International/Olympic wrestling discussion.

@Xuh correcy me if wrong but aren’t Ossetians primarily of Avar descent? Or is that Dagestan?

Is there in USA a sort of professional army program for successful freestyle and greco roman wrestlers?

Yes. As @jack36767 mentioned above, it's called the World Class Athlete Program (WCAP) and used to be (still is?) available to all branches of the U.S. military (i.e. Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard) for the Olympic sports. When I was in the army I trained with and did some freestyle and greco tourneys with a guy who had put in for the Army WCAP in freestyle. Also another guy who was making the rounds at the same tourneys had been cut from the Air Force freestyle WCAP and was trying to qualify to get back in.

If you're accepted, you keep your active duty rank and pay but you're re-assigned to train full time for international competition, usually at the OTC. I believe it's similar to companies like Home Depot, etc. sponsoring Olympic hopefuls as employees, but they don't actually work in a store like normal employees - they just train full time in their sport.

No Jack. I dislike USA wrestlers like Burroughs but I like very much USA freestyle wrestlers like Gable Steveson. He is one of the best heavyweight overall, a complete wrestler able to score with foot sweeps and upper body high amplitude throws.

No Jack. I dislike USA wrestlers like Burroughs but I like very much USA freestyle wrestlers like Gable Steveson. He is one of the best heavyweight overall, a complete wrestler able to score with foot sweeps and upper body high amplitude throws.
You realize that at the last junior world championships Gable wrestled in.. that he was pinned when he went upper body right? His primascores are very similar to Burroughs right?

@Xuh correcy me if wrong but aren’t Ossetians primarily of Avar descent? Or is that Dagestan?
Avars are the main group in Dagestan, Khabib is one
Ossetians are descended from Alans which are another 'family' entirely (hence the big tournament held in Ossetia is the 'Alans International')

I was wondering something about this, his name is Zaurbek and the -bek element is a known element in Turkic names. Is it normal for Ossetians to have Turkic names, or is he perhaps a Dagestani who was born in Ossetia, or perhaps bi-ethnic?

I don't know about that, but -bek seems fairly common for Ossetians to use, eg Makharbek Khadartzev the great late-soviet era wrestler; Irbek Farniev another more recent noteworthy wrestler; Aslanbek is another cool sounding one a few combat sports guys have...

Ossetians aren't Turkic though, and only a minority of them were islamised, but I guess it might have spread there anyway since they were rubbing up against those types and 'manly' cultures tend to want to give their sons badass/powerful/ruler-like names (kinda like you'll find more than a few Africans named Winston, Nelson, or even Adolf Hitler , even though they aren't Germanic :D )

This Olympic edition is a complete failure for Italian wrestling team...

Fidel would be disappointed....

Htei.gif

Avars are the main group in Dagestan, Khabib is one
Ossetians are descended from Alans which are another 'family' entirely (hence the big tournament held in Ossetia is the 'Alans International')

I don't know about that, but -bek seems fairly common for Ossetians to use, eg Makharbek Khadartzev the great late-soviet era wrestler; Irbek Farniev another more recent noteworthy wrestler; Aslanbek is another cool sounding one a few combat sports guys have...

Ossetians aren't Turkic though, and only a minority of them were islamised, but I guess it might have spread there anyway since they were rubbing up against those types and 'manly' cultures tend to want to give their sons badass/powerful/ruler-like names (kinda like you'll find more than a few Africans named Winston, Nelson, or even Adolf Hitler , even though they aren't Germanic :D )
So, they are orthodox christians? I thought that Ossetia was muslim and also had problem with the russia - like the chechen war.

No. Ossetians are Iranian peoples. They call themselves “Iron”. They are predominantly Orthodox Christians with Muslim and Pagan minorities.

So, they are orthodox christians? I thought that Ossetia was muslim and also had problem with the russia - like the chechen war.

Yes. Mostly Orthodox with Muslim and Pagan minorities. Gatsalov is a Muslim. Ramonov/ Tsabolov are Christians. Tsabolov’s name “хетаг” is the name of one of their Pagan Gods.

You realize that at the last junior world championships Gable wrestled in.. that he was pinned when he went upper body right? His primascores are very similar to Burroughs right?

Now he is a complete wrestler and his upper body technique is solid.

Yes. Mostly Orthodox with Muslim and Pagan minorities. Gatsalov is a Muslim. Ramonov/ Tsabolov are Christians. Tsabolov’s name “хетаг” is the name of one of their Pagan Gods.

What is Sidakov?

Back