Out of these musicians (Tournament) - Who are the 5 best singers? (First Elimination Round)

Who's your picks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Freddie's gonna walk this whole tournament, just listen to this track with the instruments removed.

Let's all try to vote for more than just voice and power though: personality, attitude and the abilities to do interesting things with a lesser voice or interpret lyrics in various interesting ways should count too. For instance, Whitney Huston and Mariah Carey have great voices but they are, in my opinion, boring singers - Much prefer David Bowie or Nina Simone to either.

For this round, apart from Freddie, I'm picking Aretha, Paul Simon, Steven Tyler (his 70'ies lyrics are especially good) and Bonnie Raitt who isn't my style of music but has undeniable vocal talent.

Fred
Aretha
Cyndi
Maynard
Mike

To the folks who keep laughing at Cyndi Lauper being on the list... That girl can belt it out with ridiculous range and power to sit with the best of women singers of all time. Good enough for me...

Mike Patton and Axel Rose are numbers 1 and 2. Patton has more vocal gusto than any singer on planet earth, most don't realize his gifted talent level.

Freddie
Layne
Aretha Franklin
Aaron Lewis
Steven Tyler

I think MJ is overrated as a singer and he clearly didn't need my help to advance to the next round so I left him out, even though he probably deserves the vote.

@MXZT
Could have added Chris Isaac , Elvis & Buddy Holly.

Ok done venting...maybe

Of those listed...Mind that I'm impacted by remembering live shows a bit..

Freddy Mercury
Annie Lenox
Layne Stanley
Maynard
Cindi Lauper - sorry love the lass!

That woman doesn't get nearly enough props. Should be a Rock n' Roll and WWE Hall of Fame inductee. Her popularity height was Girls Just Wanna Have Fun and tiaras and showing up on TV with that ridiculous Brooklyn accent but Cyndi Lauper is a damn national treasure! Grammy? Check. Tony? Check. MTV Award? Check. A lifetime of activism? Check.

Freddie's gonna walk this whole tournament, just listen to this track with the instruments removed.

Let's all try to vote for more than just voice and power though: personality, attitude and the abilities to do interesting things with a lesser voice or interpret lyrics in various interesting ways should count too. For instance, Whitney Huston and Mariah Carey have great voices but they are, in my opinion, boring singers - Much prefer David Bowie or Nina Simone to either.

For this round, apart from Freddie, I'm picking Aretha, Paul Simon, Steven Tyler (his 70'ies lyrics are especially good) and Bonnie Raitt who isn't my style of music but has undeniable vocal talent.

The guys in rock/metal that could challenge Freddie Mercury are not in the poll. As I pointed out, Axl Rose was a 6 octave singer and as @Kryptt pointed out, Ronnie James Dio was a ridiculous level singer considering he was in a metal band.

The guys in rock/metal that could challenge Freddie Mercury are not in the poll. As I pointed out, Axl Rose was a 6 octave singer and as @Kryptt pointed out, Ronnie James Dio was a ridiculous level singer considering he was in a metal band.

This is a tournament. There are a 100 musicians in this tournament. Axl Rose will be in this tournament.

Back