Out of these musicians (Tournament) - Who are the 5 best singers? (First Elimination Round)

Who's your picks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I never found MJ to be a very strong vocalist. He was good, not outstanding, imo. He got to be so great not with one feat, but with many- singing, dancing, charisma, good material, etc.

Out of those present here Fredie stands out, Aretha was very good.
Layne Staley gets not enough respect in the poll, he was brilliant and probably the best grunge singer.

Fred
Aretha
Cyndi
Maynard
Mike

To the folks who keep laughing at Cyndi Lauper being on the list... That girl can belt it out with ridiculous range and power to sit with the best of women singers of all time. Good enough for me...

Mike Patton and Axel Rose are numbers 1 and 2. Patton has more vocal gusto than any singer on planet earth, most don't realize his gifted talent level.

Pat Benatar sort of lead the way for a singer like Cyndi Lauper but really, probably the most incredible "front woman" of all time is in the poll, Ann Wilson.

Heart's tribute to Led Zeppelin may be the greatest cover of all time. For anyone that hasn't seen it, you really should check it out. John Bonham's son Jason is on drums, Led Zeppelin in the audience, president Obama in the audience. Its a star studded event and the pressure must have been immense but Ann Wilson pulls it off in an absurdly awesome way.

Looking at the big list, they have Emmylou Harris & Dolly Parton but not Linda Ronstadt, who was the best of the 3.
Ozzy's on there too but not Ian Gillan, Rob Halford, or Bruce Dickinson. How do they not have Metal God and Rock Jesus on the list?

And no Roy Khan or Floor Jansen.

Sad but predictable that Ann Wilson isn’t getting much love. She’s arguably top 5 pure vocalist on the list. Her skills are absolutely outrageous, and she carried them into her 60s.

This vocal performance is the stuff of rock gods.

Sad but predictable that Ann Wilson isn’t getting much love. She’s arguably top 5 pure vocalist on the list. Her skills are absolutely outrageous, and she carried them into her 60s.

This vocal performance is the stuff of rock gods.

Yea, its a shame. Ann Wilson is one of the best lead singers for a rock band ever, male or female. If you watch that tribute to Led Zeppelin I posted, she basically makes Robert Plant cry. That's about as high of praise as a singer could get while performing someone else's song.

No particular order
MJ
Billie
Freddie
Aretha
Cyndi

Yea, its a shame. Ann Wilson is one of the best lead singers for a rock band ever, male or female. If you watch that tribute to Led Zeppelin I posted, she basically makes Robert Plant cry. That's about as high of praise as a singer could get while performing someone else's song.

I was late to the Heart party by a couple of decades so I completely underestimated what I was about to see when I first watched that performance. It is absolutely the best cover of Stairway I’ve ever heard. I can’t say enough good things about her performance. She deserves to be among the greatest of the greats.

Damn, maybe it's a tough bracket, maybe it's the generation I grew up in, but it's crazy that Layne Staley didn't make Top 5.

<TheWire1>

1.) Freddie Mercury
2.) Michael Jackson
3.) Aretha Franklin
4.) Billie Holiday
5.) Layne Staley

Freddie and Michael gotta be the top 2

Freddie Mercury
Freddie Mercury
Freddie Mercury
Michael Jackson
Freddie Mercury

Michael Jackson
Freddie Mercury
Cyndi Lauper
Ann Wilson
Aretha Franklin
We agree at every one but Cyndi Lauper. I voted Annie Lennox instead. That said, I considered her. Some on here are disrespecting her serious chops based on pink hair and silly lyrics, but she definitely has skill and talent.
All my picks are based on pure vocalist ability, as judged by me.
MJ
Freddie Mercury
Annie Lennox
Ann Wilson (had to look her up, but Heart vocals are undeniably good)
and Aretha
Freddy Mercury, Steve Perry, then the rest.
Aretha was great, though.
Well, Steve Perry wasn't in this round so why not throw Aretha a vote? R E S P E C T !

Back