New to guitar

cincymma79

Double Yellow Card
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
So I don’t know shit. Stepson wants to learn and I bought him a starter kit. To encourage him I think I’ll learn a bit plus I love rage against the machine and hair bands. What’s a good one to start me out? Google turns up a couple results but I don’t know enough to really get it. Any recommendations from the crowd and mods move wherever.

Are you asking about lessons or buying a guitar?

I like this guys videos on YouTube although there are tons of good ones on there for free.
https://youtube.com/c/ScottPaulJohnson

If you're talking about buying a guitar (I assume you mean an electric) you can't beat the quality of Squire for the money. Ibanez makes good "beginner" guitars too. Check out their Gio series. I still play my Ibanez Gio all the time despite having more expensive guitars.

Last edited:
Start by learning to read tablature

Screen-Shot-2019-10-24-at-7.01.32-PM.png

That's just a small example string thickness goes from thickest EADGB and the last E being the thinnest. The numbers represent the frets and the 0's represent open strings so just pluck with your right hand only.
Then you can learn your basic chords

basic-guitar-chord-chart.gif

You will be looking at this from the right side and down.

Are you asking about lessons or buying a guitar?

I like this guys videos on YouTube although there are tons of good ones on there for free.
https://youtube.com/c/ScottPaulJohnson

If you're talking about buying a guitar (I assume you mean an electric) you can't beat the quality of Squire for the money. Ibanez makes good "beginner" guitars too. Check out their Gio series. I still play my Ibanez Gio all the time despite having more expensive guitars.
Recommend the gio to start me out?

Start by learning to read tablature

Screen-Shot-2019-10-24-at-7.01.32-PM.png

That's just a small example string thickness goes from thickest EADGB and the last E being the thinnest. The numbers represent the frets and the 0's represent open strings so just pluck with your right hand only.
Then you can learn your basic chords

basic-guitar-chord-chart.gif

You will be looking at this from the right side and down.
Screen Capped

what are the x and o

Last edited:
Have fun bro.

Also practice boring stuff with the guitar unplugged while watching TV or something. You will be surprised on how fast you will improve.

RATM is not hard to play.

RATM songs can usually be learned as a beginner in an hour minus the weird solos and effects that you have to figure out. Born of a Broken Man can be learned in about five minutes as long as you have 2 fingers.

I taught myself back in the good old days of just learning by ear. But, if I had to start over again I’d use Steve Stine’s lessons on YouTube. There’s even some advanced stuff that he breaks down really easy.

You also need an amp bro. Get a NUX Mighty Air. It's cheap, runs on a battery so you can take it from room to room or places, it has lots of effects, and it sounds good.

My first amp costs the equivalent of $200 in today's dollars and it sounded like a complete POS. Today, you can get things that actually sound good for that price. My guitar was also almost $500 in today's dollars and it was also a POS. The amp was worse though.

Back