Media Khamzat pretty much confirmed that the UFC made him miss weight at UFC 279

Probably not. Because the UFC loves top heavy cards.
That doesn't make sense I'd rather have two good matchups for two popular fighters rather than a squash match between two popular fighters.

Cause they didn't realize Khamzat vs Diaz wasn't interesting to people and that they knew it was going to be a one sided beating. I think this is a case of the UFC underestimating the casuals knowledge of the fighters. They figured popular fighter vs popular fighter has to sell well but they didn't think about how pretty much everyone knew that fight would be Khamzat running through Nate.

Plus Dana White is petty and Nate was leaving the UFC so they were trying to lower his stock by having Khamzat smash him. Dana and the UFC don't like letting fighters leave the UFC off a win but they will do it if it means more PPV sales.

We've had Germaine de Randemie and Julianna Pena headline PPV cards, but now we are saying that the card (that was intentionally booked like shit) didn't sell well enough, so they paid everyone extra to keep the same fighters on the card, but with different matchups?

And they didn't realize it was tracking to sell poorly until the weigh-ins?

Occam's Razor here is the dude just missed weight lol

We've had Germaine de Randemie and Julianna Pena headline PPV cards, but now we are saying that the card (that was intentionally booked like shit) didn't sell well enough, so they paid everyone extra to keep the same fighters on the card, but with different matchups?

And they didn't realize it was tracking to sell poorly until the weigh-ins?

Occam's Razor here is the dude just missed weight lol
No one said the fight was intentionally booked to sell terribly. They underestimated the fan bases knowledge of the fighters and the fan base new that Nate had no chance of winning so pretty much anybody who was a Nate fan probably wasn't interested in watching the fight that's not a good idea to take a popular fighter and make his fans less interested in watching him fight

No one said the fight was intentionally booked to sell terribly.

I'm the one saying this.

It WAS intentionally booked like shit to reduce Nate's drawing/star power at the time. Remember that Ferguson/Li + Holland/Rodriguez were both late adds to the card only because there was so much uproar about what a dog shit card it was.

Without those fights, the co-main was supposed to be like Walker vs Cutelaba iirc, just weeks out of the event date.

I remember this super clearly because it's the only PPV I've ever been to in-person and I vividly remember the uproar for months prior about how terrible the card was until a few weeks before the event.

I can't stand the way Khamzat sounds when he talks, so weird and annoying.

I'm the one saying this.

It WAS intentionally booked like shit to reduce Nate's drawing/star power at the time. Remember that Ferguson/Li + Holland/Rodriguez were both late adds to the card only because there was so much uproar about what a dog shit card it was.

Without those fights, the co-main was supposed to be like Walker vs Cutelaba iirc, just weeks out of the event date.

I remember this super clearly because it's the only PPV I've ever been to in-person and I vividly remember the uproar for months prior about how terrible the card was until a few weeks before the event.
Ok, I do think the match ups were a problem though. Khamzat vs Nate was announced well in advanced and I was seeing all over Facebook MMA pages how everyone knew Nate had no chance and people weren't interested in seeing it.

Ok, I do think the match ups were a problem though. Khamzat vs Nate was announced well in advanced and I was seeing all over Facebook MMA pages how everyone knew Nate had no chance and people weren't interested in seeing it.

Khamzat vs Nate was announced with < 2 months to go (was announced the same week tickets went on sale iirc), but you are 100% right - the booking was awful. I absolutely concede that everyone was shitting all over this card, main event especially because of the matchmaking. Even adding Tony Ferg wasn't as exciting as it sounds in retrospect, because he was rushing back wayyyyy too soon after getting KTFO and the Jinglang matchup was like a "what the fuck" from left field lol.

In fact, it was so odd, it's the only part that really makes me question myself because it might lend credit to your take that they wanted to find a way to sneak him onto the card in order to fight Diaz. But again, it would seem to make more sense to just book that fight from the start. I think they planned on this card not selling well and, even if they got late pressure from execs to sell ppvs or whatever, they would have known that and made adjustments prior to the weigh-ins so that they would have had time to promote it better.

I just can't get over - A) UFC admitting they were wrong, B) Admitting they were wrong with 1 day to go and C) Making Khamzat move up a weight class when he would have been fighting for a title (if it was their idea).

None of those seem to make sense to me vs a guy who's clearly too huge just missing weight lol.

why the hell were they pairing a Middleweight with a Lightweight anyway?

He said it the same day, some doctors came in and told him to stop the cut

I think he probably was having a shitty cut and wasn't gonna make it so Dana told him to stop and they manufactured the beef with Holland to keep the show on the road.

Super tinfoil version is they got a side deal signed with Nate to commit him to coming back to UFC (or not fighting MMA elsewhere) after boxing and then pulled his ass out the fire.

Lol sure so Khamzat is so special that doctors are monitoring his weight cuts but not the other hundred fighters that do the exact same thing lmao!!

He also missed weight against Leech and cheated on the scales..

I'm glad he's at MW now because this is where he belongs and could make him more dangerous. But to say the doctors stopped him from cutting weight lol. How about the other hundred fighters who are killing themselves to make weight? Guess the doctors don't care about them lol

His team probably told the UFC and doctors he can't make weight and let the doctors make the decision so they save face

Yeah I saw that I was surprised they didn't ask him a follow up question.

giphy.gif

I understand the part where he says "there were some plans to do that" as in that is what the critics say about him. Like it was already his plan to not make weight. Not that it was some other person plan for him to not make weight.

I would like to move on. Who's coming with me?

200w.gif

https://x.com/DeepWat50503285/status/1714646017407352998?s=20

Khamzat quote with broken english:

"everyone speak about my I didn't make weight ya know, once in my life, and there was some plans to do that, that way it's not my plans, but I can't say everything here and uh, yeah..."

I think this pretty much confirms what most people were/have speculated since that day before UFC 279 which was...pre-sale #'s were abysmal and Uncle Dana knew there needed to be a shake-up to draw more interest. They knew Tony-Jingliang and Khamzat-Diaz wouldn't generate nearly as much money as Tony-Diaz and Khamzat-Holland...they stepped in mid-cut and told Khamzat to stop cutting, they'll pay him a shit ton of money to go along with the narrative that he "missed" weight and boom, all is well.

GNhhZU.gif

I'd say no. He blew off the fact that he missed weight that time, so he doesn't want admit that he fucked up.

Now, HOW MUCH he missed weight by, yes, is on the UFC. They stopped him from trying, and made the alternate arrangements for him to fight at a higher weight. Good move on their part, but the fact is he never even got into the deep waters of his weight cut.

But it was also very clear he wasn't going to be able to make 170 for that fight.

That makes zero sense logically. Khamzat was already more well known than Tony Ferguson.

this is the same Tony that needed like 10 wins to even be considered for a title shot during his peak run. Meanwhile popular guys get shots off 1-2 wins or losses.
Tony actually appears to be more popular in every state except Wyoming for some reason. This is only US though, Khamzat much more popular worldwide overall.

upload_2023-10-19_18-41-35.jpeg

Back