1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Primo Carnera would have beaten Ngannou in a standup fight

Discussion in 'Fantasy Matchup Discussion' started by pankrat, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Ultra O’Dia Black Belt

true. way better at taking a loss, though.

2. Paolo Delutis Yellow Card Yellow Card

So a drug... known to build the body's muscles wouldnt be used for military uses?...cuz that wouldn't be important... especially in the country that invented such drug

But US weight lifters found it to be....got it...

Also i wasn't even really referencing the army or nazi in my original post...was mostly saying how the Germans invented steroids.... nothing uve said or shown differs from my point that steroids came from germans

Ultra O’Dia likes this.
  3. Ultra O’Dia Black Belt

uhhhh, Joe Louis was...... kinda good, though.

Paolo Delutis likes this.
  4. pankrat Black Belt

Sharkey was an "up-and-down" fighter who lacked consistency. I dont know if he stepped into the ring in top shape or literally drunk but I do believe it was a legit KO, that it wasnt fixed.

There is a bit of a myth around such perception about Primo. Yeah, he wasnt a very talented pugilist, boxing wasnt natural for him, but he also shut lot of mouths eventually.

At the end of the day, he was tremendous physical specimen (not just size and strenght, but he was also surprisingly flexible and mobile for such a large body with outstanding endurance), who worked his ass off, was very well-coached and fought to his strenghts (jab-clinh), and by his prime had lot of experience in pro fights. So he was never the best but I'd say he got to be an elite HW at some point.

Hard to tell if he would be able to handle Ngannou in a standup fight. Too many factors to consider but yeah, I do think Francis would have trouble getting past Primo's jab and while I dont expect Carnera to control Francis in the clinch as he did to 200lbers back in the day, not the other way around neither.

I dont know how many fixed fights Primo had early in his career or even in his run to the tittle, but fought many top HWs of his time in legit fights. Even if he was favoured by the judges vs top contenders like Godfrey, Loughran or Uzcudun, the fact he gave those guys a contested match proves that he wasnt just a circus freak imo, but a legitimate HW who had some clue about how to take advantage of his freak physique in the ring.

5. X Factor Purple Belt

My point was he’s big but that doesn’t mean anything because someone much smaller beat him up. I know who Joe Louis is. He’s probably my all time favorite boxer

6. pankrat Black Belt

Yeah well that's probably because you only know Carnera as one of the dudes Joe dispatched, but if you actually know who Joe Louis was that doesnt tell much in the comparison with Francis.

Carnera did also fight and beat big men, about as big if not bigger than Jones, Fedor or Cormier, with superior boxing skill and experience.

7. X Factor Purple Belt

And where are the examples of that in the OP? You clearly stated his size/heart/conditioning as reasons he would beat Francis in a stand up fight

8. Kforcer Dragon Slayer

I think Carnera was a beast, way underrated by people, including contemporary journalists. Joe Louis is just Joe Louis. Apparently Godfrey was dominant over Carnera before hitting him low, though. At least, that's what some reports said. I'm interested in re-watching the bout now.

pankrat likes this.
  9. Ultra O’Dia Black Belt

if you follow that logic, then size means nothing in any fight because Joe Louis would beat damned near anyone ever.
    I dont have a pick in Carnera vs Ngannou, btw, but his size does matter. Its literally the best thing he had going for him, and it would remove one of Ngannou’s biggest advantages over most opponents - HIS size. (actually, at this point id lean towards Ngannou, honestly. too fast and powerful)

But, losing to Joe Louis doesnt mean that any of your attributes are useless - whether its speed, skill, chin, whatever - it just means you lost to Joe Louis, who would find and did find a way to beat just about any type of boxer.

pankrat likes this.
  10. pankrat Black Belt

I dont think Joe Louis would beat any boxer ever, but I definitely favour him vs any MMA fighter ever in a boxing ring

11. Choco I can quit any day..

Baer dropped him 12 times. The Uzcudun decision in Italy was high robbery and Uzcudun was 5' 10".

Many of his fights were blatant or suspected fixes.

12. pankrat Black Belt

Took the best punches of one of the best HW punchers at the time, dropped 12 times, and still outboxed Baer for some rounds after. Let's tell the whole story, not just a meme.

Neither of the Uzcudun was a high robbery even if Paulino has a case for the W in both, if only for pushing the fight. Barely managed to get through Carnera's jab/clinch deffensive approach.

Uzcudun was 5'10" but also a handful for any boxer of his time, until Joe Louis emerged.