Is Marlon Moraes' fall the biggest ever?

Barao, Hendricks, Weidman, Moraes, Reyes etc.. All pretty drastic. I could say guys like Cerrone and Edgar but the difference is they were old. These other guys were in their prime and just fell to pieces.

He certainly hit the cliff harder than many do. It was a shame to see it happen, I really enjoyed his fights and the guy was an animal is WSOF and even his earlier UFC fights.

If you get knocked out 3 times in a row, I think you should go back to the regional circuit. Build up your confidence while still growing as a martial artist. Merk a few fighters there. If you can't, and especially if you get KO'd there, you should by now probably look into another profession. But if you can, then welcome back to the big leagues. Major league baseball players are often sent to their respective AAA teams when slumping. If they continue to slump vs college students, etc., your time has probably passed. In MMA, there are way more health risks on the line. Fighters like Reyes and Rockhold should have been sent to DWCS against the new generation instead of fighting top contenders over and over and over and over again. Just an idea.

Taking stakes out of the equation, yes it’s probably the worst. We’ve seen arguably steeper falls from guys like Weidman and Rockhold, but half of their losses are from making bad decisions, not getting rocked and dropped by a jab like Marlon in his last 5+ fights. The only comparable loss streak is Sam Alvey but he was relatively competitive in most of those losses, not just getting put to sleep continuously.

I want to say Barao was 'worse' since he was a very dominant UFC champ, but it's been hard to watch what happened to Marlon. Props to him for not taking ANY easy fights, but damn..

It's up there. Him fighting overseas where there wasn't USADA might have something to do with it. When he first came to the UFC, he was on fire. Slowly his performances became worse and worse. I chalk it up to USADA like many other fighters who fell from grace after its implementation. Weidman, Hendricks, and many others.

Barao was a good one, also I would throw in Cody. Went from one of the best performances ever to losing almost every fight and getting knocked out while doing it.

And while I wouldn't put Reyes in this conversation because he never reached the heights as some of the other fighters, but he was never the same after he broke his nose against Jan. I honestly think he should retire.

Cody Garbrandt is pretty similar.

He always fought in an action style that meant he was going to get touched up. Early one that didn't matter, but now his chin is fucking gone and he takes a tap and it's game over.

Offensively both guys still look very impressive, but no matter who you are you are going to get hit now and then and in both cases their punch resistance is gone.

Back