Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

Hey @Strychnine, you should check this movie out on Amazon. "The Last Full Measure", 2019.

A true story and great cast. I had no idea U.S. Air Force PJs were involved with the rescue of U.S. Army soldiers in the field during the Vietnam war. This guy volunteered to be inserted into a rifle Platoon/Company to help out with the wounded during a firefight with the North Vietnamese Army. The Platoon's medic had been wounded and evacuated. A great Airman and human being...

Airman First Class William H. Pitsenbarger
314px-William_H._Pitsenbarger.jpg

"The true story of William Pitsenbarger, a U.S. Air Force Pararescueman who personally saved over sixty men. During a rescue mission on April 11, 1966, Pitts (as he was called) willingly chose to leave the relative safety of the rescue chopper to aid people on the ground when he saw how bad the situation below was. When others in his team declined to go, he put himself at risk to do more to help his fellow Americans. After saving many already, he was ordered to take the chance to escape on the last helicopter out of a combat zone heavily under fire, but he stayed behind to save and defend the lives of soldiers of the U.S. Army's 1st Infantry Division, before making the ultimate sacrifice in one of the bloodiest battles of the war."

There used to be a great documentary about PJ indoc on Youtube called Rescue Warriors but you have to pay for it now.

Airman First Class William H. Pitsenbarger. Truly amazing bravery and heroism. How the U.S. Air Force screwed up the first time the paperwork for the Medal of Honor went through is a story in itself. The kid died at 21. I wasn't even in basic training when I was 21. His parents did not approve of him joining the U.S. Army Special Forces which he initially wanted to do. So, the Air Force got him later.

His training included U.S. Army Airborne school, survival school, a rescue & survival medical course, the U.S. Navy's scuba diving school, and jungle survival school. He completed 250+ missions in Vietnam.
640px-William_Pitsenbarger.jpg

* Men and their belief system. While some will dive into a combat situation to help, others cross the border to hide in Canada... Hey @Strychnine, is that a 6 shooter he is holstering? Like Patton?

Airman First Class William H. Pitsenbarger. Truly amazing bravery and heroism. How the U.S. Air Force screwed up the first time the paperwork for the Medal of Honor went through is a story in itself. The kid died at 21. I wasn't even in basic training when I was 21. His parents did not approve of him joining the U.S. Army Special Forces which he initially wanted to do. So, the Air Force got him later.

His training included U.S. Army Airborne school, survival school, a rescue & survival medical course, the U.S. Navy's scuba diving school, and jungle survival school. He completed 250+ missions in Vietnam.
640px-William_Pitsenbarger.jpg

* Men and their belief system. While some will dive into a combat situation to help, others cross the border to hide in Canada... Hey @Strychnine, is that a 6 shooter he is holstering? Like Patton?

Yup, back in the day the standard issue sidearm for flight crew was an M-16 and .38 revolver. The .38 was low maintenance in the jungle and the AF wanted to give the aircrew one less thing to worry about.

Yup, back in the day the standard issue sidearm for flight crew was an M-16 and .38 revolver.
Ok.
I still don't understand what a 'medevac' helicopter was doing hoovering right above a 'hot' fire zone. Not just bullets, but incoming artillery shells (friendly fire). The VC could have easily brought down that helicopter and its crew with the wounded.

Ok.
I still don't understand what a 'medevac' helicopter was doing hoovering right above a 'hot' fire zone. Not just bullets, but incoming artillery shells (friendly fire). The VC could have easily brought down that helicopter and its crew with the wounded.

From what I've seen on AFN, they were winching up critically wounded in the rescue basket.

img_7618.jpg

From what I've seen on AFN, they were winching up critically wounded in the rescue basket.
img_7618.jpg
Yes, they cover this issue in the movie. The only thing I can think of is the jungle canopy must have given the helicopter some degree of cover and concealment. It was still hit by enemy bullets.

Also, the friendly fire artillery incident on the movie could have easily been caused by the shells hitting the trees and falling short of the target. Similar to what happened to Schwarzkopf in Vietnam in 1970. One of the artillery rounds he called on enemy positions struck a tree near his position on its way to its target killing two American soldiers. I believe 500 meters and under would be called 'danger close' for ground artillery. Not far enough away if those shells fall short...

Oh yeah!

Pitsenbarger and A1C Levitow are required knowledge when it comes to USAF PME. There is even the Airman Levitow award for the top performer in Airman Leadership School.
I was perma drunk all through ALS. It was a big party lol. I got my shit together for NCO academy though.

I was perma drunk all through ALS. It was a big party lol. I got my shit together for NCO academy though.

I went to Keesler for NCO academy when I got my line number for MSgt. I got to see the Airmen assigned to the "Correctional barracks" dig for their core values. :eek:

I went to Keesler for NCO academy when I got my line number for MSgt. I got to see the Airmen assigned to the "Correctional barracks" dig for their core values. :eek:
Lol haha. I went to Colorado Springs.

I liked Colorado Springs. Ended up going back there a few months later for the Guardian Challenge TDY (ICBM competition). I arrived at the nco academy the day after I ran the LA marathon. The PT test wasn’t cool.

I didn't get to serve due to medical conditions. But my dad and both grandfather's and uncles did. Just wanted to swing in and thank you all for you service. Much appreciated brothers!

I didn't get to serve due to medical conditions. But my dad and both grandfather's and uncles did. Just wanted to swing in and thank you all for you service. Much appreciated brothers!
That was very nice.
Thank you my friend. I'm sure you can help the country and other people in your own way.

So,
I've been out of the military for a few years now. I'm wondering how folks on Active Duty and the Reserves are doing these days of COVID-19. Is your unit still training? Is the Guard still doing monthly drills? What percentage is being told to stay at home? Will there be basic training this summer? Airborne school? Ranger school? BUD/S Training?
Cheers...
@heavyarms21, @Mike Hagger

I have no idea what you guys are talking about but I'm sure I didn't win it either. :(
It’s an award they give to the best in class at the end of Airmen Leadership school. E-4 that are about to become NCO’s.

So,
I've been out of the military for a few years now. I'm wondering how folks on Active Duty and the Reserves are doing these days of COVID-19. Is your unit still training? Is the Guard still doing monthly drills? What percentage is being told to stay at home? Will there be basic training this summer? Airborne school? Ranger school? BUD/S Training?
Cheers...
@heavyarms21, @Mike Hagger

I'm in recruit training. Its a Shit Show.

Back