"old man martial arts"?

mikan

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Curious to know if any of you transitioned to a more "gentle" art later in life? I spent 20 years in Enshin/Kyokuhshin and MT before injuries, life and maybe a bit of age and wisdom caused me to step aside. Now in my 50's, I miss the training and learning aspect of martial arts and am considering trying tai chi or even wing chin just for the learning and form style training without the brain trauma.
For those who may have done this or considered that type of switch, how did your former, full-contact or mma mindset adapt?

Curious to know if any of you transitioned to a more "gentle" art later in life? I spent 20 years in Enshin/Kyokuhshin and MT before injuries, life and maybe a bit of age and wisdom caused me to step aside. Now in my 50's, I miss the training and learning aspect of martial arts and am considering trying tai chi or even wing chin just for the learning and form style training without the brain trauma.
For those who may have done this or considered that type of switch, how did your former, full-contact or mma mindset adapt?
Enshin???
you from Dtown bro?

honestly i dont hate on it
i live in east asia now
always see the oldies out practicing straight sword, chain whip, bull whip, and broadswords. Plus stuff like tai chi, pakua etc..

it believe you cna practice the art well into old age especially if you are well schooled. but sparring and fighting should prolly fall away especially if you arent a professional earlier.
my first boxing coach just turned 70 and he still moves pretty well he has a real slick hop step left hook that is quick as fuque

keep your love for lady boxing strong but keep a side piece or two to keep your self sharp

Can't you just train without sparring? Also personally I'm done rolling unless it's light.

I’ll say this, don’t let anyone talk you into BJJ unless the gym has a good size group of guys your age and mindset. That shit will wreck you.
Yes sir! I'm 53 with old shoulders so I've definitely experienced that wreck!

Taichi and WC can't teach u nothing good hahah, better find another good hobby

If it were me I’d pursue kung fu, forms, weapons Katas, and other martial/movement arts. After all those years in practical, fight focused martial arts something light and fun would be helpful

Imho it will depend from exp+ shape and so on...

Some are good with boxing even till 60+.
Some with grappling...

I had some really humble exp with ppl considerably older than I was....
Even if it wasn't fight...
For example when I was late teen old gentleman extended his hand for handshake... It was a bit more close to some ritual stuff with 0 words.
I was <20 and a bit cocky and still like normal guy from daTechStreetZ... He was then 60+ and....it was like to shake hand with piece of steel .... His job was to process stone...and despite he then was business owner, he was former tradesman in Craft....
If to be fair handshake position was relatively rare in casual life: it is ritual thing like position and doesn't needs any words here or description.
He didn't had any special combat type training. Gentleman was just master of Craft...if in german manner...

I started boxing at 40 and MT at 42. No combat sports prior to that, really. Mid forties now and feeling fine. Last winter I was on vacation in Florida and working out at a gym there. An older guy doing a boxing workout chatted me up for a minute and we talked about a couple moves. I asked if he wanted to do a light sparring round and he said. "Nah I gave up sparring two years ago when I was 65."

So my answer is you gotta figure out what you wanna do, with the only caveat being you need to be aware of how much damage you've taken and want to take going forward. Currently I feel like I'll be sparring until I feel like I'm a sparring charity case wasting other people's time. But that could change.

I've always been curious to see how an average kicker ages compared to a puncher.

What most the idiots here don't realize is that anyone can learn basic Judo or wrestling and boxing and fight when they are in late teens, 20's, 30's or 40's.
The thing is when it really counts is when you are in 60's, 70's and even 80's.

Yes, this is where some of the Eastern internal arts shine. Both in terms of health and combat effectiveness.
I have seen late 70's Wing Chun masters who can take out the average guy in his 20's or 30's, even maybe 2-3 guys if he hits hard and fast and first and goes for the vulnerable targets. It's possible but perhaps few will believe me and I don't care nor am bothered if they miss out on these incredible systems.

Anyway the answer is yes, WC or Pa-kua would be good choices that do not rely primarily on muscular strength, endurance or huge conditioning to be effective.
And sadly you are more likely to be attacked when you are older and weaker the stats say so train and be prepared.
wp2653516.jpg

Last edited:
What most the idiots here don't realize is that anyone can learn basic Judo or wrestling and boxing and fight when they are in late teens, 20's, 30's or 40's.
The thing is when it really counts is when you are in 60's, 70's and even 80's.

Yes, this is where some of the Eastern internal arts shine. Both in terms of health and combat effectiveness.
I have seen late 70's Wing Chun masters who can take out the average guy in his 20's or 30's, even maybe 2-3 guys if he hits hard and fast and first and goes for the vulnerable targets. It's possible but perhaps few will believe me and I don't care nor am bothered if they miss out on these incredible systems.

Anyway the answer is yes, WC or Pa-kua would be good choices that do not rely primarily on muscular strength, endurance or huge conditioning to be effective.
And sadly you are more likely to be attacked when you are older and weaker the stats say so train and be prepared.
View attachment 932628
We don't have to believe, this is not religion, show us the videos hahaha

We don't have to believe, this is not religion, show us the videos hahaha
Videos of what?
I have seen first hand and felt that speed and power can be maintained into the 70's and maybe beyond, within the limits of health maintenance.
I have no doubts that if I maintain my practice at that age a chop to the throat will finish someone no matter their age. It's not religion or magic just physics and body mechanics.

Videos of what?
I have seen first hand and felt that speed and power can be maintained into the 70's and maybe beyond, within the limits of health maintenance.
I have no doubts that if I maintain my practice at that age a chop to the throat will finish someone no matter their age. It's not religion or magic just physics and body mechanics.
The videos of the Wing Chun guys doing the great things u say they can do
How is that chop to the throat?

I would definitely consider someting like tai chi when I'm older - not because I think I can knock people out with it, but because it gives you control over your muscles and keeps you flexible (essentially a form of yoga or mobility training) while still having the TMA mindset of discipline and self-improvement that I enjoy.

With your background, you might also just consider doing Shotokan if you can find a good dojo: sparring is lighter and usually optional and you can choose to focus on Kata and Kihon. I'm 43 and have got a family and a full-time job where I need my brain, so that's what I do - I still do some rounds of sparring but have made it clear that I'm a hobbyist now who isn't there to train for competition etc.

Last edited:
dont bother with him. It’s not worth your time and no good discussion will come of it

Of course all of these great deeds all happened before cameras were common place, so we just have to take his word for it that they happened

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back