No Spoilers Perhaps odd historical question about Italians

My guess is some qualities, traits, ambitions aren't passed down via genes. Consider kids of rich parents where the kids end up losers who are completely unlike the hard working, smart parents who built success from nothing.

Hopefully I don't get dubs for asking, but what is the back story to that particular ethnic slur?

If someone knows and can enlighten me, maybe use spoiler tags or PM me.

I have no malice towards anyone, I'm just curious as to the meaning and linguistic root of that word. It doesn't seem readily apparent to me, like most racial slurs tend to.
I think it's derived from the Italian word for eggplant.

So you asking why italians are not war mongers like usa because many wars have been fought at their land and many people died

Over thousands of years languages morph but Latin and Italian are actually quite similar.

Rome conquered those that conquered it.

Germans conquered Rome and eventually became the Holy Roman Empire under Barbarossa, then the Austrians.

The Holy Roman Empire lasted until the early 1800’s when Napoleon (who called himself Consul when he first took power) disbanded it. Even when the Turks conquered the Eastern Roman Empire they adopted a lot of Roman customs and made their capital the old capital of Eastern Rome. Some scholars argue that the Ottoman Empire was a successor to the Eastern Roman Empire; after all, Rome itself changed religions when it abandoned Jupiter for Christ - so why couldn’t the same be true with Muhammad? It’s actually less of a change, as the old Roman myths were abandoned entirely when Rome became Christian while Muslims still venerate Jesus as an important figure. And yes, Turkish is quite different from Latin, but so is Greek quite different from Latin

Last edited:
Ancient Rome, just like modern Italy, was settled by people from all over the place - more than 70 million people across Europe, the Middle East and Africa called Rome their capital.

Modern Italians were descended from Celts, Greeks, Phoenicians, Africans, Jews, Germans, Arab invaders and anyone else who might have ended up in Italy at some point.

So you're taking an already diverse nation, Rome and then putting it through 2,000 years of different groups invading, assimilating, etc. The barbarian Germans in the North, Arab invaders in the South, some mixture with the Eastern Roman empire which outlasted the Western part by hundreds of years, etc.

Last edited:
Modern Italians have more in common with Arabs than with the ancient Romans

They have been raped incessantly since Diocletian
This is complete nonsense.
There has been a small percent in Sicily, but not in mainland Italy. If anything the influence has been more from German and Slavic migrations to the region.

There has been a small percent in Sicily, but not in mainland Italy. If anything the influence has been more from German and Slavic migrations to the region.
Italian cope detected

Over thousands of years languages morph but Latin and Italian are actually quite similar.

Germans conquered Rome and eventually became the Holy Roman Empire under Barbarossa, then the Austrians.

The Holy Roman Empire lasted until the early 1800’s when Napoleon (who called himself Consul when he first took power) disbanded it. Even when the Turks conquered the Eastern Roman Empire they adopted a lot of Roman customs and made their capital the old capital of Eastern Rome. Some scholars argue that the Ottoman Empire was a successor to the Eastern Roman Empire; after all, Rome itself changed religions when it abandoned Jupiter for Christ - so why couldn’t the same be true with Muhammad? It’s actually less of a change, as the old Roman myths were abandoned entirely when Rome became Christian while Muslims still venerate Jesus as an important figure. And yes, Turkish is quite different from Latin, but so is Greek quite different from Latin

By Jupiter!!! You're right!!!

Modern Italians have more in common with Arabs than with the ancient Romans

They have been raped incessantly since Diocletian

@Quadtavius Tuck this is nonsense to say they this much in common
It is fair to say they have been culturally influenced by same, but I'd suggest even moreso by the various nomadic steppe people such as the Hun, Mongol, etc.
forced migration from the north and east from steppe invasions caused this cultural dilution. The Huns and Mongol forced the goths, vandals, Arab predecessors into classical Roman territory

@Quadtavius Tuck this is nonsense to say they this much in common
It is fair to say they have been culturally influenced by same, but I'd suggest even moreso by the various nomadic steppe people such as the Hun, Mongol, etc.
forced migration from the north and east from steppe invasions caused this cultural dilution. The Huns and Mongol forced the goths, vandals, Arab predecessors into classical Roman territory

The most recent invasions of Italy were by the French, British, Americans, Austrians and Germans.

I would say the American influence is the most pervasive in terms of recent invaders. There are McDonalds across Italy, the U.S. army remains in Italy, English is basically their second language and American movies play in Italian theatres all the time

Didn't the Holy Roman Empire basically start with Charlemagne?

Climate.

Areas with seasonal climate have a stronger understanding of time, deadlines, and discipline. Due to global warming, Italy's population living with proper climate has dwindled, while the population living in consistently warm weather has increased, this ruining the country's overall discipline and abilities.

This is why Northern Italians view Southern Italians as lazy. And Southern Italians view Northern Italians as Germans.
I think this is a good point. Also, what happened to Scandinavians? they used to be badass vikings. They are the same people but aspects change over time which changes the national character. Italy was fragmented and conquered many times, controlled by various outside powers while some states maintained independence.

Didn't the Holy Roman Empire basically start with Charlemagne?

Yes, it’s my understanding he was a Frank (French) but he did speak German, so I guess he could be considered a German conqueror

Back