Social Nashville locals are furious over the influx of wealthy residents as companies like Oracle rush to Tennessee

White Whale

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

Why Nashville locals are furious over the influx of wealthy residents as companies like Oracle rush to Tennessee​

Furious Nashville locals say they are being driven out of their city as wealthy residents and major companies continue making the move to Tennessee from blue states.

Once known for its country music scene, Nashville has seen a population boom over the last few years, with major corporations like Oracle choosing to move their headquarters there.

Attracted by lower property costs and taxes, Amazon has also announced it would set up major operations in downtown Nashville, and New York money manager AllianceBernstein said it would be moving its headquarters to the city, as reported by the Wall Street Journal.

In just 23 years, the metro Nashville region has gone from 1.3 million residents to 2.1million, per the US Census Bureau, increasing the value of property and the cost of living.

Still, while Nashville real estate has become more expensive, it is still relatively low when compared to other major US cities. The median home sale price at the end of February was $414,012, compared with the nationwide median of $327,667.

However, just five years ago the median Nashville house cost $290,983.

Remacia Smith, who grew up in Nashville, told the Wall Street Journal she recently was forced to move to the suburbs with her five children.

'It almost doesn’t look like Nashville anymore,' she said. 'Whew Lord, I wish people would stop moving here.'

Meanwhile lifelong resident John Michael Morgan, for his part, told the outlet he is concerned about Nashville keeping its essence.

'Nashville’s always been a big town that felt like a small town,' said Morgan. 'Now we’re a big town that feels like a big town.'

Earlier this month, Oracle founder Larry Ellison announced his plans to move the software giant's corporate headquarters from Kansas to Nashville.

Real estate agent Jack Gaughan told the WSJ that he expects prices to go up over the increased demand from the arrive of Oracle workers.

Ellison said the decision was based on a push by the company to gain a bigger foothold in the healthcare industry.

Meanwhile Sports illustrated swimsuit model Kristen Louelle Gaffney, who is married to NFL star Tyler Gaffney, is ditching Los Angeles for Nashville, citing progressive policies and high taxes.

The mother-of-three said she is fed up with shelling out tax dollars which do little to alleviate the housing crisis and has no intention of supporting Mayor Karen Bass' LA4LA program.

Big businesses and rich people are moving to Nashville because of taxes an real estate prices.

Do the people that throw fit about these type of things consider this gentrification?

I moved to PA from Texas (I’m from Austin) in 2017.

I was driving up and got pulled over in Nashville.

The cop asked me where I was from in Texas, and when I told him Austin, he went on a rant about how Austin is like Nashville. Too many hipsters and douche bags from California.

I did not get a ticket.

Rather than stay in their state and work to vote out all of the political leaders that continue to prop up California policies as well as push for new ones continuing the same ideological framework, they move and bring their bullshit with them. Overtime, their voting habits turn their new local into the same bullshit they left. Modern Progressive Lefty ideology is a societal cancer.

Rather than stay in their state and work to vote out all of the political leaders that continue to prop up California policies as well as push for new ones continuing the same ideological framework, they move and bring their bullshit with them. Overtime, their voting habits turn their new local into the same bullshit they left. Modern Progressive Lefty ideology is a societal cancer.

You're not familiar with Oracle, are you?

You're not familiar with Oracle, are you?
I'm not speaking specifically of Oracle but of the issue with so many people fleeing California over its various policies, specifically it's tax policies in this case since people only care when it effects their money.

I moved to PA from Texas (I’m from Austin) in 2017.

I was driving up and got pulled over in Nashville.

The cop asked me where I was from in Texas, and when I told him Austin, he went on a rant about how Austin is like Nashville. Too many hipsters and douche bags from California.

I did not get a ticket.
Outside of Austin is pretty cool. I love living here.

Why Nashville locals are furious over the influx of wealthy residents as companies like Oracle rush to Tennessee​

Furious Nashville locals say they are being driven out of their city as wealthy residents and major companies continue making the move to Tennessee from blue states.

Once known for its country music scene, Nashville has seen a population boom over the last few years, with major corporations like Oracle choosing to move their headquarters there.

Attracted by lower property costs and taxes, Amazon has also announced it would set up major operations in downtown Nashville, and New York money manager AllianceBernstein said it would be moving its headquarters to the city, as reported by the Wall Street Journal.

In just 23 years, the metro Nashville region has gone from 1.3 million residents to 2.1million, per the US Census Bureau, increasing the value of property and the cost of living.

Still, while Nashville real estate has become more expensive, it is still relatively low when compared to other major US cities. The median home sale price at the end of February was $414,012, compared with the nationwide median of $327,667.

Remacia Smith, who grew up in Nashville, told the Wall Street Journal she recently was forced to move to the suburbs with her five children.

'It almost doesn’t look like Nashville anymore,' she said. 'Whew Lord, I wish people would stop moving here.'

Meanwhile lifelong resident John Michael Morgan, for his part, told the outlet he is concerned about Nashville keeping its essence.

'Nashville’s always been a big town that felt like a small town,' said Morgan. 'Now we’re a big town that feels like a big town.'

Earlier this month, Oracle founder Larry Ellison announced his plans to move the software giant's corporate headquarters from Kansas to Nashville.

Real estate agent Jack Gaughan told the WSJ that he expects prices to go up over the increased demand from the arrive of Oracle workers.

Ellison said the decision was based on a push by the company to gain a bigger foothold in the healthcare industry.

Meanwhile Sports illustrated swimsuit model Kristen Louelle Gaffney, who is married to NFL star Tyler Gaffney, is ditching Los Angeles for Nashville, citing progressive policies and high taxes.

The mother-of-three said she is fed up with shelling out tax dollars which do little to alleviate the housing crisis and has no intention of supporting Mayor Karen Bass' LA4LA program.

Big businesses and rich people are moving to Nashville because of taxes an real estate prices.

Do the people that throw fit about these type of things consider this gentrification?
Austin to Nashville right now:

07B89120-B48D-45FB-AF1D-49AF6CD16790.jpeg

I visited Nashville over the Summer in 2020. They were doing some serious construction there. Seemed like a fun place for a few days but fuck that heat.

Not surprising to hear people are getting priced out. It's happening all over the country with all the people fleeing CA, NY, and IL. I'm kind of curious what the next set of cities are that people are going to be flocking to after cities like Austin, Denver, Nashville, Phoenix, etc get too crowded/overpriced.

I visited Nashville over the Summer in 2020. They were doing some serious construction there. Seemed like a fun place for a few days but fuck that heat.

Not surprising to hear people are getting priced out. It's happening all over the country with all the people fleeing CA, NY, and IL. I'm kind of curious what the next set of cities are that people are going to be flocking to after cities like Austin, Denver, Nashville, Phoenix, etc get too crowded/overpriced.
I would guess places in Nebraska, Idaho, Iowa, North and South Dakota because they are cheaper.

lol.. Denver/Colorado was overun over a decade ago.... It's doubled since the 90's

It's been years since I was in Nashville. Had a great vibe then.

That said...meh. I have concerns about gentrification when it forces poor people out of their homes due to rising property taxes. People who've otherwise paid off their mortgages, done what they're supposed to do suddenly cannot afford their homes because wealthier people moved nearby. I think that's broken.

But I don't have a problem with rising house values absent that issue. This particular story seems way too early in the cycle for me to be concerned.

It's been years since I was in Nashville. Had a great vibe then.

That said...meh. I have concerns about gentrification when it forces poor people out of their homes due to rising property taxes. People who've otherwise paid off their mortgages, done what they're supposed to do suddenly cannot afford their homes because wealthier people moved nearby. I think that's broken.

But I don't have a problem with rising house values absent that issue. This particular story seems way too early in the cycle for me to be concerned.

Well, that sounds like an easy fix!
Don’t raise their property taxes!

I agree. it does suck when a lot of rich people move to your state from another state and fuck up your way of life and your finances.

That higher value of your home is awesome the day you sell it. Up until that day, those property taxes just go up and up and up and up.

Well, that sounds like an easy fix!
Don’t raise their property taxes!
You would think and yet not a single municipality has figured it out.

Probably should start a separate discussion about why tying property taxes to sales values and not to actual municipal need doesn't make sense and probably leads to significant underfunding of government while penalizing long term home owners and retirees.

I lived in Nashville over a decade ago. People were saying the same thing then as now.

Are these new folks moving into metro Nashville? Or are we talking places like Belle Meade, Green Hills, etc. Or maybe suburbs like Franklin and Cool Springs? Because then I wouldn't consider it gentrification, whatever that means.

Back