Max Should Be the Number 2 Ranked Lightweight Right Now, Right?

Well no, it's more that being the champ doesn't always mean you're the #1 guy. Especially if you got to cut the line and the champ is the only elite win you have.
True, but that also harkens back to my point on: a fight company shouldn't put on a fight where they won't or shouldn't give the lower guy what the higher one has if they happen to win.

It was nice that Serra won the comebacks, but the fact that everyone coming out of his GSP match thought of it as a fluke that will be fixed in time means maybe they shouldn't have given that season the "make-a-wish" condition of fighting for the belt.

If they didn't want Max to be a higher contender than Justin at LW, they can't book that fight at LW and see Justin lose and then go, "Ah well, it doesn't really count." They should have to face that consequences of, this guy beat this guy, so now he's higher.

Gaethje was ranked #2 when Max beat him, with Arman moving up to #1, everyone behind him moved down a spot. With that said, Max should be ranked #3 putting him behind only Oliveira (who he beat at FW) and Arman as contenders.

I don't understand why his ranking is so low. He should be ahead of Gaethje and boring ass Canrot.

He beat Justin, but lost to Dustin in his only other LW fight. I personally think 9 isn’t fair and after his performance at UFC 300, would definitely put him in the top 5.

It's a conundrum. My answer there is that, most likely, it's due to some rankers not ranking him at LW, since he'll likely continue at FW, so those rankings drag down his average

If he expressed interest in staying at LW to fight the Islam/Dustin winner then he'd be ranked higher. Remember that rankings are just a manufactured marketing tool and don't hold any actual merit.

Gaethje was ranked #2 when Max beat him, with Arman moving up to #1, everyone behind him moved down a spot. With that said, Max should be ranked #3 putting him behind only Oliveira (who he beat at FW) and Arman as contenders.

I don't understand why his ranking is so low. He should be ahead of Gaethje and boring ass Canrot.

There's a ton of discussion about it in the thread from a few days ago https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/max-holloway-debuts-as-9-ranked-lightweight.4328120/

@Bullitt68

He beat Justin, but lost to Dustin in his only other LW fight. I personally think 9 isn’t fair and after his performance at UFC 300, would definitely put him in the top 5.

He's in this weird spot where he lost twice to the guy who got KO'd by the guy he just KO'd. But he has an early TKO win over the former champ, who finished both Justin and Poirier. I think the rankings should reflect recent results, or else move him up to #2.

how many wins does he have at lw?
but i agree he should be atleast top 5

It's a conundrum. My answer there is that, most likely, it's due to some rankers not ranking him at LW, since he'll likely continue at FW, so those rankings drag down his average

Yeah but they always give other fighters from other divisions the proper ranking when they beat a contender in another division. 9 makes no sense.

rankings don't mean that much especially in this instance where max is itching to go back to featherweight

how many wins does he have at lw?
but i agree he should be atleast top 5

Jessica Andrade got 1 win at W125 over Chookagian and fought for the title right after that. Granted it was in a toilet of a division, but that's quickly she moved up.

When Max fights Tapioca for the FW belt he’ll be announced as- the reigning BMF champion, former FW champion, the #1 ranked FW contender, and # 9 ranked LW contender.

Quite the intro

<GinJuice>

Last edited:
True, but that also harkens back to my point on: a fight company shouldn't put on a fight where they won't or shouldn't give the lower guy what the higher one has if they happen to win.

It was nice that Serra won the comebacks, but the fact that everyone coming out of his GSP match thought of it as a fluke that will be fixed in time means maybe they shouldn't have given that season the "make-a-wish" condition of fighting for the belt.

If they didn't want Max to be a higher contender than Justin at LW, they can't book that fight at LW and see Justin lose and then go, "Ah well, it doesn't really count." They should have to face that consequences of, this guy beat this guy, so now he's higher.
Well sure but that's following the same logic chain of beat a guy and get his spot, which not everyone does and imo isn't how modern rankings are generally formed.

It's more your body of work in the division recently. If you're #45 and you beat #7 cool you should move up substantially, just not necessarily to 6th or 7th. At least not imo.

personally speaking, i think do bronx, armaan, DP, and chandler (on a good night) probably beat him. the rest, i think he plows through.

Max finished Do Bronx in the first round.

Why don't the NFL have a 0-15 team that beats a 15-0 team take their playoff spot?

there's a lot of haters in this thread. Justin Gaethje ktfo Poirer WHO IS FIGHTING FOR THE TITLE IN 6 WEEKS. Poirer was ranked #2 when Gaethje KO'd him. that's how Gaethje got his ranking and "promise" of a title shot. now Max knocked him the fuck out but only gets #9?
200w.gif

He's in this weird spot where he lost twice to the guy who got KO'd by the guy he just KO'd. But he has an early TKO win over the former champ, who finished both Justin and Poirier. I think the rankings should reflect recent results, or else move him up to #2.
You realize you referenced the result of Max vs Charles from 9 years ago and then said rankings should reflect recent results right?

You realize you referenced the result of Max vs Charles from 9 years ago and then said rankings should reflect recent results right?

I said "or else" dumbfuck. Are you drunk or something?

Back