Opinion Pathetic review of the new movie "Vacation Friends"

MMA_enthusiast

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
"Vacation Friends" is a happy buddy comedy in a world where race doesn't matter. That's a problem

https://www.salon.com/2021/08/27/vacation-friends-review-hulu/

However, here we are in 2021 with a perfectly serviceable comedy about Black people and white people mixing harmoniously with no problems whatsoever, written by white men for a cast that's mostly Black.

It's natural to take comfort in the simple humor of "Vacation Friends" without pondering everything its subtext implies, the positive and the questionable.

The affection fueling the friendship Ron assumes that Marcus shares comes from a touching place that, again, has nothing do to with race. Indeed, revealing that detail underscores the idea that Ron only sees Marcus' beautiful spirit and solid character. That's lovely.

But that does not match the current social atmosphere, and it doesn't trust Cena's and Howery's abilities to speak honestly and humorously about their very obvious differences in terms of upbringing, class and yes, race, and how those traits impact the way the world sees and treats each of them. These actors are audience favorites, evidenced in the number of summer movies they've showed up in lately. They could pull this off. It's a shame nothing in the script gives them a chance to do so.

Instead, "Vacation Friends" holds in place the idyll of a comfortable fantasy predicated upon the thinking that if nobody acknowledges the very real prejudices Ron and Marcus would have to overcome in order to forge a true friendship, even if only for a moment, then nobody else does either.

No movie is supposed to solve all these problems, and certainly not a dumb, fun dog days of August comedy release. The simple pleasure of buddy comedies rest in the way they allow us to forget our problems for about two hours and simply laugh our asses off at, say, Cena's Ron and Howery's Marcus tripping balls in a field while a crunchy Beastie Boys track bounces in the background.

But in the ways I've mentioned, "Vacation Friends" joins a long list of such comedies that promote the fantasy that the racial strife between white people and Black people is a matter of perception, not reality.

In that view to be honest about the realities of the world these characters purport to travel and live in would be a downer. So instead of bringing candor and humor into this mix and trusting talented and able comic actors to handle such societal obstacles with grace and levity, they don't address them at all.

Instead what we get is a film with a mostly Black cast that assumes a level of racelessness as some white people imagine it – a wonderful comedy about Black and white friendships for people who see no color, and love an opportunity to ignore their troubles and retreat from it all.

i am just gonna state this, i am not left or right. i am australian but come on man does every movie need a political dissection for fucks sake. Its a comedy movie. This individual got paid to write this nonsense by a well known media outlet.

I don't understand getting your panties in a knot over a review like that. Yeah the racial angle is a little pedantic and annoying, but it's pretty tame overall. How did you even find it?

Imagine getting your panties in a knot over a review like that. Yeah the racial angle is a little pedantic and annoying, but it's pretty tame overall. How did you even find this?
i typed vacation friends on google and this was the article topic associated with it on the first page. fuck me right for coming onto a discussion forum voicing my opinion

No longer is entertainment allowed to be that it must be woke and any entertainment value is not the point. It must be the correct woke value in the making and the viewing. Any less then that is racist and whatever ist they can play.

i typed vacation friends on google and this was the article topic associated with it on the first page. fuck me right for coming onto a discussion forum voicing my opinion
I just did the same and didn't see it anywhere. I'm getting IMDB, wiki, rottentomatoes, metacritic, NYT and so on. I'm not trying to chastise you, I just don't see how a movie with racial themes discussed as such in what is a very tame analysis, by some random reviewer from Salon, is thread worthy.

I don't know how often you visit this place but as you can see from the responses it's like a bat call for the reactionaries.

I watched this last night. Not a great comedy but it killed a couple of hours. I think there was one mention in the beginning about white people jet skiing ... It was actually refreshing to see something where race between a black guy and a white guy didn't need to be brought up every ten minutes.

The article is weird though. It addresses class which is a theme of the movie and so much more important than skin colour.

But that does not match the current social atmosphere, and it doesn't trust Cena's and Howery's abilities to speak honestly and humorously about their very obvious differences in terms of upbringing, class and yes, race, and how those traits impact the way the world sees and treats each of them.

I just did the same and didn't see it anywhere. I'm getting IMDB, wiki, rottentomatoes, metacritic, NYT and so on. I'm not trying to chastise you, I just don't see how a movie with racial themes discussed as such in what is a very tame analysis, by some random reviewer from Salon, is thread worthy.

I don't know how often you visit this place but as you can see from the responses it's like a bat call for the reactionaries.
In Australia Google works backwards, it's like the toilet flushing thing

m05ss2g.jpeg

But why shouldn't we? After all, one of the reasons interracial buddy comedies are a standard is because they create a fantasy of friendship between a white male protagonist and a Black male protagonist, let alone a white guy from Oregon and Black man who lives in Georgia, that in the real world would be highly unlikely.
What? Firstly, out of all the implausible things that happen in these comedies, this is the thing they focus on? Second, how is that at all unlikely? I understand why lefties always flip their shit when someone mentions their best friend being black--lefties have no black friends.

Have to consider the source. Salon basically has to keep up the image it has created for itself. It’s just the role they always play.

Jesus, can you imagine if every time you hang out with a friend of a different race you had to frame the whole thing around privilege and social injustices instead of treating them like a friend.

What must this person imagine dating is like? They must be a hoot at parties.

Sounds like the writer is mad there isnt a token character in the mix.

A blended movie that doesn't rely tokenism...

How is this a bad thing?

Has the writer never seen Lethal Weapon?!

I don't understand getting your panties in a knot over a review like that. Yeah the racial angle is a little pedantic and annoying, but it's pretty tame overall. How did you even find it?

What is your race? What is your sexual preference? What are your pronouns?

Back