Is Leon Edwards a top 3 WW all time?

No.

170 is weak as fuck right now where the guys might not be able to deal with his boring rangy kickboxing point fighting + defensive wrestling style. Belal probably can't and something seems off to me about Shavkat's stand up game (he's the only one with a good chance though).

Islam might be too small as MMA has this autistic gap between 155 and 170. Imagine a 154 lbs boxer going straight up to challenge the 168 lbs champ. It won't happen. They're too scared to go up to 160, let alone 168.

Even GGG didn't dare to go up to 168 from 160.

I would put GSP, Hughes, Usman, Jake Shields, Nick Diaz, Woodley, Lawler all before him.

No, he's not top 3. And no, it's not an interesting discussion. These kinds of threads get made just about every time a new champion wins or defends a belt.

He's about on par with Lawler right now. Still behind GSP, Hughes, Usman, and Woodley at the least.

Given his recent streak and quality of opposition I think it's an interesting discussion to have whether Leon Edwards is a top 3 WW of all time.

I think most of us would agree that #1 and #2 spots are occupied by GSP and Usman. So that leaves the question open as to who could be #3?

I think there are only three candidates left who could have a claim to that #3 spot: Leon, Hughes, and Woodley.

So does Leon make the cut for top 3?
You can’t even get 1, and 2 correct. So how about the next you think you have a good thread idea. Sleep on it.

You honestly think a guy that beat three guys as the champion is number 2?

He’s definitely up there , my initial impression is no , Gsp , Hughes , Usman if I had to call it . There’s also career accomplishments, but that’s different than absolute peak , I think at the hight of their powers , Lawler , Hendrix , Condit and McDonald could be potential nightmares for Leon .
Or anyone for that matter

Wonderboy? Lmao. A guy that has never sniffed a title, ahead of Leon?

Leon is 14-2 1NC in the UFC. Should be 15-1 1. Lost his debut in a blatant home cooking robbery in Brazil.

Only fight he's ever really lost is the 1st Usman fight. He'd have already broken GSP's WW win streak record if not for Belal quitting and getting the NC.

Leon is already an ATG at 170. Guys like Wonderboy and Lawler with his 14-10 UFC record don't even come close.
What names has Leon beaten in that ”amazing” unbeaten streak?

cerrone on a massive skid, had already gone on a 3 fight loss streak at 170, 48-47 on every scorecard, one year before his massive 155 losing streak started

vicente luque, decent but years before he was ranked and even as a ranked fighter luque has only beaten chiesathe ghost of t wood and old man rda

RDA, pretty good win, but his best years were behind him down a division, and his wins at welterweight weren’t the best (saffiedine who then retired, magny, lawler who went on a 3 fight losing skid, fighter Kevin Lee, colby imo who can only beat old guys)

diaz, 36 year old soybody, hadnt beaten anyone relevant in 5 years since he submitted featherweight mcgregor, still almost finished leon

usman, losing the entire fight until a lucky head kick, then in the trilogy gets a point taken for cheating, but still a great win as he was the champion on his own win streak

i agree Thompson is definitely not ahead of him, lawler most likely not, but Leon is not an all tie great at welterweight unless you think not losing that much is the same as beating top guys

Gsp
Hughes
Usman

That’s the top 3. After that we got woodley, shields, fitch, etc… and now Leon is on his way.

The best he can take currently is 4 imo

You can’t even get 1, and 2 correct. So how about the next you think you have a good thread idea. Sleep on it.

You honestly think a guy that beat three guys as the champion is number 2?
especially when number 2 holds a victory at one point over number 1....

makes it pretty obvious.

Given his recent streak and quality of opposition I think it's an interesting discussion to have whether Leon Edwards is a top 3 WW of all time.

I think most of us would agree that #1 and #2 spots are occupied by GSP and Usman. So that leaves the question open as to who could be #3?

I think there are only three candidates left who could have a claim to that #3 spot: Leon, Hughes, and Woodley.

So does Leon make the cut for top 3?

Not even close ffs.
Dude has 2 defenses and you're putting him at #3 all time....smfh.

Stick to whiny girl threads.

Wonderboy? Lmao. A guy that has never sniffed a title, ahead of Leon?

Leon is 14-2 1NC in the UFC. Should be 15-1 1. Lost his debut in a blatant home cooking robbery in Brazil.

Only fight he's ever really lost is the 1st Usman fight. He'd have already broken GSP's WW win streak record if not for Belal quitting and getting the NC.

Leon is already an ATG at 170. Guys like Wonderboy and Lawler with his 14-10 UFC record don't even come close.
GSP doesn’t have the win streak record. Usman has that. I don’t understand what’s so hard to understand about all-time rankings.

You DON’T have to guess and personal opinions don’t matter.

1702951628761.png

He's about on par with Lawler right now. Still behind GSP, Hughes, Usman, and Woodley at the least.
Not even close. Lawler smashed the hopes, dreams and faces of top level competition during his 2nd UFC stint. Leon has a stoppage of Usman to prop himself up with. Usman wins are great but not the the fukn woodchipper that was Lawler during his run.

Not even close. Lawler smashed the hopes, dreams and faces of top level competition during his 2nd UFC stint. Leon has a stoppage of Usman to prop himself up with. Usman wins are great but not the the fukn woodchipper that was Lawler during his run.
Robbie had 10 losses on his record by the time he got the WW belt. His title win over Hendricks was a split decision and his defense against Condit was a split decision. All things considered I think him and Leon are pretty close.

Robbie had 10 losses on his record by the time he got the WW belt. His title win over Hendricks was a split decision and his defense against Condit was a split decision. All things considered I think him and Leon are pretty close.
I don’t agree that lawler is ahead of leon but of those 10 losses only 3 were at welterweight and 2 were very early in his career so it’s not as bad as it looks, plus one loss was a knee injury

GSP
Hughes
Usman

Too soon for Leon

We shall see. Not right now - but I do love what he’s done of late.

Back