If 20 year old Mike Tyson started training mma in 2010 how would he have done

in an MMA fight with only boxing skills, you have almost no chance against someone that can take you down and submit you.
It doesn't have too be Jones or DC.
Tyson would only have a Chance if he could defent the takedown like Chuck "the Eyesman" Liddel.

Oh trust me I know, but OP was probably wondering how Tyson would perform today (2019) if he started in MMA at 20 years old (2010). Weird logic i know, but what would one expect.

He was only good against tomato cans and old men in boxing. He would have been abused in MMA.

We wouldn’t have GOAT conversations anymore. For the first time in sherdog history, we’d all agree he’s the GOAT.

JDS trained boxing for 1 year, BJJ a few months and he KOd Werdum and was 2 years later the champ.

Biggest JDS fan here, but even 15 y/o Tyson was a different beast.

Mike Tyson was built like a tank + low center of gravity and his reaction time was really really good. He also had amazing foot speed, balance and dexterit, which means, he would need less time for TDD than most people.

His footwork alone was already better than 99,99% of MMA fighters
tumblr_nt5to8nTuF1qzt7d8o1_400.gif

15 y/o Tyson ... just look at that fucking movement LOL Unless you were a bigger (20 lbs or bigger) college wrestler than him, he would smash you ... im 90% sure.

I was actually just wondering if he'd be at 205

With his movement against mma heavyweights though...oof

He would dominate LHW and HW with ez.

JDS trained boxing for 1 year, BJJ a few months and he KOd Werdum and was 2 years later the champ.

Biggest JDS fan here, but even 15 y/o Tyson was a different beast.

Mike Tyson was built like a tank + low center of gravity and his reaction time was really really good. He also had amazing foot speed, balance and dexterit, which means, he would need less time for TDD than most people.

His footwork was already better than 99,99% of MMA fighters
tumblr_nt5to8nTuF1qzt7d8o1_400.gif

15 y/o Tyson ... just look at that fucking movement LOL Unless you were a bigger (20 lbs or bigger) college wrestler than him, he would smash you ... im 90% sure.

He would dominate LHW and HW with ez.

The freak of the freaks

He'd have a harder time at 205 *probably* because it's just a higher level of talent in general...although not an incredibly big difference

The big guys are 265 would be tough in clinch/grapple situations but idgaf how big they are....Tyson would have them eating from a straw with 1 clean uppercut in 4oz gloves

He'd have a harder time at 205 *probably* because it's just a higher level of talent in general...although not an incredibly big difference

The big guys are 265 would be tough in clinch/grapple situations but idgaf how big they are....Tyson would have them eating from a straw with 1 clean uppercut in 4oz gloves
I never even thought about the glove difference . His speed and power would be even more scary jesus Christmas

The big guys are 265 would be tough in clinch/grapple situations but idgaf how big they are....Tyson would have them eating from a straw from 1 clean uppercut in 4oz gloves

If you cant take him down, nothing hapopens. Hell ... you dont even need TDD, cuz cody avoids takedowns with footwork (90% of the time), but of course you should train TDD.

The difference in speed and reflexes alone ... jeesus.

Mike Tyson by armbar.

I never even thought about the glove difference . His speed and power would be even more scary jesus Christmas
Yeah...that would seriously fuck someone up if he caught them clean

And as quick as he went off there were oftentimes 1 or 2 extra pops when the dude was falling already unconscious

If you cant take him down, nothing hapopens. Hell ... you dont even need TDD, cuz cody avoids takedowns with footwork (90% of the time), but of course you should train TDD.

The difference in speed and reflexes alone ... jeesus.

Mike Tyson by armbar.
I like to say "_____ by decapitation" when predicting an emphatic ko...

But Mike Tyson in 4oz gloves might actually do that

Yeah...that would seriously fuck someone up if he caught them clean

And as quick as he went off there were oftentimes 1 or 2 extra pops when the dude was falling already unconscious
Then imagine the follow up gnp

He would have gassed too often and flamed out in the sport, but would have been super dangerous to anyone. His athletic gifts are what they are, but he wouldn't have been disciplined enough with his cardio.

He was only good against tomato cans and old men in boxing. He would have been abused in MMA.

Tony Tucker
Michael Spinks
Frank Bruno
Holmes (old but was still very competitive with top heavyweights after Tyson and never knocked out again)
Bonecrusher Smith
Pinklon Thomas
Tony Tubbs
Razor Ruddock x2

All the guys I listed above would beat Wilder for example and be right at the top of today's heavyweight scene.

It's a myth that Tyson's opponents were rubbish. He just made them look bad!

The 80's heavyweight scene was actually quite good.

Also abused in MMA if he had adequate cross training? Yeah right!

Conor was just basically a striker at 20 and look how he turned out.

Plenty of one dimensional fighters that adapted to MMA with cross training, granted more came from a grappling background, which admittedly would be preferable.

But Tyson was an amazing athlete and with his low centre of gravity and explosiveness he could easily adapt to wrestling and build a solid tdd.

Last edited:
He would have gassed too often and flamed out in the sport, but would have been super dangerous to anyone. His athletic gifts are what they are, but he wouldn't have been disciplined enough with his cardio.
Gassed? His cardio was incredible, especially when he was with Rooney under Damato. His fights may have been mostly short, but he was known for having incredible conditioning.

Last edited:
Probably not that good man, there are so many variables that go into something happening in life. Meeting the right person at the right time, dedication, opponents, jiu jitsu, wrestling. Then even living in the 80s instead of 2019. Like maybe if Mike Tyson had the internet he would've been a completely different person. So it's impossible to say, I highly doubt he would've just KOed everyone and become UFC champ

Huh bad cardio??? That was never a knock on him. When he was young, he was a fucking animal that trained all day. He would wake up at 4 to run and trained all day. He ran twice a day and that isn't including the bike work.

Probably not that good man, there are so many variables that go into something happening in life. Meeting the right person at the right time, dedication, opponents, jiu jitsu, wrestling. Then even living in the 80s instead of 2019. Like maybe if Mike Tyson had the internet he would've been a completely different person. So it's impossible to say, I highly doubt he would've just KOed everyone and become UFC champ

fucken lol.

gayjitsu never worked
tumblr_n0826qrKrY1si9idzo4_400.gif

Back