If flying is the safest way to travel - Which do you fear more flying or driving?

Which do you fear more flying or driving?

• Total voters
Another thing I think about is how much safer is a plane ride than a car ride sheerly on a per trip basis? In other words, if one had to take off and land the same number of times one got into his car and got out, what would the statistics be then?

Yesterday I went to the gym, then the store, then to my parents' house and then back home. That's four trips. On an annual basis that's 1,460 trips. Imagine that many flights in a year.
They calculate it as deaths per plane boarding. In other words, how many times you would have to board a plane to die.
That’s 1 in 13 million average. If you’re in Asia, it’s about 1 in 2 million. But if you’re in the US or Europ, it’s 1 in 80 million.

Tend to agree. Most of us who fear flying more than driving do so because there is the notion of a lack of control. If something seems to go wrong on the road, there is at least the illusion that you can react fast enough to avert disaster. I say illusion because a lot of it is reliant on other people similarly adhering to the same rules of the road as you. If someone is completely negligent or in an altered state, then there is very little you can do.

But there is still that sense that you have some degree of control and maneuverability.
With a plane, there’s nothing you can do.

Also, a big factor is that many of us drive every day but few of us fly with great frequency. Stuff you do often seems mundane and doesn’t elicit much nervousness. But something you do that is infrequent and out of the usual realm might produce a more significant fear.

If there were as many planes in the air at once as cars on the ground, then those safety numbers wouldn't be as attractive Im sure sir.

They calculate it as deaths per plane boarding. In other words, how many times you would have to board a plane to die.
That’s 1 in 13 million average. If you’re in Asia, it’s about 1 in 2 million. But if you’re in the US or Europ, it’s 1 in 80 million.

The airline industry uses miles flown vs. accidents statistics to make flying sound safer.

But, if you use trips taken vs. accident statistics, then driving is much safer.

I have flown in those single propeller planes so driving and flying are like whatever bro

You ain't getting me on a plane without a parachute.

Neither.

Although flying is statistically safer than driving, that's lumping everything together. I would think driving deaths include driver deaths include those driving drunk, under the influence, driving like an idiot at excessive speeds, texting while driving etc. I don't do any of these. I feel more in control when I drive. Fortunately, I've never been involved in a car accident.

I do feel safer flying on US carrier jets. However, I would not feel flying in a small private plane with a pilot like Thurman Munson, JFK Jr., John Denver, Randy Rhoad's pilot, etc.

The airline industry uses miles flown vs. accidents statistics to make flying sound safer.
If you actually read the article, you would know that the statistical data on which the article is based is not using that metric. And it’s still safer.

I was skeptical. That’s why I read the article. But the methodology is sound.

I honestly fear flying more, just because I feel like there is no way out if something weird or bad happens.

I think I just don't find flying comfortable, because if I suffer a panic/anxiety attack there is nothing you can do really.

While in a car you can most likely stop somewhere anytime.

Although here's an article with a cool quote by Anthony Brickhouse.

“If you look at the numbers, you’re more at risk to have an accident driving to the airport than you are flying at 38,000 feet. I tell people, if you make it to your flight, the most hazardous part of your day is actually behind you.”

Perspective matters. You will most likely drive thousands of times more than you will ever fly. More people will drive than will ever fly.

Driving is much much safer than flying when you realize this. Hell, I’m driving while typing this..

I'm looking for accidents on a per trip basis though. Not necessarily deaths either. Just accidents per trip with or without survivors.

Driving, cuz Pilots are generally well accomplished and qualified, however there are many many many many many stupid Drivers on the road.

I'm looking for accidents on a per trip basis though. Not necessarily deaths either. Just accidents per trip with or without survivors.
If you board a plane, that is considered a trip. Because why else would you be boarding one?

In fact, this even inflates the rate of death by airplane because so many people get on each plane. So if one goes down, lots of people tend to die. Whereas in many car accidents, only a couple people are involved.

Flying. Even though I know the odds are with me, the idea of plummeting to my death for 36,000 feet is much scarier than driving.

i'm a bit unsure about this one. technically, it's much safer to fly than it is to drive. on the other hand, if you're driving you feel more in control because you're obviously driving. though while driving, there are many more hazards around you. just the idea of being in a machine that is thousands of miles away and underneath water is still frightening to me. i guess we have to place our trust on technology.

Tend to agree. Most of us who fear flying more than driving do so because there is the notion of a lack of control. If something seems to go wrong on the road, there is at least the illusion that you can react fast enough to avert disaster. I say illusion because a lot of it is reliant on other people similarly adhering to the same rules of the road as you. If someone is completely negligent or in an altered state, then there is very little you can do.

But there is still that sense that you have some degree of control and maneuverability.

Also, a big factor is that many of us drive every day but few of us fly with great frequency. Stuff you do often seems mundane and doesn’t elicit much nervousness. But something you do that is infrequent and out of the usual realm might produce a more significant fear.

You said it very well. Couldn't have said it better, thank you.

Last edited:
If you board a plane, that is considered a trip. Because why else would you be boarding one?

Not sure why you thought I didn't know that.
In fact, this even inflates the rate of death by airplane because so many people get on each plane. So if one goes down, lots of people tend to die. Whereas in many car accidents, only a couple people are involved.
There's no available data that answers my question.

Honestly though I think the unnaturalness of it is also a big factor, being inside a tube of metal 5 miles up in the air is not a natural position for a human to be in.

If you actually read the article, you would know that the statistical data on which the article is based is not using that metric. And it’s still safer.

I was skeptical. That’s why I read the article. But the methodology is sound.

They are using the 'boarding' metric, which is the same thing as a 'trip.'

Back