Old Gen vs New Gen MW fighters

Rhood

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
New Gen = DDP, Strickland, Imamov, Michel Pereira, Ikram, Khamzat, Kopylov

Old Gen = Cannonier, Costa, Vettori, Whittaker, Adesanya, Brunson, Weidman, Romero, Tavares

Whittaker will always look good against the old gen fighters in his division.
I'm not convinced that the Whittaker we saw last weekend could beat DDP if they fought again or any of the new gen MW rising fighters.
You can laugh all you want, but I'm convinced that Ikram, Michel, or Imamov would knock Robert's block off.
Not long ago people on sherdog were laughing themselves silly about DDP knocking out Whittaker. They thought it was impossible!

And here we are.....

Last edited:
I might favour imavov in a 3 rounder if they fought, ikram has an okay chance, pereira probably not

not a dagestani bias thing just how I see it. Need to see more of ikram to see how good he really is against the best though

Whittaker is still young enough to hang with the top of the division, but he's got a lot of milage. I think he'd match up better with a methodical or volume striker than with a very fast or very powerful striker. Wrestling/grappling has never been too big a problem for him at MW.

I think he's a live dog against Strickland or Chimaev. Obviously DDP didn't leave a lot of unanswered questions. I'd pick him against Imavov or Ikram today but not in a year or two.

The future is so exciting at MW. Look at that New Gen list and it doesn't even include Fluffy, Borralho, and Nickal (super early for him, I know).

I personally think MW is in a bubble of old gen guys and once the new guys break through they are all going to drop. Especially when a decent grappler cleans up the division. It's not as bad as LW, but still worse than people talk about.

Isnt Costa just 29?

Michel Pereira is not an elite MW or MMA fighter. He is fringe top 10-15 at best.

New Gen = DDP, Strickland, Imamov, Michel Pereira, Ikram, Khamzat, Kopylov

Old Gen = Cannonier, Costa, Vettori, Whittaker, Adesanya, Brunson, Weidman, Romero, Tavares

Whittaker will always look good against the old gen fighters in his division.
I'm not convinced that the Whittaker we saw last weekend could beat DDP if they fought again or any of the new gen MW rising fighters.
You can laugh all you want, but I'm convinced that Ikram, Michel, or Imamov would knock Robert's block off.
Not long ago people on sherdog were laughing themselves silly about DDP knocking out Whittaker. They thought it was impossible!

And here we are.....
Weidman, brunson, romero, tavares dont belong don't belong.

Should look more like this

New Gen = DDP, Strickland, Imamov, Michel Pereira, Ikram, Khamzat, Kopylov, Allen

Old Gen = Cannonier, Costa, Vettori, Whittaker, Adesanya, Brunson, Till, Gastelum

Older Gen=Rockhold, Weidman, Romero, Machida, Mousasi, Jacare, Kennedy

Back