Is Prince one of the GOAT guitar players? In your opinion

Another vote for not in the top ten but probably in the top 100.

No, phenomenal performer and fantastic all around musician but he is nowhere near the goat in any one category. As an all around entertainer among the best, as a guitar player or multi-instrumentalist or singer or songwriter there are plenty better.

I think Prince is one of the most talented musicians/performers of all time but if we're talking strictly guitaring he is nowhere close to the top 10. Only a high level of bias would ever cause anyone to put him there.

I'm a musician but not a guitarist and Prince is the reason why I became a musician. I'm no authority on the instrument but he's highly competent. Problem is, there are a lot of fine guitar players out there and some of them do nothing else, no writing, no performing, no singing, just playing, and in styles like Jazz which would demand more than Prince's style of playing. Prince did so many things well as it is, it just boggles the mind. It has to be true that he slept about 4 hours a night and worked most of the time. No, he's not the best but give him a break, he did so much else.

No, phenomenal performer and fantastic all around musician but he is nowhere near the goat in any one category. As an all around entertainer among the best, as a guitar player or multi-instrumentalist or singer or songwriter there are plenty better.
He's the best at doing so much I believe. There are a couple others like McCartney and Stevie, maybe James but none do all the things Prince does at that high a level.

He seems to have just overall god tier dexterity in his hands and wrists

Dave Grohl has also been quoted saying Prince was a better drummer than him
wow, that's saying something, that is probably Prince's weakest instrument. He's better at piano, guitar and bass.

Surely a talented musician. Absolutely nowhere near even the top 50% of guitar players.

For the record, this is the undisputed GOAT.

4:49 good for a human 5:07 = Yamashita level

If Clapton thinks so, who am I to argue?

EVH
Jimi
Clapton

that’s my top 3

Not goat or even in the top 10 but good none the less. He was damn good at writing music though

The whole idea of greatest guitarist is so subjective anyway. Honestly all I care about is the ones that mean the most to me, like the guy in my av, Hetfield, Mustaine etc

That said he's a dammed fine player don't worry about that

Last edited:
Clapton never said that Prince was the best. Look at my post above. Clapton would have mentioned a ton of old blues players, but not Prince

Maybe he’s referring to one of those made up quotes about Prince. About five years ago when Prince first died someone pretty much made this identical thread and I remember someone posted an alleged quote from Jimmy Page saying Prince was the best guitarist he’d ever seen, and then afterwards several people debunked the quote as being either completely fake or originally about someone else (Hendrix?) and just having Princes’ name swapped in.

Sorry guys I could be completely wrong, I’m at work so I haven’t watched the videos or links yet but I remember hearing a story where Clapton was supposed to be the frontman but prince felt disrespected by that so he stepped infront of Eric and shredded the song.

After the concert, someone asked Clapton something along the lines of “ how does it feel being the best guitarist in the world and playing on this stage infront of all these people “ and Eric said “ idk you would have to ask prince that “

Again this is all off memory, I could be 100% wrong!!

Sorry guys I could be completely wrong, I’m at work so I haven’t watched the videos or links yet but I remember hearing a story where Clapton was supposed to be the frontman but prince felt disrespected by that so he stepped infront of Eric and shredded the song.

After the concert, someone asked Clapton something along the lines of “ how does it feel being the best guitarist in the world and playing on this stage infront of all these people “ and Eric said “ idk you would have to ask prince that “

Again this is all off memory, I could be 100% wrong!!

Yeah, that’s the exact same quote that I’ve seen attributed to Jimmy Page about Prince but which was made up. Whether or not Clapton ever said it or not, I don’t know, but I suspect it could be made up too. Or if it is by some chance real it could have been just an off the cuff thing for him to say in the moment on the spot as opposed to him giving real thought about it.

edit: yup, also made up

https://ultimateprince.com/prince-eric-clapton-quote/

Yeah, that’s the exact same quote that I’ve seen attributed to Jimmy Page about Prince but which was made up. Whether or not Clapton ever said it or not, I don’t know, but I suspect it could be made up too. Or if it is by some chance real it could have been just an off the cuff thing for him to say in the moment on the spot as opposed to him giving real thought about it.

edit: yup, also made up

https://ultimateprince.com/prince-eric-clapton-quote/
I feel like I've heard that quote before but with Hendrix instead of Clapton (and it may have been Clapton instead of Prince). Sounds like an easily interchangeable copypasta tbh

I feel like I've heard that quote before but with Hendrix instead of Clapton (and it may have been Clapton instead of Prince). Sounds like an easily interchangeable copypasta tbh

Allegedly the real quote is by Hendrix about some old timey blues guitarists I’ve never heard of before.

No.

Great player.

But no.

Just fucking lol. Bro, U know hendrix, hazel, frusciante, gilmour, paige? U must be high on crack.

Back