Media Max responds to Islam's critique of BMF fight, "why didn't you fight in February?"

Islam (or his team) likes to micromanage everything about his fights it seems.

He generally likes to pick both the opponent and the date, and if he can't do either, he is more than happy to sit out until a situation he is happy with falls into place.
What a novel concept, signing a contract where the opponent and date work for you. Is Makhachev the only fighter to micromanage his career to this extent? I would sell courses if I was him.

I time stamped it.

• "I saw islam talk about how this fight (gaethje vs. Max) makes no sense and blah blah, but brother, you should have fought Justin in February. Why did the guy you knock out turn around so fast and fight in February when you were healthy?....You should have turned around and fought in February. Everyone knows you can't fight during Ramadan and that's why you couldn't fight on 300,but you're complaining about not being able to get fights, but it's like, you're only fighting around the times when you want to fight. It's not that you can't get fights -- you're just not taking the fights that are offered because of certain things going on. If he really wanted to fight, I thought he would have turn around and fought in February. It made no sense to make the guy who just got knocked out (volk) to fight in february."

Interestingly enough, I saw an interview with gaethje the other day basically asking the same thing.

Islam wanted to fight on 299 but Dana said no. They really wanted O'Malley to headline.

They're going to come for you bro, and you know who "they" are. Good luck lol.
Let's both pray for his safety bro, I'm just scared imagining what they are going to say in response to his brave post

"Why didn't you fight in February" lol what was he supposed to be the co-main under Volkanovski or something? <lmao>
They only asked volk because islam said no, they have UFC 300 coming up, trust me Im sure they'd have like to have islam and give volk more time off, or push omalley to 300.

"It made no sense to make the guy who just got knocked out (volk) to fight in february."

Yeah, poor Volk. They made him fight. Just like they made him rematch Islam.

I would have liked Makhachev to fight in February or beginning of March, but as long as he gets the average of 2 fights per year, I don't really care when they come.

Ideally, it would be Charles if he wins, then Justin.

I don't mind Dustin in June because of the timing, however if the others were available, he would not deserve it.

I think probably the greatest legacy that Makhachev will leave is that he will be the first fighter to actively duck opponents that he is a massive favorite against. Yet again, Dagestanis breaking new ground in the MMA game.

They only asked volk because islam said no, they have UFC 300 coming up, trust me Im sure they'd have like to have islam and give volk more time off, or push omalley to 300.

Volk is the one who was desperate to fight again not long after he just got KO'd in October. UFC already lined up their main events for 297, 298 and 299 by early December. So what are we pointing the finger at Islam for, not lining up his next fight within a month and a half of his last one? He's not fighting in anything less than a main event going forward.

All this pointing the finger at this fighter, that fighter... point the blame at the UFC. They've proven time and time again they suck at planning ahead, that's why Pereira is headlining 300 instead of 301 in Brazil.

Last edited:
Mistakes happen, but stop digging, he fought during Feb and October, only the last 2 years and not 3.
Once again, if only I had addressed that exact point in the two words you purposefully left out
Cause Islam has fought in February and October for the last 3 years until now

Cause Islam has fought in February and October for the last 3 years until now and Volk managed to fight in February despite being the one who got KO'd.

- Islam was put on ice to wait in 2022 for the title fight after he beat Bobby Green
- Islam wanted to fight between again Feb - Oct 2023 but UFC put him on ice again to wait for Abu Dhabi

Definitely a fair point.

I think Gathje is going to beat him up but I'd be happy to be wrong.

Half the people in this thread think Makhachev can just barge into UFC HQ and demand to headline any card he wants lmao <lmao>

200w.gif

Back