Post Punk / Post Hardcore / Screamo / Math Core / Math Rock etc.

Some Equalvision bands i used to like

And an Equalvision band i love to this day

^^ MLIW are one of my favorite bands. probably the best band of that genre

GUTG/american nightmare awesome as well

obligatory

Dunno if you pay guitar, but song is so fun to play between the shedding those harmonics and the breakdown.
ya i do. lol my old band use to cover this song at our shows randomly (like every other hardcore band around that time)

ya i do. lol my old band use to cover this song at our shows randomly (like every other hardcore band around that time)

Haha did you rock the "A|N" hoodie like everyone else back then too?

2009.11.20.an1.jpg

Haha did you rock the "A|N" hoodie like everyone else back then too?

2009.11.20.an1.jpg
lmao how fucked up is it that i immediately thought of that hoodie as well? i had the varsity red letters AMERICAN NIGHTMARE one though. might even still have it though i think this chick may have kept it from me

lmao how fucked up is it that i immediately thought of that hoodie as well? i had the varsity red letters AMERICAN NIGHTMARE one though. might even still have it though i think this chick may have kept it from me

I wore an HWM hoodie through my scene/college years. I can't find a picture of it though.

I also remember tons of plain ass BANE t-shirts floating around.

I only saw AN twice. I forget who they opened for the first time, but the second time i caught them opening for Glassjaw with Co&Ca and The Blood Brothers. It was right after they had to change their name and were going by AMERICAN NOTHING, lol. I didn't even know it was them till they got on stage and started playing.

Last edited:
I wore an HWM hoodie through my scene/college years. I can't find a picture of it though.

I also remember tons of plain ass BANE t-shirts floating around.

I only saw AN twice. I forget who they opened for the first time, but the second time i caught them opening for Glassjaw with Co&Ca and The Blood Brothers. It was right after they had to change their name and were going by AMERICAN NOTHING, lol. I didn't even know it was them till they got on stage and started playing.
haha ya i had the standard bane tee also. i have/had a shit ton of band shirts. never saw AN. that would have been a good show i'm sure. saw blood brothers and MLIW. BB were very good when i saw them. they opened for against me this was a while back

haha ya i had the standard bane tee also. i have/had a shit ton of band shirts. never saw AN. that would have been a good show i'm sure. saw blood brothers and MLIW. BB were very good when i saw them. they opened for against me this was a while back

Ha, nice! I caught that Against Me!/Blood Brothers tour too. Saw them at the Bowery Ballroom. Watched BB and then left after 2 or 3 Against Me! songs. I hadn't gotten into them yet.

A decade later, I still like Against Me very much and find it pretty difficult to listen to most Blood Brothers songs.

Also discovered this today, which i found pretty rad:

Replacements cover by Tom Gable, Joan Jett, and.....Miley Cyrus??

Ha, nice! I caught that Against Me!/Blood Brothers tour too. Saw them at the Bowery Ballroom. Watched BB and then left after 2 or 3 Against Me! songs. I hadn't gotten into them yet.

A decade later, I still like Against Me very much and find it pretty difficult to listen to most Blood Brothers songs.
Replacements cover by Tom Gable, Joan Jett, and.....Miley Cyrus??
lol that is a random group of people to get together. agreed on blood brothers. only like certain songs of theirs. all the old against me stuff is top notch, haven't heard much of the more recent stuff

lol that is a random group of people to get together. agreed on blood brothers. only like certain songs of theirs. all the old against me stuff is top notch, haven't heard much of the more recent stuff

I still listen to this song...I'll have to relisten to Crimes to see if there are any others like this that aren't quite so chaotic, but i know Burn Piano Island Burn does nothing for me now.

As for Against Me, i seem to be odd in that i don't like the earlier, garage/folk stuff as much as the newer, more polished, melodic songs.

I still listen to this song...I'll have to relisten to Crimes to see if there are any others like this that aren't quite so chaotic, but i know Burn Piano Island Burn does nothing for me now
As for Against Me, i seem to be odd in that i don't like the earlier, garage/folk stuff as much as the newer, more polished, melodic songs.
i'll have to check out the newer against me stuff. i like the old against me stuff the most probably because of all the memories i have of when i first heard those songs. that and i love how simple it sounds

I still listen to this song...I'll have to relisten to Crimes to see if there are any others like this that aren't quite so chaotic, but i know Burn Piano Island Burn does nothing for me now.

Some of their more mellow stuff that I still like a lot, well Metronomes is OK, probably more to your tastes than mine.

Gang of Four cover - it grows on you.

But I still love their chaotic stuff too

My favourite Blood Brothers song, when this song was released I was spending many a sleepless night playing around with keyboards and delay pedals, so it really spoke to me.

I don't know what it was with "Burn Piano Island, Burn" but I got bored of that album fairly quickly, too repetitive maybe.

YouTube recommended this one to me. I hadn't heard it in 15+ years, totally forgot about it. Great track.

Some Piebald from their early days when they wrote screamo songs.

Who else was writing math-rock / screamo songs like this in 1994? Talented dudes

Piebald - Still We Let It Choke Us (My favourite Piebald song, although it's more emo-pop-punk)

Ink and Dagger (when these guys were on, they really rocked)

Unwound - I was never big into these guys but they deserve a mention

Wild Orchid Children (Psychedelic Rock/Hardcore/Punk/Funk) (2010)

The Doors, The Mars Volta, Wild Orchid Children = proof that doing peyote makes for good song-writing.

Mellow things up a bit

The Samuel Jackson Five - So Many Cowboys, So Few Indians

Antlers - Dogwood

Back