Media Mackenzie Dern poses with the Brazilian Flag on UFC's IG

If the only time she speaks English is during interviews it's perfectly plausible that she has developed an accent.

She was raised bilingual and her English has atrophied.

0 chance , watch the evolution and of her accent video posted above

impossible to happen To that extent

Both Great countries IMO

trump-bolsonaro.jpg

yes, but she raised and went to school in america...while she visited brazil growing up, she spent the vast majority of time in america....and she went to school in america...all school.

to that exent, in that short of time...maybe over a 30 year period...haha but in like 5 years?

to that exent, in that short of time...maybe over a 30 year period...haha but in like 5 years?

Honestly it can never happen

I’ve known Americans living overseas for 20-30 years and they have 0 chance in accent

just giving a small benefit of the doubt to the guys who argue that there can be some sort of moderate linguistic change

I've had conversations with linguists who disagree.

Pretty much everyone who is upset about it is an amateur, but people that know language think it's possible.

Especially if she isn't particularly good at language to begin with, and is completely immersed in Brazilian language and culture.

I mean, it's unusual, but it's not impossible. If everyone you speak to on a daily basis talks like that, you might start talking like that too.

Honestly it can never happen

I’ve known Americans living overseas for 20-30 years and they have 0 chance in accent

just giving a small benefit of the doubt to the guys who argue that there can be some sort of moderate linguistic change
Respectfully disagree Sherbro.

Bear in mind that her first language was Portuguese and she was raised bilingual.

Her post-fight interview she's speaking fluent English with a slight Portuguese accent
She also sounds out of breath from competing
People are making too big a deal out of this

how does one's accent completely change in a 5 year period....from normal american girl english to not being able to speak fluent english..instead speaking broken english, like pretty much all brazilian fighters that have learned a little of english do. this is a girl who was born and raised in america...she went to and graduated from an american high school....i'm surprised not more people are calling her out for this fraud.

It's odd in a way, but not odd enough that people are so butt hurt by it.

But I do root for her to lose when she fights...

I don't really blame her, no one wants to be American, hence why Americans constantly look for their roots, wherever that might be. Also, the Brazilian fans get behind their fighters and support them despite a loss and if you are an American fighter, you are nothing special, just another one among hundreds of others in the UFC.

Last edited:
You can take the girl out of the Valley but can't take the Valley out of the.... wait what?

i'm triggered, cause i would love to know why not more people have called her out for this. her evolution in accent has been well documented....I just can't have respect for someone that does that...
Lol that’s bc you lived in a English speaking country your whole life. Make some ethnic friends. Also educate yourself about bidialectalism or code switching.

They seem to go with whatever fighters say, iirc Lesnar has fought under Canada and USA flags.

Back