Media Islam Makhachev unimpressed with Leon Edwards: "We have to change the champion"

I like Islam's chance against Leon but what does he have for Shavkhat?

U want fscts? Leon beats him easly

What about everyone stays in his division and defends his title and if you do that a couple more time we'll think about that in 2025

Fuck that clown.

Try defending your belt against actual LW contenders you entitled fraud.

Or vacate your belt, and beat a WW contender.
I mean I agree champion should defend in their divisions instead of chasing super fights but can you explain how exactly he is a fraud ? He's on what ? Something like a 12 fight win streak with 3 world title ? What's fraudulent

Leon is bigger than Makhachev thinks.

Not saying he can’t win, but Leon’s height/reach in the striking, and size/strength grappling will be tough to overcome.

Reactions: lsa
It's prize fighting. People critiqued Islam's performance in the first Volk fight and a rematch with him was always going to do bigger numbers than anything that Gamrot would do. If you were his manager you'd tell him to make the same decision.

UFC may have declared Gamrot the backup but in reality he was only the backup if things fell apart during fight week. They try to bring the biggest fights they can (schedule permitting) to Abu Dhabi, there's a reason they went as far as to calling Poirier & Gaethje and trying to bring them off the couch rather than simply elevating Gamrot into the spot.

I understand, but if you explain the reason why islam chose to fight a FW, you're admitting that he chose to fight a FW, which is what the criticism was in the first place. Islam flat out said he could have chosen to fight Gamrot or poirier, but he chose Volk and volk should feel lucky that he gets the chance. He had good reasons, I'm sure, but at the end of the day, the criticism still is fair.

This guy is turning in to a delusional spoiled brat. He wins the title in the Charles fight where neither are even champ. Then he has two title defences against the same guy, a guy half his size from the division below and that's it.
He's not impressed and wants a crack at Leon.
Leon has the same amount of defences as he has and took that title from the reigning dominant champ, beat him again and yeah there's colby but at least he's a career welterweight and is a highly ranked guy in his weight class.

Two title defences against the 145 champ as the 155 champ is enough to warrant a title shot at 170. Makes so much sense

Was anyone impressed by Leon on Saturday? I mean we know he is a good fighter but that fight sucked... maybe it's Colbys fault though
It was definitely impressive the way he basically outclassed Colby until the last round with high level striking and octagon control. Not saying it was exciting, but it was certainly impressive.

Islam is a disappointment. Was hoping he would at least take out some of the old guard of Poirier/Gaethje/Chandler with his title reign.

I'm a huge Christianity fan but i don't think he is beating off Leon either.

Excuse me but Yushin Okami was never a big MW.

Fought the way bigger Rich Franklin as a lanky 6'2" who barely cut weight to 185:
full

Weighted-in at soft 200lbs with clothes on for a week-notice bout vs OSP at LHW

A below average sized MW by today standards.
A tiny MW by Pereira's standards.

full

Barely above average sized WW in modern day

Tough tough matchup for Islam.

Leon may pick him apart.

Islam is ready to retire.

I’m a huge Islam fan but he ain’t beating Leon.
I don't think Leon is that great honestly. I think he caught Usman and Colby when they were both in decline. As far as his skills, he's good everywhere and has really good stand up but he's not elite anywhere despite how Rogan likes to talk up his striking. If guys like Pereira, Izzy or Omalley existed in his division, they'd piece him up on the feet. I think he's a solid champ but not like a top 3 p4p type of talent or someone who's gonna have a long reign

Every fighter lays an egg here and there. I wasn't impressed with Islam in his first fight against Voik (still thought he won). I may be in the minority, but I feel that Edwards fought to win; it wasn't exciting or admirable to many, but he didn't risk anything in excess.

Back