Prime Fedor vs Jon Jones?

Under Pride rules and in a ring, Fedor all day long, but with the unified rules/cage I would have to go with Jones.

Say whatever you like but if its Pride FC Fedor...NO ONE who was a fan back then is putting money on Jones.

Fedor WAS a strategic genius back then.

Watch him block Cro Cops kicks while protecting both his body and head at the same time.

Fedor would've been the dude that chopped Jons legs till he fell.

I think we're at the point where it would be appropriate also to designate whether we're speaking of current Jon Jones or prime Jon Jones. Yes, it seems pretty obvious to me that he, also, is past his prime. Its really hard to prognosticate hypothetical matchups with Jones because he's so cerebral in every fight. He comes with a tailor made strategy for neutralizing each specific opponents' preferred method of attack. Jon has a way of making fighters look bad. Fighter after fighter will say after fighting him, "I don't know what was wrong with me in there. I just couldn't get off" or something along those lines. I don't know if he's throwing their timing off or making them afraid to engage because of the way he makes them pay for it each time, but he has a way of sapping their aggression more than anyone else I've seen.
To answer the question, prime Jones destroys prime Fedor IMO. Current Jones against prime Fedor would be an interesting matchup for me.

The interesting thing is that prime Fedor also adjusted very well against opponents, changing his style (often on the fly), as needed. That was a big part of his success. For instance, against Crocop he noticed that Crocop couldn't get his kicks off well when moving backwards, so he started pressing, and Crocop spent much of the fight back pedalling trying to find room to kick. Also in the same fight Fedor noticed Crocop didn't like shin on shin contact on leg kicks (and Crocop had devastating leg kicks. So instead of trying to avoid the leg kicks like most people, Fedor started blocking them shin on shin -- and Crocop stopped throwing leg kicks (basically shin on shin means equal pain, and Fedor was more willing to put up with that pain than Crocop was).

The other similarity is that fighters would say after fighting prime Fedor that they just didn't realize how fast and how strong he was until they got into the ring with him. He looked doughy and out of shape when they watched, but felt very different when they actually fought him. Prime Jones and prime Fedor both looked to have weaknesses from the outside which turned out to be non-existent when you were actually fighting them.

I have no idea who would win between prime Fedor and prime Jones, as I said I'd give an edge to Fedor under Pride rules/conditions, an edge to Jones under UFC rules/conditions. I will say that anyone who isn't making millions betting on fights can be very certain and still be very wrong -- if they really were good enough to predict the results of such fights with certainty they'd be making huge money betting on fights.

Prime Fedor was in 2009
Ironic that you're correcting someone on what year Fedor was in his prime, then you reference a year in which Fedor was most certainly not in his prime.

<{cruzshake}>

Fedor got KO'ed by a middleweight.

Jones would win by being better at every aspect of MMA.

yes because Semmi schilt provides the same takedown threat and Hellblows that Jones does for overreaching against him in the striking department.

oh ... and did Fedor even actually strike with Schilt? all i’m seeing is Fedor spamming takedowns.

lol good luck with that vs Jones.

Prime Fedor changed tactics for every fighter, typically surprising them. Everyone expected him to avoid the ground like crazy against Big Nog, but instead Fedor went for the ground repeatedly. Everyone expected him to spam takedowns against Crocop, and instead Fedor went for (and got) the win using striking. Jones does the same thing. Which makes predicting this fight extremely hard, because we have no idea what either of them would do -- other than we could predict both would come in with a surprise, and then adapt continuously.

Jones and Fedor were both very intelligent, very surprising fighters in their primes (Jones is out of his prime now too). Predicting how they would fight was rarely correct. Both were also very good at coming up with new tactics on the fly. I'd say they were the two most fight intelligent and adaptable fighters in MMA.

My guess is that a hypothetical match between them would have been a chess game, and anyone not making millions betting on fights is kidding themselves if they think they can predict the outcome with any kind of certainty.

I would say the difference would be the grappling. Fedor was a beast at grappling and fast as lightning. But I would not bet on that fight either way.

We really haven't seen Jones eat heavy leather his defense is really good, but Fedor did has insane speed combined with great power, I think if Fedor could catch him he may be able to take JJ out, Fedor is very Chaotic in his fights, I think Jones would come in with a good strategy and probably finish Fedor. Fedor may win a first match but I think if they were to fight 10 times, Fedor could win the first fight and then Jones would win the next 8 or 9 as he would really adapt to Fedor's style and beat Fedor with a superior game plan.

Fedor. But I could see him struggling, it would not be an easy fight for him.

Fedor now though.... should be barred from fighting for medical reasons. A person prone to getting concussed that easily is not a healthy individual - and is likely to suffer a severe brain trauma in any of the future fights.

I completely agree with this. Also for Anderson, and in fact any fighter who gets tagged repeatedly. I've no idea how this would be decided/enforced though.

Fedor because Jones doesn't hit hard enough to discourage him from closing the distance.

Lol fanboy schilt had never trained wrestling in his life. if fedor tried to do the same vs jones he would first be stopped in his tracks by front kicks and side kicks, have his body broken by hard knees then be bodylocked to the mat where he gets finished in 30 seconds by elbows from hell.

The only person who got finished by elbows was that deaf retard Matt Hamill and he won that fight funnily enough.

Jones would cause a lot of problems for Fedor with his reach and high fighter IQ.

It would be a great fight and honestly if they fought 10 times they might go 6-4 or 5-5.

Back