Novak Djokovic "pressure is a privilege, my friend"

And gymnasts aren't??? Just look at what they do day and day out. They miss/slip on a balance beam it could be a world of hurt for them. With tennis players its wear and tear.

And the point is when a tennis player experiences mental fatigue or a weird mental block that prevents them from performing properly they won't get more injured if they fight through and play tennis. They just play bad tennis. That's not case for a gymnast. If they can't perform properly they can seriously injure themselves.

In high school I once had a weird mental block and suddenly couldn't hit a forehand correctly for 2 weeks. It would loop higher than usual or go out. It was weird and during those few games i actually ran around and hit more with my backhand. Eventually i fixed it hitting forehands continuously during practice for several weeks but it was annoying and my tennis partner (i was competing in doubles) and my opponents did notice it.

Im not saying gymnasts aren’t. I’m more less pointing out downplaying the injuries in tennis. Tennis players withdraw pretty often due to some type of injury and many choose not to even play in tournaments because they’re recovering from injuries. Serena just had to withdraw from Wimbledon. Literally YouTube tennis injuries and there are dozens of videos/compilations of people getting fucked up.

Im not saying gymnasts aren’t. I’m more less pointing out downplaying the injuries in tennis. Tennis players withdraw pretty often due to some type of injury and many choose not to even play in tournaments because they’re recovering from injuries. Serena just had to withdraw from Wimbledon. Literally YouTube tennis injuries and there are dozens of videos/compilations of people getting fucked up.

No one is downplaying any injuries.

Again if you don't feel like playing tennis or not giving your all you're not going to injure yourself anymore than if you were playing regularly. You can mail it in tennis and you'll be fine. It's way riskier to mail it in gymnastics because it requires precise execution and not doing that could result in serious harm.

Last time I checked I don't know of anyone who was paralyzed from playing tennis. It has happened in gymnastics. The levels of risks in terms of seriousness when it comes to injuries are way higher with gymnastics. It's not even close in comparison.

Which is why your comparison to Djokovic and Simone Biles made absolutely no sense.

Saying Djokovic is no stranger to pressure as if Simone didn't face any pressure throughout her career and excelled was asinine. She's the most decorated gymnast in the world with 31 combined Olympic and World championship medals. You don't accomplish that much without facing serious pressure day in and day out. She's been an elite pro gymnast since 2013.

If a tennis player doesn't think they can perform they simply lose. The chance of them getting injured (more than usual) is practically non-existent to none. Djokovic quit ~ just like Simone Biles. Plain and simple. If a gymnast doesn't think they can perform he/she can really seriously injured themselves. I am not super familiar with twisties but from what i read its serious enough to not attempt to fight it.

Basically what I am saying is your post was stupid.

What are you talking about? I posted an article. I didn't write the article. Geez

I once fucked up my leg and was really worried about tackling for about 4 games.

shit happens.

What are you talking about? I posted an article. I didn't write the article. Geez

you obviously agree with it if you’re making the effort of just posting it. Turns out you and the writer were wrong. Djoker folded under the pressure rendering the article useless and silly now.

Supposedly “pressure is a privilege” is a quote by one of the goat women’s tennis players Billie Jean King, whom Djoker has referenced before. Not surprised nobody is pointing out him quoting her lol.

you obviously agree with it if you’re making the effort of just posting it. Turns out you and the writer were wrong. Djoker folded under the pressure rendering the article useless and silly now.

Yikes mind reader over here.

Difference is this was Djokovic’s 94th most important tournament of his career. Don’t follow gymnastics, but I presume the Olympics is the pinnacle of the sport and you spend 4 years building up to it.

Difference is this was Djokovic’s 94th most important tournament of his career. Don’t follow gymnastics, but I presume the Olympics is the pinnacle of the sport and you spend 4 years building up to it.

as a stand alone tournament sure it’s not his most important. But he was chasing history to be the first male tennis player to win every major and Olympic gold in the same season, so would’ve been a historic feat.

as a stand alone tournament sure it’s not his most important. But he was chasing history to be the first male tennis player to win every major and Olympic gold in the same season, so would’ve been a historic feat.

Still will be without the Olympics. If he was to miss one, this is the one...... though I’m sure he’s still disappointed. Him never winning an Olympic gold has absolute zero effect on his legacy.

Honestly, sports like Tennis, Basketball, Golf and football don’t really belong in the Olympics, imo.

They are a novelty, not the pinnacle of the sport, like swimming, gymnastics etc.

Still will be without the Olympics. If he was to miss one, this is the one...... though I’m sure he’s still disappointed. Him never winning an Olympic gold has absolute zero effect on his legacy.

Honestly, sports like Tennis, Basketball, Golf and football don’t really belong in the Olympics, imo.

They are a novelty, not the pinnacle of the sport, like swimming, gymnastics etc.

Nobodys ever win all 4 grand slams and Olympic gold in the same year. Not Federer, not Nadal, not Sampras.. it would definitely be a landmark achievement and was why he was asked about playing under the pressure of potentially being the first/only player to ever do so.

Nobodys ever win all 4 grand slams and Olympic gold in the same year. Not Federer, not Nadal, not Sampras.. it would definitely be a landmark achievement and was why he was asked about playing under the pressure of potentially being the first/only player to ever do so.

No ones ever won all 4 majors in one year (in the open era) neither.....not Sampras, not Federer, not Nadal.

Olympics was merely a cherry on top of the pie.....a distant #5 in the list of priorities.

Not saying it’s irrelevant, but Olympic tennis means very little in the grand scheme of things.

No ones ever won all 4 majors in one year (in the open era) neither.....not Sampras, not Federer, not Nadal.

Olympics was merely a cherry on top of the pie.....a distant #5 in the list of priorities.

Not saying it’s irrelevant, but Olympic tennis means very little in the grand scheme of things.

Rod laver did it both before and in the open era.

Djokovic is literally the greatest athlete in the history of Serbia and had a chance to do something that’s never been done before. But yeah I’m sure there’s no pressure on him and Serbia doesn’t give a shit about watching their goat athlete in the olympics.

Rod laver did it both before and in the open era.

Djokovic is literally the greatest athlete in the history of Serbia and had a chance to do something that’s never been done before. But yeah I’m sure there’s no pressure on him and Serbia doesn’t give a shit about watching their goat athlete in the olympics.

You seem upset .... let it go snowflake.

He ain't wrong. The only issue I have is the difference in consequences of the pressure when we compare him to Biles.

He stuffs up, a semi hard fluffy ball hits him and probably leaves a bruise. She stuffs up, she breaks her neck

It sounds like there were a lot of restrictions and some happenstance leading to his crash. He couldn’t have his racquets strung between games (TUF for someone who relies so much on precision), and the conditions are said to be miserable.

Sounds like Biles and Djokovic are both entitled quitters.

It sounds like there were a lot of restrictions and some happenstance leading to his crash. He couldn’t have his racquets strung between games (TUF for someone who relies so much on precision), and the conditions are said to be miserable.

He was a bit precious in Australia too and he was on the good side of covid conditions.

I'm not going to begrudge him. It's a priviledge, but I hear quarantine facilities are no fun and can be very mentally taxing

Might have helped if he had not been stupidly stubborn headed about playing both singles and doubles. The Serbia team was happy enough to have him just play singles. He insisted on playing doubles as well and wore himself out.

The man literally went for beyond broke and ended up having to quit in the middle of his Olympic run.

Back