Music you 'dont get'

I can play Astor Piazzolla tangos and Bach lute music on classical guitar. All that takes is practice. Rapping is much much harder and takes way more talent. You basically have to come up with everything on your own. You almost have to come up with the instrument itself in a sense on your own.

It is pretty easily the greatest art form of the last 50 years.
It doesn't just "Take practice" You still need talent to develop the ability to play those songs.

I have a friend who's been playing guitar as long as me, yet he's a terrible lead player. Doesn't have the finger dexterity to play anything outside of rhythms.

No matter how much he practices, he'll never be any good at leads.

Also, you're comparing apples to oranges.

You're talking about playing someone elses work, which, yes, doesn't take as much talent as writing your own, too rapping your own material.

Composers of old were capable of both playing multiple instruments, all the while putting ink to paper and writing 12 minute epics.

It took way more talent for them to be able to do this than some mumble rapper who doesn't even know how to string a decent sentence together and have their beats written for them by a team of 6 different people(alot of rap music IS good, don't get me wrong, most of it underground, but still, it's not like it's any harder than any other form of music)

Last edited:
A lot of people slag on Autotune and rightfully so but it does have its place. The other day I did an experiment where I recorded a guitar solo through autotune. I should upload it. As to Autotune having its place I've seen bands use it on some passages during songs and it works but these groups that know how to experiment and use it. Not like a lot of pop artists today whether it be hip hop or not. They use autotune on the vocals and it is smack dab in your face which.

like a wah pedal, auto tune should be used as craft; not crutch.

God only knows Cher didn’t need autotune in 1998 before it became over saturated by YouTube pop sensations.

Never got all the fawning over David Bowie.

Everyone's got that genre, those parts of songs that ruin the whole thing, that sound or band/musician that masses love that you just don't like. Throw some out there and let's see.

For myself:

The Doors. They've got a few great songs. Overall it just sounds so bland. Just could never do it.

Auto-tune in rap/hip hop. It just sounds so lazy, so cheesey and overall just shit. I get that it's a super easy and cheap way to make something sound a certain way, but that way stinks. There's a couple gems like T Pain had a song or two, but there are 50 million bad songs.

Pandering country music. So I enjoy some old country. It was a fun genre in the 50s/60s/70s and to a lesser extent the 80s. By the 1990s and 2000s it became of steaming garbage pile of everyone sounding the same. They ALLLL had the same voice and style. If any of you don't know any older country before the 90s I can shoot you some good actual old country.
The Doors have some pretty dope songs. People are Strange is a cool song, but they were obviously cut short because of Jim's death.

As far as stuff I don't get, any rap after circa 2005, most country and thrash/noise metal. Oh and I also created that thread about how I didn't get Radiohead's OK Computer, but then kinda got it after listening a few times, but still don't see how it's great. Oh and The Deftones. Don't think their music is good.

Never got all the fawning over David Bowie.
Yeah. Um, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one, mmmkay. Do you like other bands/artists from that era too? Man, Bowie goes from Space Oddity in the 60s through the Ziggy Stardust in the 70s and Let's Dance and 80s pop music all the way through the 90s with his collab with Reznor.

I think he's a fucking musical genius that spans many different genres. Why bands like Nirvana, NIN, The Wallflowers, Queen, Vanilla Ice, etc have paid homage to him. But if you really don't get him, I'm not saying you're wrong, because these are obviously opinions. Just that our opinions are diametrically opposed. Here's one of my Bowie favs that gets less pub:

Yeah. Um, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one, mmmkay. Do you like other bands/artists from that era too? Man, Bowie goes from Space Oddity in the 60s through the Ziggy Stardust in the 70s and Let's Dance and 80s pop music all the way through the 90s with his collab with Reznor.

I think he's a fucking musical genius that spans many different genres. Why bands like Nirvana, NIN, The Wallflowers, Queen, Vanilla Ice, etc have paid homage to him. But if you really don't get him, I'm not saying you're wrong, because these are obviously opinions. Just that our opinions are diametrically opposed. Here's one of my Bowie favs that gets less pub:

He also collaborated with Iggy who I love. Motörhead even did a cover of "Heros". I wouldn't say I hate his music; if it comes on the radio I don't necessarily change the station,.

He also collaborated with Iggy who I love. Motörhead even did a cover of "Heros". I wouldn't say I hate his music; if it comes on the radio I don't necessarily change the station,.
What I realized after discovering his music is that it appears in a LOT of commercials. Like, holy shit, that's from the _____ commercial. He must have pretty much approved every request to make some CREAM.

It's not so much that I don't get it, but i just find a lot of "classic rock" to be really overrated (especially Led Zeppelin and AC/DC). It's perfectly fine, and at least LZ has a couple of genuinely great albums, but the people who worship it and use it as a justification to shit on anything new are fucking obnoxious. Mostly, I'm just annoyed at people who let their tastes stagnate and then become fucking snobs.

Robert Johnson
Bessie Smith
Blind Lemon Jefferson
Jimmie Rodgers
Ma Rainey
Charlie Patton
Frank Hutchison
Blind Wilie McTell

.....it all starts way back when, pre 1940; then in the 40's here came...

Franl Sinatra
Hank Williams
Louis Jordan
The Big Bands
Billie Holliday
Lena Horne
Mills Brothers
Ink Spots

......all about evolution. Who influensed who?

In order to understand it all ya need to know the history involved.

Here is where homework comes in.

Elmore James a blues slide guitar player had a huge influense on Brian Jones of the Stones, and so it went. Elvis doing old blues tunes. Hank Williams and them blues, same with Bob Wills. And so it went.

I have Siriusxm in my car, and today I heard an advertisement for "Ticktok Radio" Listen to all of the songs from your favorite Ticktok videos!

If I was in a car, and the driver put that station on...I would throw myself out of the moving vehicle.
FeminineEnragedFairyfly-size_restricted.gif

Metal in general mainly hardcore stuff. Ive tried... love alot of the instrumentals and compositions..... then the vocals hit <6><mma2>

modern "mumble rap" or w/e too. No offense to anyone that likes it but it seems geared towards those with special needs

like WTF is this <Huh2> sounds like someone with downs syndrome having a melodic stroke

Metal in general mainly hardcore stuff. Ive tried... love alot of the instrumentals and compositions..... then the vocals hit <6><mma2>

modern "mumble rap" or w/e too. No offense to anyone that likes it but it seems geared towards those with special needs

like WTF is this <Huh2> sounds like someone with downs syndrome having a melodic stroke

Is it mostly the more extreme stuff that you don't like? The growls/distorted vocals?

If you enjoy the instruments, you'd probably enjoy some old school Traditional Metal, Power Metal, etc.

Agreed on mumble rap. That song/genre is trash af.

Is it mostly the more extreme stuff that you don't like? The growls/distorted vocals?

If you enjoy the instruments, you'd probably enjoy some old school Traditional Metal, Power Metal, etc.

Agreed on mumble rap. That song/genre is trash af.

Yeah that's basically it. It's just such a turnoff and ruins the song for me most times.

Yeah that's basically it. It's just such a turnoff and ruins the song for me most times.
I hear you, it's an acquired taste for sure.

Lemme know what you think of this.

It's a catJAM.

Some songs are good, but I cannot understand how people LOOOOOOOOOVE the droning voices of Metallica and the Cranberries. Bi-planes to me. Shoot 'em down, Snoopy.

I just plain hate Rush. *ducks*

It's not so much that I don't get it, but i just find a lot of "classic rock" to be really overrated (especially Led Zeppelin and AC/DC). It's perfectly fine, and at least LZ has a couple of genuinely great albums, but the people who worship it and use it as a justification to shit on anything new are fucking obnoxious. Mostly, I'm just annoyed at people who let their tastes stagnate and then become fucking snobs.

Big ups for the Lingua Ignota avatar btw.

Back