Randy vs Fedor

All I have to do is remember the beating from pillar to post he put on Timmeh Sylvia to know Randy was a great strategist and fought with high IQ.

I'm not sure you can overrate high fight IQ anyway. Either you have it or you don't. In my opinion, Randy found different ways to win depending on the opponent, which is the epitome of a high IQ fighter.

Timmeh was slow as molasses and couldn't really wrestle.

I've said here many times, I think the Randy that turned up to the Gonzaga fight beats any heavyweight of that time.

I'd love to have seen that version of Randy fight Fedor and Cro Cop

Again, Gonzaga wasn't exactly a speed demon, and he couldn't really wrestle. Randy beat him, but still got his arm broken that fight. Need I remind you what Werdum did to Gonzaga-- TWICE??

I would have loved to have seen this fight back in the day. I think Randy would have a great game plan and be a tough, gritty opponent but Fedor just be too much for him. Would’ve been great tho.
TBH, I don't think it would be close.
Fedor at that time would beat Randy up... and I am a huge Randy fan!
But it would have been a Great fight! (the biggest I can think of at the time)

Fucking Dana!!!!

Fedors KO power would be the only thing he has on Randy, without the KO power, Randy has advantages everywhere.

Dirty boxing & clinch against the cage?
That is what he was known for, but rewatch the first Chuck fight and Timmuh fight. He also different strategies to get them to the cage.

The Werdum fight was really more latter Fedor being far more wreckless grappling wise but I don't think Randy would have been able to exploit that nearly as easily, espeically as if they'd fought it would have been a bit earlier.

Nog was I think actually more declined than Randy when they fought dispite being younger but I think he still showed the big problem Randy would have here, there was not really a "safe" way to fight Fedor plus cardio wise he would not have had the weakness Gonzaga did.

The guys who punished latter Fedor did it via posing a threat to him, not to game planning and slowly suffocating him.
You don't think Werdum was trying to bait him in knowing he was reckless? Or was that strategy employed by Werdum after the success he had with Fedor?

And the people who "punished later Fedor" was only a threat because of his dimensioned chin. I think any of those fight would have went the same in 2005. On the other hand, Fedor demonstrated against Fujita that he could be caught. Against a striker, he would have lost if he was on the ice skates that bad. Then again, he might not have been caught by striking since he would be expecting it.

Good points though, even if I do think that in 2004-2005 Randy might have been the only person who could have competed against Fedor (even in a loss, it would have been competitive. I could not disagree more with those that think he would be knocked out in seconds).

You don't think Werdum was trying to bait him in knowing he was reckless? Or was that strategy employed by Werdum after the success he had with Fedor?

And the people who "punished later Fedor" was only a threat because of his dimensioned chin. I think any of those fight would have went the same in 2005. On the other hand, Fedor demonstrated against Fujita that he could be caught. Against a striker, he would have lost if he was on the ice skates that bad. Then again, he might not have been caught by striking since he would be expecting it.

Good points though, even if I do think that in 2004-2005 Randy might have been the only person who could have competed against Fedor (even in a loss, it would have been competitive. I could not disagree more with those that think he would be knocked out in seconds).

Hard to say whether he was trying to bait him or not but Nog did pretty much the same thing in their first match, got caught with a punch and dropped back to guard but the way Fedor responded to that was vastly different. In 2003 he realised Nog was still a live threat and built position only unloading with GnP when Nog gave him some space with a butterfly guard, when Nog used a high guard in the 2nd and 3rd fights Fedor did not go crazy with GnP due to the risk of a triangle.

I'v no idea what a "one dimensional chin" is but post comeback Fedor getting hurt standing I think actually shows you that his prime years he was not the "brawler" the more uneducated make him out to be. Fujita basically caught him with a blind punch when Fedor wasnt showing a guy who previous had shown little power much respect ala GSP/Serra 1, thats very different to Mitrone, etc catching him on the way in with counters which became possible as his timing and speed declined, unless you think Mitrone throws a better straight counter than Crocop.

I think against 04-05 Fedor Randy would have had very little chance indeed personally, in a cage he might have been able to work the clinch against it a bit and maybe worked a cut stoppage or something but that Fedor was just way too dangerous everywhere IMHO, not someone it was easy to gameplan at all. I think Arlovski was actually a much more dangerous fight for Fedor than Randy was, both had questionable chins but Andrei had speed/power.

Last edited:
Hard to say whether he was trying to bait him or not but Nog did pretty much the same thing in their first match, got caught with a punch and dropped back to guard but the way Fedor responded to that was vastly different. In 2003 he realised Nog was still a live threat and built position only unloading with GnP when Nog gave him some space with a butterfly guard, when Nog used a high guard in the 2nd and 3rd fights Fedor did not go crazy with GnP due to the risk of a triangle.

I'v no idea what a "one dimensional chin" is but post comeback Fedor getting hurt standing I think actually shows you that his prime years he was not the "brawler" the more uneducated make him out to be. Fujita basically caught him with a blind punch when Fedor wasnt showing a guy who previous had shown little power much respect ala GSP/Serra 1, thats very different to Mitrone, etc catching him on the way in with counters which became possible as his timing and speed declined, unless you think Mitrone throws a better straight counter than Crocop.

I think against 04-05 Fedor Randy would have had very little chance indeed personally, in a cage he might have been able to work the clinch against it a bit and maybe worked a cut stoppage or something but that Fedor was just way too dangerous everywhere IMHO, not someone it was easy to gameplan at all. I think Arlovski was actually a much more dangerous fight for Fedor than Randy was, both had questionable chins but Andrei had speed/power.

Great points. It was supposed to be a diminished chin. Speaking of Fedor, do you remember when he first went to PRIDE and many thought he would not know how to throw a punch? Crazy times back then my friend. Cheers!

Great points. It was supposed to be a diminished chin. Speaking of Fedor, do you remember when he first went to PRIDE and many thought he would not know how to throw a punch? Crazy times back then my friend. Cheers!

Whilst his chin did drop off by the end I think a bigger issue is that he simply wasnt getting hit much during his prime. I think thats probably the most impressive thing about his prime run, Fujita was the only person to really land a plum shot on him and again I think that was partly down to Fedor underestimating him and a bit of luck. He tended to figth to the level of his opponents who would go after those he considered to have less threat standing, I think the same with Mark Hunt in terms of grappling.

Whilst his chin did drop off by the end I think a bigger issue is that he simply wasnt getting hit much during his prime. I think thats probably the most impressive thing about his prime run, Fujita was the only person to really land a plum shot on him and again I think that was partly down to Fedor underestimating him and a bit of luck. He tended to figth to the level of his opponents who would go after those he considered to have less threat standing, I think the same with Mark Hunt in terms of grappling.
I think you are dead on about him fighting to the level of his competition, he clearly underestimate Fujita in the standup and Hunt with the submission attempt. I also think that is why some newbies underestimate his abilities. They see the fall from grace and bad highlights. They don't watch the entire Semmy fight for example, where he made a grown ass man literally cry for his life in the midst of a vicious gnp.

All I have to do is remember the beating from pillar to post he put on Timmeh Sylvia to know Randy was a great strategist and fought with high IQ.

I'm not sure you can overrate high fight IQ anyway. Either you have it or you don't. In my opinion, Randy found different ways to win depending on the opponent, which is the epitome of a high IQ fighter.

Slyvia had to have back surgery right after the Couture fight. That says everything.

Well then where else does he have an advantage?

Fedor is better in the clinch, better at subs, better gnp, cardio, striking defense, Randy is at a disadvantage everywhere but pure rasslin'.

Fedor obliterated Randy, easy. Easy.

Back