"old man martial arts"?

there are plenty of Kyokushin guys over 50. I've actually seen and met a lot more Kyokushin guys in their 50's and 60's than in the other martial arts I've done including Shotokan, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing and MMA.

While some Kyokushin dojos focus a lot on Knockdown and fighting, some others don't focus on fighting and instead focus a lot more on kihon, kata and goshin jutsu so in those dojos you tend to find a lot more men and women above 40 and 50, even beginners.

So your big points are that:

- There's more over 50's doing Kyokushin as long as they basically just do kata and stay away from actual kyokushin sparring which is what I was referring to.

- There's more Kyokushin kata over 50's than do sparring based combat sport notorious for high impact like boxing, Muay Thai and MMA.

<Cage33>

he’s not worth engaging with
If you follow some good advise thats here now, you won't be a frail old man easily slapped around which is where you are heading.

- There's more over 50's doing Kyokushin as long as they basically just do kata and stay away from actual kyokushin sparring which is what I was referring to.

- There's more Kyokushin kata over 50's than do sparring based combat sport notorious for high impact like boxing, Muay Thai and MMA.

<Cage33>

If you follow some good advise thats here now, you won't be a frail old man easily slapped around which is where you are heading.
how old are you? I’m turning 38 in a few weeks and have posted plenty of video proof that I’m still moving strong and fine. Care to do the same?

<Cage33>

You purposefully misunderstood or misinterpreted my post. Nowhere I said no sparring. I said as long as it's not a dojo focusing on knockdown competitions it's fine for someone over 50 to do Kyokushin. Also I like how you intentionally decided to say there's more people over 50's doing "kyokushin kata" (not just Kyokushin) over boxing, muay thai and MMA and intentionally left out Shotokan which I had also listed.

What you do is basically wrongfully summarize someone's post in your favour to argue back and ignore the actual points being made.

At the end of the day Kyokushin is absolutely fine for someone over 50 and I've met plenty who do it at that age, including sparring. People are usefully respectful of one's age and physical ability both for the conditioning drills and the sparring.

You purposefully misunderstood or misinterpreted my post.

What you do is basically wrongfully summarize someone's post in your favour to argue back and ignore the actual points being made.
it’s his favorite pastime.

You purposefully misunderstood or misinterpreted my post. Nowhere I said no sparring. I said as long as it's not a dojo focusing on knockdown competitions it's fine for someone over 50 to do Kyokushin. Also I like how you intentionally decided to say there's more people over 50's doing "kyokushin kata" (not just Kyokushin) over boxing, muay thai and MMA and intentionally left out Shotokan which I had also listed.

At the end of the day Kyokushin is absolutely fine for someone over 50 and I've met plenty who do it at that age, including sparring. People are usefully respectful of one's age and physical ability both for the conditioning drills and the sparring.
With that definition then virtually any martial art would be suitable for over 50's including Muay Thai if you water it down enough. In fact there are plenty of 'Muay Thai lite' fitness type gyms with pad work and very light touch sparring which are also be suitble for noobs and older people if we use your very loose definition.

So why don't we just change it to 'tone down any martial art enough and anyone can do it'.

how old are you? I’m turning 38 in a few weeks and have posted plenty of video proof that I’m still moving strong and fine. Care to do the same?

LoL, I'm about the same age but that's not old at all I'm talking 50, 60+ which is where things will really show.

it’s his favorite pastime.
You, and those like you will never get over the fact that many arts not used widey in MMA are dangerous and effect if trained properly (although this is not fully true now since there are tons of methods from Filipino boxing and WC style techniques used in the cage as well anyway).

Plenty of Wing Chun guys are BJJ blackbelts as well these days or submission wrestling savvy although rolling around on the ground is the last thing you want to be doing in old age.

The fact you are so triggered is just humorous. Like I said, the systems not based so much on muscular force and with good body structure are those with the longevity.

With that definition then virtually any martial art would be suitable for over 50's including Muay Thai if you water it down enough. In fact there are plenty of 'Muay Thai lite' fitness type gyms with pad work and very light touch sparring which are also be suitble for noobs and older people if we use your very loose definition.

So why don't we just change it to 'tone down any martial art enough and anyone can do it'.

You just defeated your original argument and grasping at straws now.

No, my argument was for styles as they are normally practiced and it stands.

You don't even know how "styles" are practised because you don't even train, let alone know about those martial arts you speak of. You're older than the people you call old in this thread.

You don't even know how "styles" are practised because you don't even train, let alone know about those martial arts you speak of. You're older than the people you call old in this thread.
I do train and I have trained other styles and I do know.
You made a weak point, I clarified what you thought you were saying, and my original statement remains.
I am in late 30's, not too old in my book.

I didnt understand why the posts got so strange until I realized you are all talking to someone on my ignore list. Well who could that be when WC is mentioned <Lmaoo>
Really not worth the effort it just derails the thread. Never posted a clip of himself to confirm even basic skills and just lives in his bubble like all cult members. He is like a timetravel to the good old 80s "grandmasters" with their secret skill you could buy for money (Ashida Kim, Kernspecht ,Leung and all the other scammers) Just a fat WC nerd cosplaying fighting.

Regarding age and ma. In general I recommend a lot more intensive warm up routine and cardio to make up for aging.
Now after Covid and slowly getting back into shape I thought about also getting into BJJ but its just way too injury prone no matter how fit I am. One wrong move and a joint is shredded.
Will get back into boxing and stand up fighting arts are perfect to just adapt the training regime. I would never change to something nonsensical like wc after having done something legit. DoctorTacos recommnedation with pad work..etc is great. Its healthy, fun and keeps your skills in check to a point.Also include double end, bagwork, shadow boxing and you have enough content for varied training sessions.

If its only about moving well I would recommend running & dancing. More elegant and you can have fun with women.

Regarding Tai Chi that is NOT a martial art even if its described as one. That makes it still a fun healthy activity if people like the movement. Just dont think it has anything do with fighting. Did it for years and enjoyed it.

I do train and I have trained other styles and I do know.
You made a weak point, I clarified what you thought you were saying, and my original statement remains.
I am in late 30's, not too old in my book.

What's your training background then? I'm ready to bet my house you've never stepped a foot in a Kyokushin dojo, or even trained in the other martial arts you give your opinion about.

I didnt understand why the posts got so strange until I realized you are all talking to someone on my ignore list. Well who could that be when WC is mentioned <Lmaoo>
Really not worth the effort it just derails the thread. Never posted a clip of himself to confirm even basic skills and just lives in his bubble like all cult members. He is like a timetravel to the good old 80s "grandmasters" with their secret skill you could buy for money (Ashida Kim, Kernspecht ,Leung and all the other scammers) Just a fat WC nerd cosplaying fighting.

Regarding age and ma. In general I recommend a lot more intensive warm up routine and cardio to make up for aging.
Now after Covid and slowly getting back into shape I thought about also getting into BJJ but its just way too injury prone no matter how fit I am. One wrong move and a joint is shredded.
Will get back into boxing and stand up fighting arts are perfect to just adapt the training regime. I would never change to something nonsensical like wc after having done something legit. DoctorTacos recommnedation with pad work..etc is great. Its healthy, fun and keeps your skills in check to a point.Also include double end, bagwork, shadow boxing and you have enough content for varied training sessions.

If its only about moving well I would recommend running & dancing. More elegant and you can have fun with women.

Regarding Tai Chi that is NOT a martial art even if its described as one. That makes it still a fun healthy activity if people like the movement. Just dont think it has anything do with fighting. Did it for years and enjoyed it.
the ignore list is a good idea,
The dude adds nothing to the forum.
To your point about jits, we’ve got a bunch of old guys at our gym and they mainly roll with each other or the upper belts. That seems to be the best option as you get older but it can be tough to find a gym with a huge masters division like that. I’ve also got a whole bunch of older folks in my kickboxing bag class and their technique is getting better each class. It’s pretty cool.

To your point about jits, we’ve got a bunch of old guys at our gym and they mainly roll with each other or the upper belts.

Problem is I would have to start at beginner and there you always have some guy not able to control himself at all. Beware women are watching then it becomes Gladiator. Other than that light drilling and medium sparring in bjj I would be all down for that, just dont think thats possible.
Also BJJ can get quite demanding on the hands esp. with gi and I have some problems with small joints.

the ignore list is a good idea,
The dude adds nothing to the forum.
To your point about jits, we’ve got a bunch of old guys at our gym and they mainly roll with each other or the upper belts. That seems to be the best option as you get older but it can be tough to find a gym with a huge masters division like that. I’ve also got a whole bunch of older folks in my kickboxing bag class and their technique is getting better each class. It’s pretty cool.

Two idiots wanking each other off and spewing nonsense. Neither of you are qualified or in any position to talk about 'old man' martial arts.
BJJ is flat out the worst style you could ever do for old age.

Wing Chun can indeed be health promoting and will give you skills and power that remains with you in old age. The same is true of other internal styles which you have little to no exposure of and have no valid points to make about.

Last edited:
Problem is I would have to start at beginner and there you always have some guy not able to control himself at all. Beware women are watching then it becomes Gladiator. Other than that light drilling and medium sparring in bjj I would be all down for that, just dont think thats possible.
Also BJJ can get quite demanding on the hands esp. with gi and I have some problems with small joints.
all very true. When you get your blue belt past 40 they should also give you a case of athletic tape for your fingers and wrists

If anyone here can just ignore the trolling by the usual suspects on this thread who are clueless about anything outside their myopic view of martial arts, there is real gold here in seeing what's possible at an advanced age with certain forms of training.

More about the gym than the art in my experience..

I took an arrow to the knee (both ligaments and meniscus).. after rehab i'm not affected at all in everyday life but if someone outsmarts me or checks a kick a little to well i can tell i'm not a 100%..

Sparring guys with big egos or someone who for any reason thinks i'm a scalp (i'm not) is a big no for me..

It's just not worth showing up to meetings with black eyes/cuts or tearing something again.. i won't heal up this good anymore..

Basically find a gym with your mindset..

* well fuck me, was sure this was the mayberry.. i have no business giving advice in this forum haha..

More about the gym than the art in my experience..

I took an arrow to the knee (both ligaments and meniscus).. after rehab i'm not affected at all in everyday life but if someone outsmarts me or checks a kick a little to well i can tell i'm not a 100%..

Sparring guys with big egos or someone who for any reason thinks i'm a scalp (i'm not) is a big no for me..

It's just not worth showing up to meetings with black eyes/cuts or tearing something again.. i won't heal up this good anymore..

Basically find a gym with your mindset..

* well fuck me, was sure this was the mayberry.. i have no business giving advice in this forum haha..
posters here are half as misogynistic but twice as arrogant imo.

i agree with you though. Good training partners makes the difference. Like I said early ITT our head instructor is 50 and just took seconds at masters worlds. We’ve got a whole bunch of old guys who train jits and they stick with themselves and the upper belts

For jits, i tap to stacks and leg lock position immediately. If a young, tough guy manages to start to stack me, i just tap. I'll throw myself into bottom side control before I get stacked in guard.

Yeah, it sucks to be beat up and old, but i really like rolling with whoever. I just make it clear that i really think of tapping to stacks as a real tap and that i don't think I'm too good for it.

Anyway, stacks, leg locks, and neck crank guilloteens (avoided by not shooting and not being careful in guard) are the main problems and i can generally keep any of that from happening in most rolls.

Back