Prime Fedor vs Prime Stipe

Fedor was still very good coming to the Werdum fight, how did that turn out? Stipe faced fighters with more power, speed and better wrestling than Fedor. Not to mention the size difference that can play a factor in this fight.
Was still very good? What are you talking about. Past prime is different than was still very good. And you are doing MMA mathematics. Which is proven it doesn't work. (your stupid theory: Fedor<Werdum<Stipe) Doesn't work that way, we had so sily champions if that would work. UFC MMA is just overrated in general now. Pride was always better.

Fedor, great grappler?? Fedor was pure judo/sambo grappler. Do you see anyone today who doesnt do BJJ and is great grappler? Fedor in his great judo grappling skill let 150kg BigFootSilva into full mount so he can reverse him :D
In a career that spanned over 40 fights, he won 15 via submission. Fedor himself was only submitted once, and that was by a guy who's one of the most decorated heavyweight grapplers ever. I'd say that makes him a much better grappler on paper than DC.

As for the Bigfoot example you mention, yes, Fedor was mounted and pounded out. Bigfoot was a very good heavyweight back then, so there's no shame in that loss.

Fedor around 2003-2004 was the most dominant heavyweight that we've ever seen....period. He was VERY fast, not just for a heavyweight, just fast. He was very strong and was dangerous in every aspect of the game. He could stand with the best strikers in the division and grapple with the best grapplers in the division. To say that he would easily be the favorite against any modern heavyweight is not an exaggeration. I would put prime fedor up against just about any mma fighter in history and I would put money on him, plain and simple.

Let's put it this way....

If a gun were to the head of all of these Sherdoggers with their life riding on the outcome, I guarantee you the polls are going to show Prime Fedor with a resounding 98% approval rating.
Stipe by TKO.

There was a time when Fedor looked better than any HW I've ever seen by a margin. That was also in a different country with different regulations in a less developed version of the sport. If any version of Stipe had stepped into the ring with Fedor during his tear in Japan, I don't think he's going to come out the winner.

That said, I could easily see Stipe beating Strikeforce Fedor.

Fedor could win this because Stipe is a smallish HW and is weak chinned. But overall I expect the more athletic Stipe to try abd decision Fedor but then being submitted if it hits the floor

Fedor dominated his era . But I would go Stipe here

lel

Ogawa did better than Stipe would do.
stipe is a nightmare stylistic match up for him. stipe is a nightmare for almost every heavyweight ever stylistically, very few guys have the tools to be a bad match up for stipe.

stipe controls where a fight with fedor takes place, wouldnt be subbed even if fedor somehow did get him down and is a much more technical, larger and longer striker with great footwork. bad mix for fedor.

Fedor was an overrated can crusher. Go look at his record if you don't believe me. He has wins over guys who are barely better than CM punk.

In todays ufc fedor would be lucky to crack the top 10

Easy win for Stipe. Fedor didn't fight a single well rounded opponent in his prime and got destroyed by middleweights when he came to the US with doping restrictions. There is no way Stipe would lose to any MW no matter how much he's out of his prime.

People saying Fedor would win are either MMA hipsters or nostalgic old farts.

In a career that spanned over 40 fights, he won 15 via submission. Fedor himself was only submitted once, and that was by a guy who's one of the most decorated heavyweight grapplers ever.
In his prime, Fedor fought exactly one fighter with a high level grappling game, and that fighter was a non-existent threat on the feet (Minotauro). Fedor was two dimensional in a time and place of one dimensional fighters and neglected defensive skills. That's a huge advantage, and Fedor took that advantage in full. That doesn't mean prime Fedor would have much of a chance of submitting any of today's top heavyweights.

Comparing MMA today to MMA in Fedor's prime is like comparing baseball today to baseball in Babe Ruth's time; that's how much MMA has advanced. Babe Ruth in his prime never faced a slider,cut fastball, or a 95 MPH fastball, and he would get nowhere near a roster spot on any MLB team today. So go ahead and call Fedor the GOAT; just don't fool yourself into believing that prime Fedor could compete at a high level in today's MMA world.

It's hard to bet against prime Fedor, he went undefeated from 2002-2010! He fought all the best at that time, many all time greats. However, Stipe's prime is right now when most fighters have more skills then they did 5-7 years ago. Stipe has great takedown defense, good wrestling, has fast hands, throws accurate punches in combinations, and hits hard. I will take prime Miocic in a great fight!

stipe is a nightmare stylistic match up for him. stipe is a nightmare for almost every heavyweight ever stylistically, very few guys have the tools to be a bad match up for stipe.

stipe controls where a fight with fedor takes place, wouldnt be subbed even if fedor somehow did get him down and is a much more technical, larger and longer striker with great footwork. bad mix for fedor.
That's all true but I still wouldn't bet against Fedor in that fight.

I think it depends. Like you said, Fedor is a high level judoka and sambo practitioner. You asked “ Do you see anyone today who doesn’t do BJJ and is a great grappler?”
How about:
Khabib
Islam Makachev
Every other fighter from Dagestan

I’m sure they train *some* BJJ, but that’s not where their skill comes from. They’re sambo fighters. During the Khabib-Barboza fight, Joe Rogan praised Khabib’s “next level ground and pound” when all he was doing was the same thing Fedor did to Herring and Nog 18 years ago. Sambo is clearly pretty effective in MMA even today. As for mount, remember that Bigfoot also outweighed Fedor by 45 lbs or so. Against Chael, even an old, injured, shopworn Fedor baited him into mount and then swept him.

What about the other fighter’s prime? Arlovski in particular was pretty well past it by the time Stipe fought him.
And if we’re going to blast Fedor’s poor fight IQ against Werdum, shouldn’t we blast Werdum’s poor fight IQ against Stipe?
No because we’re not comparing Werdum to Stipe or Fedor. We’re comparing Fedor to Stipe.

Stipe probably fought a better version of Hunt as Hunt was very green in terms of MMA when he fought Fedor.

Arlovski has been .5 fighter his whole career and went on a 4 fight losing streak starting with Fedor fight, which included a loss to Big Foot. He fought Stipe on most successful stretch of his career going 10-1 in his last 11 fights including a win over Big Foot. You could easily argue Arlovski was better against Stipe, than against Fedor.

I think it depends. Like you said, Fedor is a high level judoka and sambo practitioner. You asked “ Do you see anyone today who doesn’t do BJJ and is a great grappler?”
How about:
Khabib
Islam Makachev
Every other fighter from Dagestan

I’m sure they train *some* BJJ, but that’s not where their skill comes from. They’re sambo fighters. During the Khabib-Barboza fight, Joe Rogan praised Khabib’s “next level ground and pound” when all he was doing was the same thing Fedor did to Herring and Nog 18 years ago. Sambo is clearly pretty effective in MMA even today. As for mount, remember that Bigfoot also outweighed Fedor by 45 lbs or so. Against Chael, even an old, injured, shopworn Fedor baited him into mount and then swept him.

What about the other fighter’s prime? Arlovski in particular was pretty well past it by the time Stipe fought him.
And if we’re going to blast Fedor’s poor fight IQ against Werdum, shouldn’t we blast Werdum’s poor fight IQ against Stipe?

I know it is not correct but i dont like to call sambo a martial art. I doesnt describe anything. I mean Ben Askren and Conor McGregor are both MMA martial artists :D You get what i am implying. Sambo is MMA/MMAish. They bring different things to sambo/MMA.

Fedor is judoka, Khabib is wrestler and there is a difference in how they fight. I mean Khabib praises judo and sambo, and he uses some moves sometimes, but he wrestles ppl down. You can even see as time passes how he went from Askren style to Maia style on ground. He invested a lot into his BJJ. There is a reason he went to AKA and not stayed in Russia and Dagestan.

I look at segments of fight and techniques, not how fights end. Fedor never invested in wrestling. Problem is wrestling is by far best way for TDD and TD against more rounded opponents.
Imagine me pushing you with both hands back and grabbing you and trying to push you sideways across my leg. What is easier? (get my point on some difference between wrestling and judo) Not investing in wrestling made his TD success much harder especially against heavier opponents. From same position Fedor had Silva in, Cain, Stipe or DC TD Silva no problem.

And again it is not about his loss against Silva. It is about his technique to let everyone into full mount. He did that from first day in MMA. It was his go to move. I am not talking how he reversed Hunt or Sonnen, i am talking if you want to go for HW belt you cant let Stipe, DC, Cain or Blaydes full mount you. I dont think you can let Francis or Lewis full mount you anymore.

I remembered you said he became sloppy boxer and i heard Jack Slack talk same. I generally agree in most things with Jack, but i dont agree Fedor became sloppy boxer.

Fedor was always sloppy boxer (he liked to unbalance himself and his footwork was all over the place), but he had lighting fast hands and it worked wonders with his judo TD and his top sub game. As time passed competition got more rounded and his judoTD became ineffective so all he had left was his sloppy boxing which was even more pronounced as his speed dropped. His greatness at start never exposed holes in his game and he payed for it latter.

You can even compare mistakes he does against Arona early into career, he does it all over again in Strikeforce.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stipe-Werdum// Werdum knows why he did it, it wasnt great move in retrospect but he knows why he was so desperate to get that clinch game started. Its easy to say low IQ move but when you get pieced at distance, sometimes best thing you can do is bumrush and hope for the best.

But sports, including MMA, do change, most notably in training methods, where MMA has evolved exponentially over the years since Fedor's prime. Even without considering the freely flowing juice in Pride, top 15 fighters today are stronger, quicker, more well rounded, and have better cardio than champions in Pride ever had.

If Fedor's the GOAT it's because of how much better he was than other fighters fighting during his prime and how long his prime was, and that's a fine way to argue for the GOAT. But if prime Fedor showed up at a 16 man tournament with the top 15 heavyweights in the world today, he'd be the #16 seed.

Right, but then you get into the debate of what he would've been like had he just started with current MMA training being what it is. You can't teach ring IQ.... You either have it or you don't. And with that comes the ability to learn and become a champion. Do you think if Floyd Mayweather was born 20 years later or earlier that he would've developed into an inferior of a boxer just because the current methods of training are different? It's an aptitude thing... Ali was basically an idiot child out of the ring. His IQ was on level with like Forest Gump... But his fight IQ, and his ability to learn and move inside the ring is something that would transcend what era he learned/trained in.

Back