How would prime Matt Hughes fare against the current WW top 5?

Prime Hughes isn't losing a decision to anyone. You either finish him or he will take the fight over.

I thought aging K-1 Hughes was actually getting the better of Kos when they fought, but he was too old and was going down as soon as he ate a punch...
Prime Hughes could probably beat Kos.

At the same time, I think Kos was incredibly overrated. Got destroyed by Alves and Paulo Thiago.
Dude Thiago's win was unlikely. He landed that cross/hook combo perfectly and Kos was out before he hit the canvas. Kos was a better fighter that just got caught.

Alves? Are you serious? We're not talking about modern Alves here. Dude when Alves beat Kos he was a freaking wrecking ball killing everything in his path. If you had to lose losing to Alves back then was a person you didn't mind losing too. Shit IIRC 6 weeks later Kos sparked Yoshida spectacularly.

Usman: 50-43 or possibly TKO win for Usman

Woodley: KO win for Woodley inside two rounds

Colby: 50-45 win for Colby

Masvidal: 50/50, all comes down to if Matt has the cardio to wrestle for 5 rounds. Mas would sleep him once they stood for a few minutes

Edwards: 50-45/49-46 win for Edwards. Better cardio, striking, and larger

What do you guys think? The game and division has evolved a lot since Matt’s best days
LOL
That's clearly a braindead hater.... (let me guess: An insecure GSP fanboy?)

Usman, Woodley, Colby are all one-dimensional wrestlers and would all be easy wins for Hughes due to his wrestling and power.
Masvidal? Toss up. I think Hughes takes him down and it's game over. But Mas can surprise Matt with a well timed knee...
Edwards... who??

matt would run through the division

that's why he moved up... then wanted to jump it while moving down....
I’m not a GSP fan and won’t make excuses for the guy. His comeback was underwhelming. I do think Peak GSP in the middle of his run would beat everyone at Ww today.

Hendricks is just way better than Fitch, Alves, or Hardy. Easily shut down GSPs blast double wigh an underhook.

Woodley KOs any version of GSP

280px-Count_to_potato_troll.jpg

The game passed him. He isn't a particularly tall fellow or a good striker. He doesn't set up his shots with strikes.

Dude Thiago's win was unlikely. He landed that cross/hook combo perfectly and Kos was out before he hit the canvas. Kos was a better fighter that just got caught.

Alves? Are you serious? We're not talking about modern Alves here. Dude when Alves beat Kos he was a freaking wrecking ball killing everything in his path. If you had to lose losing to Alves back then was a person you didn't mind losing too. Shit IIRC 6 weeks later Kos sparked Yoshida spectacularly.

Kos’s poor standup was always going to lead to erratic results and get him in trouble.

Are YOU serious about Alves?
I remember him being the only guy to get finished by Fitch, and I remember him getting triangled by Spencer Fisher too.
And Fitch EASILY LnP’d him the 2nd time too, AFTER Alves missed weight and kept his muscle for that fight.
Alves was in the right place at the right time for his run.
If he’d had to fight Story, Condit, Rory, or Hendricks during his “title run” they would have destroyed him.

It was piss poor matchmaking that led to shady rankings in what could have been an exciting division at that time.

GSP would have ruled over the division anyway, but the rest of the Top 10 should have looked very different.

Hendricks is just way better than Fitch, Alves, or Hardy. Easily shut down GSPs blast double wigh an underhook.

Woodley KOs any version of GSP
Bullshit. Woodley chokes yet again ,gets double legged on his whiny arse and gets G&P by GSP for 5 rounds. Woodley has nothing for George.

He would do be competitive against Colby. Matt is the better grappler and Colby doesn't have the power or TDD to avoid some moments on the ground.

He beats Masvidal and probably Woodley but loses to the rest.

I’m not a GSP fan and won’t make excuses for the guy. His comeback was underwhelming. I do think Peak GSP in the middle of his run would beat everyone at Ww today.
I honestly do not know.

Woodley is a wrestler with KO power. It would be very intriguing to see what he could do against prime GSP.
Usman... heck... the pressure would also give GSP trouble.
Colby, his jab & wrestling would definitely be intriguing to see how GSP would do against him.

Look I can't say GSP would lose any of those fights, but then again, I can't say he'd win easily either.

Getting hit by a train will hinder your fighting ability so he would lose to all of them
We never saw the damage to the train! Could have came off worse than Hughes.

10/8 I'd guess.

LOL
That's clearly a braindead hater.... (let me guess: An insecure GSP fanboy?)

Usman, Woodley, Colby are all one-dimensional wrestlers and would all be easy wins for Hughes due to his wrestling and power.
Masvidal? Toss up. I think Hughes takes him down and it's game over. But Mas can surprise Matt with a well timed knee...
Edwards... who??
Actually he’s a GSP hater. Surprise surprise...

I'd take Matt over every one but Woody, people forget how strong he was.

I honestly do not know.

Woodley is a wrestler with KO power. It would be very intriguing to see what he could do against prime GSP.
Usman... heck... the pressure would also give GSP trouble.
Colby, his jab & wrestling would definitely be intriguing to see how GSP would do against him.

Look I can't say GSP would lose any of those fights, but then again, I can't say he'd win easily either.
I can’t argue with such a logical post. I give Woodley the best chance, but I think he would probably gas out.

I don’t really give Colby or Usman much of a chance. I watched Georges outclass and out wrestle Kos. I just don’t see either one of them having anything for him.

I can’t argue with such a logical post. I give Woodley the best chance, but I think he would probably gas out.

I don’t really give Colby or Usman much of a chance. I watched Georges outclass and out wrestle Kos. I just don’t see either one of them having anything for him.
Yes, but that's the thing.
COlby has the gas tank to go non-stop for 5 rounds, as we've seen.
His constant pressure and (weak) jabs will not allow GSP to sit and jab, or go for takedowns like he used to.
IMHO this might take him out of his game.

As for Usman, he would hug GSP for 5 rounds.

Don't forget that Kos is (was) not a pressure fighter. He had power in his hands, and he liked to KO people, so he tried to stand with GSP, who would time him and take him down.
But take the distance away and I don't know if Georges could deal with it (much like Woodley fell for it).

Again, it could be that GSP would have absolutely no trouble, I just don't know.
I am trying to consider both their strengths, and IMHO Colby and Usman fought guys that emulated GSP more than GSP fought pressure guys like them...

Back