Is LHW/HW really that bad? What about WW?

Kompromat

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I am a big fan of UFC and MMA in general. In no way this is "everybody sucks, UFC is dying" post and/or I am some JBG fanatic who is nostalgic about Robbie-Rory type of fights. I have been genuinely dissatisfied with UFCs WW product for the past few years and will try to bring some objective criticism.

So what sparked me to write this. Colby Covington. No, not his last fight which was yet another disappointing WW title fight for me performance-wise (thanks to Leon too), but one interesting thing he mentioned during press-conference. I've actually had this idea for some time but never bothered to verify this until he actually said it: "Most men fall in this weight range so I'm competing in the toughest division". And he's right - not about the toughest divison though unfortunately but about the weight bit. The median male weight is about 180lbs so if weight cutting considered the majority of men would compete in WW if all were MMA fighters. What does this mean? This means that the fiercest and most skilled competition is supposed to be in WW but do we see that in todays UFC? We are criticizing LHW and HW, but for the little pool they have they are managing to produce more entertainment and skilled fighters. Do we not agree that Jon, Aspinall, Jiri, Alex and many more are far more exciting and skilled than Leon, Colby, Belal, Wonderboy? And that despite the fact that the majority of men of this size prefer to choose other sports to pursue. So for the few crumbs that HW and LHW is left with I think they are doing pretty fantastic.

Let me put it into a bit of perspective - in October 2018 Khabib and Conor fought and had all the eyes drawn to this event. The best MMA wrestler fought arguably the best MMA striker at the time. One month prior WW also had a title fight. Remember who fought? Thats right - Woodley and Till. Arguably two of the biggest flops in recent MMA times. This was considered the cream of the crop of the division at the time ..

Lets discuss, are current and recent WW fighters really that good? I've noticed that one dimensional fighters (i.e. strikers/wrestlers) aren't really great in their own domain. For example Leon - is he really an outstanding striker? The guy's pillow fisted point figher and I cant remember a single highlight of his outside of his Usmans KO .. He isn't Alex Perreira, Silva, he isn't Gaethje/Volk/Max, prime Conor.

Colby, Belal - supposedly elite wrestlers. Are they Khabib/Islam level though? These guys imposed their will and actually crushed their opponents when taking them down and lets not forget that they could stand toe to toe with elite strikers. Colby and Belal are just blankets literally, and so was Usman somewhat (but at least he had a powerful jab).

Wonderboy - just like Leon and I never understood why this guy is so beloved by everyone. Sure he is a really likeable guy, but for the hell of me I can't remember any of his highlights either. All I remember him doing is doing this silly karate hopping and spamming his trademark pointless side kick like a Mortal Kombat character.

And the rest is the same. I don't want to list the rest of currents and resents (Masvidal, Usman, let alone Askren) .. they are all quite similar in this sense. As for "well-rounders" , well nobody stands out either, except Shavkat.

The division has been stalled by divas, and the lack of names to look forward to is concerning. Shavkat stands out, but there should be at least 10 fighters of his caliber in the rankings.

In conclusion, the WW division seems full of not-so-elite fighters in their own domain and mediocre "well-rounders." UFC needs to address this, as logically, this division should be the most skilled and spectacular. What are your thoughts?

I think many are nostalgic of the dominance that GSP had over the division. If your argument is: LHW and HW are more exciting (or at least have greater star power)—I agree.

But if your argument is: LHW and HW are more talented/competitive—I tend to disagree. HW/LHW have greater star power but are extremely top heavy.

None of the below are stars, but including Leon, welterweight has never been more competive as a division (well, the days of GSP, Sheilds, Diaz, Lombard, Akiyama, MacDonald, Condit may have been the heyday… but current WW is still deeper than current HW/LHW).

1. Shavkat is an excellent prospect. His striking defence needs work, and his takedowns aren’t the best in the division, but his pace, offensive striking and ground game are unbelievable.

2. Sean Brady deserves another chance. He looked poor against Belal, but in every other fight he’s shown potential. If his striking improves, he’s contender level.

3. Jack Della: I’m not 100% sold on him yet; but his upside could be contender tier if he incorporates the threat of takedowns into his game (where appropriate). He can hold his own on the feet with anyone. Ian Garry’s in the same boat.

4. Belal: fight IQ can take your game to another level. His wrestling is among the best in the division, his striking is unorthodox but cautious, and his cardio is through the roof. I know people say Kamaru is a better version of Colby—but Belal really is!

5. Durinho: could literally be champion now if his mileage/durability weren’t a concern. Best BJJ in the division and scrappy af on the feet. Probably the fastest handspeed. If his days contending for titles are over, he’s still a great action fighter who can upset anyone. Usman is in a similar situation.

Not to mention action fighters like Geoff Neal and Luque. Neal is actually underrated, he might show that against Garry.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that many WW top talent isnt in UFC because UFC is cheap as fuck.
Jason Jackson and Yaroslav Amosov could have very well beaten Colby this past weekend.

I think you're right big time, WW is the most borring division. It so borring that most of us last weekend prayed for leon edwards to save the division from colby.

We prayed for a boring fighter like leon to be champion so save us from....?(let this sink in) He's already ducking belal saying there "are other options" belal is boring too, but clearly deserving. The division is a bit of a mess. All the most deserving fighters are boring. Only good elite level fighter is Shavkat, but we know leons not fighting him next.

WW rankings need to be shaken up in a major way. Hopefully guys like jack della, Garry, neal, and shakvat can make things interesting in the next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snowtrooper444
Back