Media Michael Chandler: "Man I wanna fight Islam so bad" after possible KO of Conor McGregor

Chandlers going to be 40 when he fights Conor and Conor won't have aged well either.

Chandler still believes he's fighting Conor?

<36>

We got Arman hype going on, some people want to see him against Justin, some, including my self, want to see the Charles rematch. There were people who wanted to see Gamrot instead of Volkanovski 2, etc. Styles make fights.

So Gamrot vs Islam is of no interest to anyone, people just said they'd rather see Islam vs Gamrot than, who actually was in camp to be the backup than Volk to take the fight out of camp, on 10 days notice when he was recently sidelined with an injury for a month.

Arman hype is good, I think Arman needs another win personally and it's a rematch of a fight Islam already won, as champ its natural for guys and their management to avoid those types of fights but I agree, this ones a good one. Arman needs a number 1 contender fight.

Charles vs Islam II is kinda dreadful, I just don't get it what people see in this. One guys incredibly tactful, disciplined and precise whole the other is vulnerable, wild and exploitable. I think Charles should have to win at least 1 more personally.

Islam vs Gaethje is sad, Gaethje has been passed around like a cheap whore in title fights vs Khabib and then Oliveira and now Islam? I have no hope Gaethje can win that one, we are talking 4-1 or 5-1 underdog status. Gaethje is just not on the level athletically, conditioning wise and certainly not skill wise. He's also getting old and has tons of miles but hell, beating Fiziev and Poirier is somewhat deserved. I'd rather Gaethje vs Islam next and have Charles face either Gamrot or Arman.

Besides these FEW Lightweights of interest, potentially they could do something with Benoit St Denis, I wouldn't mind him vs Jalin Turner, Hooker or someone like that, that'll get him up in the top 10.

This division is pretty sparce of contenders though, Gaethje knocked off Fiziev, Charles knocked off Beneil, Chandler and Poirer are old as shit and sidelined/shot. Also Islam isn't stupid, he wants to retire on top and in his prime, so likely before 35. Collecting a 2nd belt is huge so I don't blame him. He should try to beat the LW title defense record though.

Well go win some fights then micheal. Been in the company 3 years this January, and you've won 2 fights.

So Gamrot vs Islam is of no interest to anyone, people just said they'd rather see Islam vs Gamrot than, who actually was in camp to be the backup than Volk to take the fight out of camp, on 10 days notice when he was recently sidelined with an injury for a month.

Arman hype is good, I think Arman needs another win personally and it's a rematch of a fight Islam already won, as champ its natural for guys and their management to avoid those types of fights but I agree, this ones a good one. Arman needs a number 1 contender fight.

Charles vs Islam II is kinda dreadful, I just don't get it what people see in this. One guys incredibly tactful, disciplined and precise whole the other is vulnerable, wild and exploitable. I think Charles should have to win at least 1 more personally.

Islam vs Gaethje is sad, Gaethje has been passed around like a cheap whore in title fights vs Khabib and then Oliveira and now Islam? I have no hope Gaethje can win that one, we are talking 4-1 or 5-1 underdog status. Gaethje is just not on the level athletically, conditioning wise and certainly not skill wise. He's also getting old and has tons of miles but hell, beating Fiziev and Poirier is somewhat deserved. I'd rather Gaethje vs Islam next and have Charles face either Gamrot or Arman.

Besides these FEW Lightweights of interest, potentially they could do something with Benoit St Denis, I wouldn't mind him vs Jalin Turner, Hooker or someone like that, that'll get him up in the top 10.

This division is pretty sparce of contenders though, Gaethje knocked off Fiziev, Charles knocked off Beneil, Chandler and Poirer are old as shit and sidelined/shot. Also Islam isn't stupid, he wants to retire on top and in his prime, so likely before 35. Collecting a 2nd belt is huge so I don't blame him. He should try to beat the LW title defense record though.
Yep, people are interested in different things for different reasons.
For me personally the only really interesting match up for the current LW champ is a scale on neutral ground. After how he looked in Perth, I really don’t think he can win that fight outside of Abu Dhabi anymore.

Sad Conor and Mike have to square off at WW, just to get a TS at 155

What in the actual fuck

michael chandler is basically retired now right?

he is the one who should be fighting the up and comers like fiz, gamrot, and arman but he is actively ducking them like the rest of the lw.

i do wanna see islam vs chandler, and the rest of the crop that vied for the vacant title after khabib. i wish they’d just put the fights together though and stop waiting around for conor.

Chandler will look good early (like in every fight) and find a way to lose.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Conor fight doesn't happen and Dana just gives him a title shot to make up for it

Yep, people are interested in different things for different reasons.
For me personally the only really interesting match up for the current LW champ is a scale on neutral ground. After how he looked in Perth, I really don’t think he can win that fight outside of Abu Dhabi anymore.
Can't win what fight outside of Abu Dhabi? Perth is the one that is different from everywhere else, not Abu Dhabi, and he won in both places anyway, and all of his fights in Vegas, Boston, Canada, beat Arman in St Petersburg.

Some people may not like it but I think Chandler is right on the money. If he finishes Conor in explosive viral fashion (let's say it's the main event of UFC 300) and the PPV does a huge amount of buys as expected I think the UFC would let him fight for the title in his next fight regardless of the perceived lack of merit.
“Perceived lack of merit”
Hmm… let’s see:
Michael Chandler has won 1 of his last 4 fights, and that was against Tony Ferguson whose decline has been BJ Penn-like. His only other win is Hooker who is also washed. Then onto your idea of beating Conor = title shot.

Conor is also up 1 in his last 4, and hasn’t won a fight in 3 years and that’s against Cerrone who seemed very happy to lose to Conor for some weird reason, again, washed. Also Conor shouldn’t have any ranking at LW and beating him should mean nothing in terms of the LW title picture.

Yeah, perceived lack of merit, sure.

Reactions: mkt
Some people may not like it but I think Chandler is right on the money. If he finishes Conor in explosive viral fashion (let's say it's the main event of UFC 300) and the PPV does a huge amount of buys as expected I think the UFC would let him fight for the title in his next fight regardless of the perceived lack of merit.

Definitely. If they would have him fight anyone else after that and he were to lose, they'd have missed out on the massive event that would be Islam vs Chandler. They aren't gonna waste the shine he'll get from K the biggest MMA star TFO! That or a rematch with Conor if he would choose that, like Poirier did.

Unless Islam were to lose the belt in the meanhwile of course, but I coild definitely see them trying to give Chandler the shot, however they might have to wiggle him into the spot.

Can't win what fight outside of Abu Dhabi? Perth is the one that is different from everywhere else, not Abu Dhabi, and he won in both places anyway, and all of his fights in Vegas, Boston, Canada, beat Arman in St Petersburg.
Can’t make Championship weight outside of Abu Dhabi.
He made 155 only against Nick Lentz 2017 in New York and against Volks in Perth. And we all know how he looked on scale in Perth compared to Abu Dhabi. It’s no secret.
That is the reason why he wants to go up and for his health sake he should do that.IMG_3066.jpeg

Back