference in size is and how it would have affected the way his opponents fought him. Look at Brock Lesnar, never developed striking, he didn't needed to with that size and strength. It was more than enough to become #1 at MMA in 2010. He wasn't even in the same league as Karelin.

He would be UFC Champion.

But lose to Prime Fedor.

Would have been a thing of beauty to see him in the early era. Immensely strong style, state sponsored drugs, GOAT record.

Its a shame we never got to see a greco roman wrestler of his caliber transition to the sport. Then again, says his net worth is 8 mill so probably best for his legacy and bank account that he didn't.

No way to tell.

Because of how little we know,his era would have been best served in the beggining where there wouldnt have been enough high level grapplers to deal with.

But can he take punches? Does he react well to a sustained beating? no way to tell.

Have utmost respect for Karelin though.

Your title was giving me a stroke until I could figure out what was wrong with it.
It's "dominant", not "dominate"

With all due respect to Kevin, that's a huge NO. His wrestling game and PED game were inferior to Karelin.
UFC+28-Randy+Couture+vs+Kevin+Randleman.gif

Kevin was destroyed by Couture, he can't be compared to the best wrestler in history The GOAT.

it's like comparing my brother who plays American football with Tom Brady.

No way to tell.

Because of how little we know,his era would have been best served in the beggining where there wouldnt have been enough high level grapplers to deal with.

But can he take punches? Does he react well to a sustained beating? no way to tell.

Have utmost respect for Karelin though.

images

This Guy is scary!!

UFC+28-Randy+Couture+vs+Kevin+Randleman.gif

Kevin was destroyed by Couture, he can't be compared to the best wrestler in history The GOAT.

it's like comparing my brother who plays American football with Tom Brady.
Yeah, Karelin only list two wrestling matches ever, and by only a few points, combined. And he won almost 900 matches. He's one of the most dominant athletes ever in any sport.

He would be UFC Champion.

But lose to Prime Fedor.
Just thought about who would be favourite against him and who would have a chance. You make a good point.
His achilles heel would be fast heavy handed movers like Fedor & his brother. Someone like JDS is too one dimensional and lacks the angling to really avoid the clinch vs any top wrestler.

Out of UFC Miocic could very well outmaneuver him imo and win comfortable on points. Prime Timmy maybe but he also often ended in a clinch position for some time.

Cormier & Velasquez would have no chance with their style.

Man looking up the HW top10 nowadays can make you cry. Such a crapfest.

Dominant before 2003, especially under Pride rules. Imagine Karelin with knees to the ground like what Mark Coleman did to Igor, but 3 times worse.
<6>

However, if he doesn't develop any standup skills once the HW GOATS like Fedor and Nog entered, he won't be able to keep up. Shit, even Iron Head stiffened a prime Olympic gold medalist in wrestling with the testosterone level of a roided up horse

That guys striking was so bad, I have a hard time believing he trained any striking for that.

Hard to tell.
Would he have used his wrestling offensively or "do a Romero"?

I think he'd be very successful, if someone like Brock was able to get by with freak genetics and size, a bigger freak and better wrestler in Karelin would be just as successful. It's not all that often, an athletic HW with amateur wrestling credentials who actually commits to MMA is a complete bust.

Artur Taymazov wouldve beat him down

moscowwfreestylewrestlingchampionship2010taymazovtasoev2033.jpeg
Too small for Karelin
<6>

Fujita wasn't a bad wrestler himself

I have a very hazy memory that I read somewhere that Karelin really disliked fighting. That it wasn't a thing he was remotely interested in.

Back