Luke Thomas does an entire video throwing shade at Helwani, basically callling him a Conor shill

Luke is right about a lot of things, he just comes comes off as a pompous douche to many people so it blinds them from evaluating what he actually says.

The pomposity is shtick though. If you listen to him regularly, you realize that he's actually very self-deprecating and constantly calls out his own mistakes.

When he's being genuinely condescending towards the fanbase, it's usually warranted. That's why so many people hate him IMO.

haha Luke is the only guy who is literally blackballed from Jones but people call him a Jones apologist anyway
giphy.gif

He’s in the business and the only one talking about it, sure it’s obvious but no one else had the balls, and when a cuck has the most balls in the room we in deep shit
He is "taking about it" because everyone fucking hate him and don't bother getting on his show, especially since they can reach a bigger audience with Ariel.

If Conor had chosen him for the interview he would had sucked his dick as hard as any other of his peers, hell this idiot is still defending Jones ffs, he is in no position to judge the integrity of any other media member.

He is "taking about it" because everyone fucking hate him and don't bother getting on his show, especially since they can reach a bigger audience with Ariel.

If Conor had chosen him for the interview he would had sucked his dick as hard as any other of his peers, hell this idiot is still defending Jones ffs, he is in no position to judge the integrity of any other media member.
Oh I don’t care for his judging or his moral high ground, his pathetic issues are beyond known on this board

Doesn’t mean what he said isn’t 100% true and he is the only person to say it, it took him basically getting kicked out of the reporting pool for it to happen so to your point 100% yes that’s probably why he’s saying it, but I’ll take Cuck Thomas saying it over than no one saying

Luke Thomas's problem is that he can't talk about MMA without bumming me the fuck out, like when I was growing up and you saw a sports story being presented by Bob Costas or that one Gumball brother on Real Sports.

Dude is a negative nancy and a bit soyish. literally has been trolled by and has Colby Covington living in his head, so he doesn't have that going for him either. He seems like a genuinely good guy though, despite

I do respect that Luke admits he's not a journalist and that the entire MMA mainstream media is basically just a promotional tool for Zuffa. It's not specific to Helwani, any of these people would be doing the exact same thing in his role.
It's the timing but could just as easily be Okomoto

Not everything in sports requires “serious journalism “. Things in sports that require serious journalism: corruption, compensation for amateur athletes (ncaa), PED’s, etc.

An athlete’s personal behavior is not for Luke or anything other journalist to sit there and scrutinize like some prosecutor. I’m not a Conor supporter but why should he have to sit there and answer personal questions from from a douche journalist who doesn’t give a fuck about him anyways?

Ask tough questions? The dude is an athlete for a living, not an elected government official.

Luke Thomas had to start posting videos under Brendan Schaub's brand, just think about that for a second.

Ariel does have a history of taking money directly from the subject he was covering. Which is horribly unethical journalistic behavior.

Fuckem both

But Ariel is the bigger bitch

Is there an MMA media personality who isn't a shill or a dickhead? Karyn Bryant?

The opposite.

Always hated them, because they have such a NEGATIVE agenda. It's great that these journalists aren't having success badmouthing the UFC and the sport (particularly the UFC though) like they used to.

It used to be that every damn headline was something negative and it still is in large part but at least the scrums and interviews now are mostly fight-centric now.

Most MMA journalists have been anti-UFC shills. I can't think of a single journalist that has ever focused on the positive things the UFC has done for the sport and the growth of the sport. How much coverage did fighter health insurance get? Or the PI institutes? Or USADA (in a positive way)? Or the UFC's hand in legalizing MMA in NY, France, and elsewhere? These journalists are so quick to say something negative, and are absolutely silent on anything purely positive the UFC has done. They consistently take self-interested and short-sighted fighter interests over the interests of the fans and the org.

It's no wonder Dana generally despises the MMA media. He should. Glad apparently some of that shit is finally being forced out. Fuck Luke Thomas -- take your ball and go home

Agreed. Their hatred of Dana and UFC brass made it just that much more hilarious when they chose Cyborg as the hill to fight on, and it crumbled beneath them when she admitted that video was doctored, and issued a public apology to Dana White. Took most of the mma media several days just to acknowledge it, and some still tried to defend Cyborg over it.

Brian Windhorst is a reporter, analyst and a journalist. It depends on the person.

Rumors heard from someone else could be considered a source. You are standing firm on something ridiculous.
Oh really, so you providing one exception to the rule makes my statement ridiculous, lol.

Also yeah, that could be considered a source but the difference between a journalist and a reporter is that a journalist takes that information and does the leg work to substantiate it before reporting on it while a reporter reports it immediately and puts the burden of proof on the viewers to do the real work. That's what's ridiculous.

Luke Thomas's problem is that he can't talk about MMA without bumming me the fuck out, like when I was growing up and you saw a sports story being presented by Bob Costas or that one Gumball brother on Real Sports.

Dude is a negative nancy and a bit soyish. literally has been trolled by and has Colby Covington living in his head, so he doesn't have that going for him either. He seems like a genuinely good guy though, despite
Colby doesn't live in Luke's head. He knows it's a schtick, and has called the media out on their hatred of it, because they allowed him to get as big as he has; even helped him along just by continuing to cover his behavior.

I know that most of you guys hate Luke, but I thought that this was a thoughtful and introspective take on the state of the "MMA media" and that softball interview on ESPN yesterday.

Cliffs:

MMA journalism
  • Stopped calling himself a "journalist" recently because he realizes that it's a totally dishonest description of what he does.
    • Says the fact that he ever called himself one is a "personal failing" and apologizes for having done so.
  • Most MMA "interviews" including press scrums are fake.
    • Luke has cut back on doing interviews because it's almost impossible to do a tough interview without losing access.
    • To get continued access to MMA figures (even minor ones) you have to play a game where you never really harshly criticize them in public to the point of dishonesty about what's going on in the sport.
    • Has had fighters refuse to do interviews with him over extremely mild criticism: i.e. saying that a fighter had "bad cardio" after a fight where he gassed out.
  • The sport isn't big or relevant enough for proper journalism.
    • There's no mandated media outside of promotional pressers, so the fighters have every right to shut out people that they don't like.
  • Says that in order to be an honest actor in the MMA media sphere, you have to make a decision about whether you want to do interviews or real commentary on the sport.
    • To do the latter effectively, you're going to have to speak in a manner that will lose you access to most fighters/manager/trainers etc.
    • This was one of the reasons why he bailed on The MMA Hour.
  • Has refocused his radio show to doing interviews with actual sports journalists instead of fighters/managers.
    • Thinks that it's much easier to have honest conversations with boxing people. This is one of the reasons that he's ventured into boxing coverage.
  • As a media figure, he's done playing the game trying to appease people. Doesn't care if people in the industry hate what he says.
  • The MMA Journalists Association is a joke organization.
    • Doesn't address wide scale structural problems in MMA media.
    • Is not in a position to actually do anything for its members.

McGregor ESPN interview
  • Not much of substance besides the news about the Gaethje fight and his hand issue.
  • Apology was just PR.
    • If McGregor wants to change perceptions, he should stop acting like an idiot in public.
  • McGregor is good for the sport when his head is on straight.
  • Says it was ridiculous that the topic of the New York Times story about the rape investigation was not broached.
    • Acknowledges that this is a legal landmine for McGregor and that he can't go into detail about this stuff even if he is innocent, but says that's McGregor's issue to deal with.
    • The interviewer had a responsibility to his audience ask McGregor about a story that ran in one of the biggest newspapers on the planet.
    • Acknowledges that this likely would have been the last interview that Ariel ever did with McGregor if this question would have been asked.
    • However, maintains that it is the responsibility of a real journalist to raise the issue of McGregor's escalating pattern of anti-social behavior.
  • The interview was essentially just PR for McGregor.
  • Says that the same level of scrutiny that Greg Hardy gets about his past should be applied to everybody.
    • i.e. Khabib should be getting tough questions about his association with Kadyrov.

Closes the video by apologizing again for most of his coverage of the sport up until this point. Will try to do better. Welcomes criticism from fans.

Follow up to the part about fighters declining interviews for silly reasons.

Luke's Sirius produce said that they had a guy refuse an interview because Luke (accurately) predicted that one of his teammates would lose a fight.

f7FdEdG_d.jpg

He doesnt mention ariels name, but its pretty obvious who he is talking about

Some bits from the youtube comments section:

bs18201
"Whatever you do don’t say Ariel Helwani"

Benjamin Young1
So much shade thrown at Ariel it’s hilarious

Mackenson Sparks1
The burial of Ariel helwani begins

sdfbf1
we all know Ariel Helwani will bow down and thank his lord Conor every time he is granted an interview with his king and idol, no matter what bad deeds he does

Breno Girafa1
that's honest af. Ariel's interview was completely vanilla.

<This7>

Cliffs by @Phisher

MMA journalism
  • Stopped calling himself a "journalist" recently because he realizes that it's a totally dishonest description of what he does.
    • Says the fact that he ever called himself one is a "personal failing" and apologizes for having done so.
  • Most MMA "interviews" including press scrums are fake.
    • Luke has cut back on doing interviews because it's almost impossible to do a tough interview without losing access.
    • To get continued access to MMA figures (even minor ones) you have to play a game where you never really harshly criticize them in public to the point of dishonesty about what's going on in the sport.
    • Has had fighters refuse to do interviews with him over extremely mild criticism: i.e. saying that a fighter had "bad cardio" after a fight where he gassed out.
  • The sport isn't big or relevant enough for proper journalism.
    • There's no mandated media outside of promotional pressers, so the fighters have every right to shut out people that they don't like.
  • Says that in order to be an honest actor in the MMA media sphere, you have to make a decision about whether you want to do interviews or real commentary on the sport.
    • To do the latter effectively, you're going to have to speak in a manner that will lose you access to most fighters/manager/trainers etc.
    • This was one of the reasons why he bailed on The MMA Hour.
  • Has refocused his radio show to doing interviews with actual sports journalists instead of fighters/managers.
    • Thinks that it's much easier to have honest conversations with boxing people. This is one of the reasons that he's ventured into boxing coverage.
  • As a media figure, he's done playing the game trying to appease people. Doesn't care if people in the industry hate what he says.
  • The MMA Journalists Association is a joke organization.
    • Doesn't address wide scale structural problems in MMA media.
    • Is not in a position to actually do anything for its members.

McGregor ESPN interview
  • Not much of substance besides the news about the Gaethje fight and his hand issue.
  • Apology was just PR.
    • If McGregor wants to change perceptions, he should stop acting like an idiot in public.
  • McGregor is good for the sport when his head is on straight.
  • Says it was ridiculous that the topic of the New York Times story about the rape investigation was not broached.
    • Acknowledges that this is a legal landmine for McGregor and that he can't go into detail about this stuff even if he is innocent, but says that's McGregor's issue to deal with.
    • The interviewer had a responsibility to his audience ask McGregor about a story that ran in one of the biggest newspapers on the planet.
    • Acknowledges that this likely would have been the last interview that Ariel ever did with McGregor if this question would have been asked.
    • However, maintains that it is the responsibility of a real journalist to raise the issue of McGregor's escalating pattern of anti-social behavior.
  • The interview was essentially just PR for McGregor.
  • Says that the same level of scrutiny that Greg Hardy gets about his past should be applied to everybody.
    • i.e. Khabib should be getting tough questions about his association with Kadyrov.

I've changed my mind on Luke, I had given up watching/listening to anything Luke, as I thought he was a sellout like Ariel. NOW, after watching this, I'm a Luke fan again. Good, honest journalism Luke!

Back