Is Tony's BJJ Way Overratted?

Oh yeah. And Chiesa too.

Wait.. who has Tony subbed that was impressive? Kevin Lee? LOL. Last minute Vanatta? Edson Barboza after cheating with an illegal kick and the ref rushing Edson to come back while clearly hurt?
ok, pretend you don't know that he was regarded(wrongly) here by many as a BJJ threat to khabib.

Phoney Ferguson: no TDD, no groundgame. Dariush made him look like a shitty bluebelt, which he is. Fake Mexican. Fake elite fighter whose only wins of note against RDA and Barboza were achieved by cheating. Cope.
kid keeps saying cope and im not even a tony fan hahahahaah, back to 4chan manchild.

ok, pretend you don't know that he was regarded(wrongly) here by many as a BJJ threat to khabib.
People who thought he could do anything on the ground against Khabib are crazy. If anyone got a submission in that fight it would have been Khabib. Otherwise it would have been a compelete domination.

kid keeps saying cope and im not even a tony fan hahahahaah, back to 4chan manchild.
He's a can, b. Exposed 3 times in a row as a fake elite fighter who has no place in the top 10. Keep crying.

Also, nice to see you throw Tony under the bus. Classic bandwagon hopper, lol.

He's a can, b. Exposed 3 times in a row as a fake elite fighter who has no place in the top 10. Keep crying.
you keep ending your garbage posts with shit that doesnt apply lmao, i hope youre like 16 lil guy.

I don't think it's overrated.

Dariush and Oliviera are both elite BJJ practitioners. Way deeper credentials than Tony.

Olivera has been subbed 3 times and Khabib has never been out grappled fighting better fighters. Khabib isn’t way better, he is way way better !

Again...They shine in different areas of grappling. At the level that both of them are at, it’s impossible to say one is better then the other. Olivera seems to have a better killer instinct and wider variety of finishes. He’s dangerous from positions that are disadvantages to most fighters.

Khabib is the GOAT at LW. Not disputing that. Not even disputing who win between the two. I’m just saying Khabib and Olivera attack grappling in two totally different ways....

I've always said Tony wasn't technically sound. He is just an animal. In his prime, he would still destroy some very skilled fighters because fighting is not all about skill and technique.

Again...They shine in different areas of grappling. At the level that both of them are at, it’s impossible to say one is better then the other. Olivera seems to have a better killer instinct and wider variety of finishes. He’s dangerous from positions that are disadvantages to most fighters.

Khabib is the GOAT at LW. Not disputing that. Not even disputing who win between the two. I’m just saying Khabib and Olivera attack grappling in two totally different ways....
Again , it isn’t difficult at all for most people to know who is better. 29-0 > 30-8 no matter how you try to spin it.

Last edited:
Maybe the issue is Tony’s age is way closer to 40 than it is to 30.

Tony can’t exactly move up to the old man heavyweight division when he starts slowing down like John for instance. The lighter classes aren’t the best for chasing that last win on the way out.
A move up to 170 might do him good

i think Khabib would've beat the fuck out of him.
an opinion shared by pretty much everyone with any knowledge of ground fighting.

the writing had been on the wall for ferguson for years. he was getting dropped in fights left and right before gaethje beat the shit out of him. he had been thoroughly outgrappled by lee until kevin gassed. he never once shot a takedown on anyone in the past decade, for all his wrestling credentials he only used it defensively.

but people don't really understand jiu jitsu so they think the guy who spams triangles from the guard and goes for whacky submissions is world class. they don't really understand standup either, so they think the guy throwing spinning elbows is a world class striker. tony was, and always will be, very dangerous due to his unorthodox style. but he will also always take a beating from people with solid fundamentals who have the cardio fitting a top contender.

his jiu jitsu is only overrated if you have no clue what you're looking at and thought that he was world class. for the rest of us, he was a guy with an active guard and poor guard retention... and that guy would've been annihilated by khabib.

Not really. These last two fights haven't proven it's overrated. Just that the UFC all time submission leader, and former BJJ Brown Belt division no gi champion are just slightly better than he is. Both Dariush, and Oliveira have fantastic ground games. It was more his horrendous counter wrestling that's really causing him problems. You're always going to look inferior if you're constantly the one starting from the bottom.

Tony in his prime was a beast

his BJJ was excellent

but his prime is long gone and now he is paying the bills of training like shit and eating innecessary punches

Everything about Tony is overrated. The only reason he wen undefeated in 12 fights was because of his toughness.

I still think he would of beat Khabib in his prime (which is why Khabib evaded him), but he's 37 now and way past his prime. Happens to them all. Finally people are starting wake up to age/prime now.

Tony is a good fighter with alot of heart and toughness but in reality his 12 fight win streak was padded to the maximum. Never fought a top 3 ranked guy other than a already checked out RDA who had killed himself making 155 and never fought anyone with decent boxing until he got exposed by Justin on short notice

Struggled his arse off against the likes of Lando and Fighter Kevin Lee

Conor and Dustin would have exposed him comfortably on feet and has been exposed on the ground by Charles & Beneil

Khabib would have destroyed the guy with ease

I still think he would of beat Khabib in his prime (which is why Khabib evaded him), but he's 37 now and way past his prime. Happens to them all. Finally people are starting wake up to age/prime now.
Khabib 'evaded' him by signing to fight him 5 times?

Back