Opinion If you could add a Constitutional Amendment, what would it be?

Who determines the questions?

It should be determined by a diverse governing body. From testing experts, historians, like it or not politicians will find a way in there. There should also be a robust system set up so that people can study for that test.

Btw, I'm not saying it should be physics questions etc. Closer towards our citizenship tests. Perhaps a bit more political world history (as it's important to understand).

Because, I am a student of history.

When you can directly vote to take my shit, that's a nope. When more populated states can vote and tell the citizens of less populated states how they have to live by the bigger states' values... that's a nope. Direct Democracy turns into mob rule. Nope. The system set in place by the founders is damn genius and was 100% required to form the union and maintain it. There is a reason why the Electoral College portion of the constitution is the most detailed and the largest single portion. It's vital for our survival as a unified nation.

Direct democracy is things like ballot initiatives, and it does suck. If representatives were picked according to a one-person-one-vote system, we'd still have representative democracy.

The only correct answer is what @Whippy McGee noted. Get the lobbyists and corporations out of politics.

It's the literal root of all problems in America.

Added a summary in the OP. Campaign finance reform seems to be the most popular with election changes coming in close second

Where is the poll?
<{nope}>

Added a summary in the OP. Campaign finance reform seems to be the most popular with election changes coming in close second

Sad, as the proposed reforms are infringements on freedom of speech and would have no impact on anything aside from the freedom restrictions.

Where is the poll?
<{nope}>

Nah, you are suppose to figure out your own amendment, not pick from a list. I'm just trying to summarize what showed up already.

Sad, as the proposed reforms are infringements on freedom of speech and would have no impact on anything aside from the freedom restrictions.

I actually don't like any of that list thus far. Wasn't really sure where the thread would go. Expected some election stuff but wasn't sure outside of that.

Balanced budget obviously. We stole like a motherfucker from my grandchildren last 35-40 years (few years of Clinton not withstanding). Banks will rule us one day like Greece instead of who we vote for.

I'm not really that well read on the relevant literature but from my understanding there's a lot of "common sense" thinking around campaign finance that isn't really backed up by the data right?

I'm not really that well read on the relevant literature but from my understanding there's a lot of "common sense" thinking around campaign finance that isn't really backed up by the data right?

Yeah, it's a non-issue. And moving beyond the evidence, I think there's an unfortunate tendency among dumbass populists on the left and right to assume that all disagreement is motivated by bribery. Our system is actually pretty good about preventing actual bribes. The real threat is just that by associating mostly with rich people, politicians internalize certain values that don't necessarily serve the broader public (i.e., they are more right-leaning).

Balanced budget obviously. We stole like a motherfucker from my grandchildren last 35-40 years (few years of Clinton not withstanding). Banks will rule us one day like Greece instead of who we vote for.

A balanced budget amendment would have a disastrous impact on quality of life for your grandchildren through slower growth (prolonged recessions) and higher unemployment.

Yeah, there's no conceivable reason that equal rights would destroy the nation.

You ever notice everything is either a “conspiracy” or an “end of America” style scenario with these wackos? There is no middle area.

Like last summer during the protests. “Cities across America are burnt to the ground.” Lol

You ever notice everything is either a “conspiracy” or an “end of America” style scenario with these wackos? There is no middle area.

Like last summer during the protests. “Cities across America are burnt to the ground.” Lol

The way these morons think political arguments are supposed to go is they just misrepresent the fuck out of everyone they perceive as not being in their tribe to the point that you don't even know what the real argument is about.

The way these morons think political arguments are supposed to go is they just misrepresent the fuck out of everyone they perceive as not being in their tribe to the point that you don't even know what the real argument is about.

That and deny reality. So basically you can’t win an argument against someone that says, “well that’s a conspiracy and I just don’t believe it anyways.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back