It's time to accept Saenchai as the greatest

and also very difficult to compare fighters from back then with today properly with the real lack of decent footage of the older fighters

and also very difficult to compare fighters from back then with today properly with the real lack of decent footage of the older fighters

From what I gather Samart is viewed as the greatest in Thailand, along with maybe Apidej.

That's how I looked at it, so I was mostly arguing for Saenchai against just Samart.

I like putting Saenchai over because he's such a marvel. Yeah, you get someone like Kangwanlek who sticks around forever, but it's not like how Saenchai did it.

Last edited:
yeh you would get Samart picked over Saenchai here all day long, no deny Saenchai is one of the greats and an incredible talent, just saying it is a lot easier to stand out now days compared to back then, he still would have been one of the top fighters back then though

yeh you would get Samart picked over Saenchai here all day long, no deny Saenchai is one of the greats and an incredible talent, just saying it is a lot easier to stand out now days compared to back then, he still would have been one of the top fighters back then though

If I were to proselytize to them I could change their minds! I will make leaflets for them to see my points!

How are Saenchai's singing skills though?

Saenchai is quite clearly better than Samart. Samart was the product of music studios while Saenchai gives up all the technology and sings live, and has done so at more than 70 birthday parties! Who does that?!

Depends on your criteria of judging greatness, Samart had better adaptability and IMO handled pressure better, he managed to find a way to outclass power punchers like Samransak and Purahatlek, well rounded walk-forward guys like Chamuekpet and tall MuayKhao's like Panomtuanlek. Even in his "farewell" fight against Wangchannoi he looked sharp in loss.

Depends on your criteria of judging greatness, Samart had better adaptability and IMO handled pressure better, he managed to find a way to outclass power punchers like Samransak and Purahatlek, well rounded walk-forward guys like Chamuekpet and tall MuayKhao's like Panomtuanlek. Even in his "farewell" fight against Wangchannoi he looked sharp in loss.

He was known to be very lazy in his prep towards the end too almost beat himself, I r ember hearing the only training he did for Wangjannoi was run and skip to make weight

So how would guys like kongsak would have done in the 80s?

I think Dieselnoi Chor Thanasukarn is one of the best of all time if not the best. He had a ridiculous height advantage and would of been Saenchai's Kryptonite. He also beat Samart although I cant keep up with all the fights these guys had so not sure if he faced Samart more then once. He didn't have a lot of fights but he was undefeated for 4 years which everyone knows is extremely difficult in Thailand especially at that time in MT history.

I think Dieselnoi had a style that was almost impossible to beat due to his effectiveness in the clinch and his height. When it comes to picking the greatest fighters people tend to get clouded by who they think is exciting, who's more skillful or even what a fighter has achieved but they forget the most important thing. Effectiveness. Put Saenchai or Samart in their primes against Dieselnoi in his prime all at the same weight and I think Dieselnoi would smother them in the clinch the whole fight.

Not sure if Saenchai is the greatest ever although he is definitely up there in my top 5. I think he is the most skillful MT fighter ever and there is no argument there. Another skillful fighter who I feel doesn't get the attention he so well deserves is Karuhat Sor Supawan. I'm not saying hes the best but he is one of the most skillful fighters I have seen and his elbows were a thing of beauty.

I have a hard time believing Dieselnoi went undefeated for 4 years. The only way he could do that is if he only fought a few times a year and/or they didn't make him go up in weight or let his opponents have big weight advantages.

Chamuekpet is up there too. Very well rounded, exciting to watch and 9 Lumpinee/Raja belts is just insane.

I have a hard time believing Dieselnoi went undefeated for 4 years. The only way he could do that is if he only fought a few times a year and/or they didn't make him go up in weight or let his opponents have big weight advantages.
Probably. I dont think there is anyway of finding out unless Rob knows.

Rob's over there spreading lies about FOTY awards anyways. He's not to be trusted...

Was never much of a fan of Saenchai's "I'm too fast and crafty for you so I'll make you look dumb for 5 rounds." Style...but can't disagree with the OP either, Mayweather of Muay Thai minus the ducking opponents and shit talking.

Back