Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

Yeah I really like the revenant. You might like the edge. Its like the revenant with a mix of a little insomnia with that 90s adventure feel. It has psychological thriller aspects as well as the monster aspect.

Revenant has a lot a lot going for it. DiCaprio and Hardy were great in my opinion. But then when you have the technical mastery of Irranitu and El Chivo combined with that acting, you really have something awesome to watch. I feel people who criticized it were more critical of the plot or the narrative than anything else. I don't see how one could criticize it from a visceral experience perspective. Really impressive.

That scene where Hardy is like- if you don't want me to mercy kill you, don't blink and is just staring him down, waiting for him to blink, gives me the creeps lol. Really messed up.

Ice Road with Liam Neeson on Netflix

It's like a 6/10

As with several Netflix original films I've seen (not all mind you, there are some real quality ones), it felt like a paint-by-numbers thriller. Really good production values, good actors, and yet it just felt like your run-of-the-mill 90s thriller. Neeson's still got awesome screen presence, but, at this stage, he could sleep walk his way through this type of role. It's tailor-made for him. I would like to see him do different types of genres.

Anyway, cool setting and some solid setpieces, but it never really came together for me. Still not bad for an 1 hr. 45 if you are a fan of Neeson's stuff.

Revenant has a lot a lot going for it. DiCaprio and Hardy were great in my opinion. But then when you have the technical mastery of Irranitu and El Chivo combined with that acting, you really have something awesome to watch. I feel people who criticized it were more critical of the plot or the narrative than anything else. I don't see how one could criticize it from a visceral experience perspective. Really impressive.

That scene where Hardy is like- if you don't want me to mercy kill you, don't blink and is just staring him down, waiting for him to blink, gives me the creeps lol. Really messed up.

I never had a problem with the revenants plot. Not everything has to be super twisty or metaphorically ambiguous with some hidden message or a jacking off scene.

And I just turned on the master to watch and right away theres a jacking off scene like this is what I'm talking about

"Happy Death Day" - 3/10. Basically a lazy mash-up of "Groundhog Day" and "Scream", where you see the plot twists from a mile away, and the only two non-white people are repeatedly made to be objects of ridicule (a dorky sexless asian guy and a black woman mocked for her weight). Don't waste your time.

Just watched Jarhead, the 2005 movie based on a marine's story from the Gulf War. Its hilarious and despite not taking itself seriously its impressive and well directed by Sam Mendes. I've always wondered why it was a box office bomb. I dig it.

The Ruins- 7/10
Had this on dvd for just over 10 years now and finally got around to watching it. Nice to see a horror movie with such a sunny tropical setting be so dark and hopeless. Really liked it overall but didn't care for the ending, though I'm not sure if the what I watched was the original or alternate ending.

Sorority Row- 2.5/10
Had no memory of this when it was originally released and for good reason. The worst kind of slasher movie. Unoriginal story, dumb and unlikeable characters and just in general not interesting at all.

Freaky- 7
High school girl body swaps with a serial killer (Vince Vaughn). Love the premise and have come to really like Vince Vaughn, who I thought was great in this. Really good mix of horror and comedy/teen drama stuff while not becoming a teen horror movie.

Vicious Fun- 6/10
Newest Shudder original about a guy who accidentally does to a support group for serial killers. The first half I absolutely loved but then it kinda drops off and starts to feel like a standard low budget "80's vibe" horror movie before picking up a little at the end.

I ran through a bunch the last week. So I'm doing them in quick review format.

Source code - 8.5/10
Fun time loop groundhogs day movie. Pretty compact and fast paced. Maybe forces the love story a bit. Still think edge of tomorrow is the best GHD clone.

Swallow - 7/10
Really not bad. Wasnt expecting much but it's a fine little psyche thriller and has some disturbing parts.

The master - 6/10
Wanted to like it but it literally did nothing for me besides watching the acting of Phoenix and Hoffman. Felt more like a series of scenes than a story. Not as bad as phantom thread.

Contact - 7.5/10
Fun epic 90s movie. Theres a few cheesey predictable moments and its a little too long, but it's very good escapism.

Memories of murder - 9/10
BJH knocks it out of the park again. Not only is it a riveting murder mystery, its hilariously funny and tightly written. It's also shot like an 80s film, which I enjoyed

Searching 9/10
Fucking loved it. Wasnt expecting more than a good thriller with a shot on a computer gimmick but it's more. Twists, turns, shocking moments. Everything you could want in this type of film, with the right amount of cheese.

3 billboards - 8/10
Good acting and some funny moments. I dont think its mcdonaghs best...that's still in bruges imo...but I had fun with this movie and its cast. Sam Rockwell steals it.

I ran through a bunch the last week. So I'm doing them in quick review format.

Source code - 8.5/10
Fun time loop groundhogs day movie. Pretty compact and fast paced. Maybe forces the love story a bit. Still think edge of tomorrow is the best GHD clone.

Swallow - 7/10
Really not bad. Wasnt expecting much but it's a fine little psyche thriller and has some disturbing parts.

The master - 6/10
Wanted to like it but it literally did nothing for me besides watching the acting of Phoenix and Hoffman. Felt more like a series of scenes than a story. Not as bad as phantom thread.

Contact - 7.5/10
Fun epic 90s movie. Theres a few cheesey predictable moments and its a little too long, but it's very good escapism.

Memories of murder - 9/10
BJH knocks it out of the park again. Not only is it a riveting murder mystery, its hilariously funny and tightly written. It's also shot like an 80s film, which I enjoyed

Searching 9/10
Fucking loved it. Wasnt expecting more than a good thriller with a shot on a computer gimmick but it's more. Twists, turns, shocking moments. Everything you could want in this type of film, with the right amount of cheese.

3 billboards - 8/10
Good acting and some funny moments. I dont think its mcdonaghs best...that's still in bruges imo...but I had fun with this movie and its cast. Sam Rockwell steals it.
Ya I liked searching alot too

I just watched Mandy starring Nicolas Cage. It started off slow but picked up about 30 minutes or so in.. Pretty good movie. I like how he kinda becomes a warrior on a journey for revenge. He forges his own mythical axe and hunts down the cult. I give it 7 out of 10 stars.

Baggio: The Divine Ponytail

Netflix

5/10

At first glance I thought it was a documentary, that was going to feature loads of old footage + interviews, but its actually a dramatisation of his story. Its dubbed (quite hilariously) in English and at first i was like <WhatIsThis>,
but by the end,<mma4>.

He was my first footballing hero (i went to bed in tears when he missed that penalty :() and this is not a bad look at his footballing life.

the town 8/10
don't know how I avoided this for so long. I am not a big fan of Affleck or Renner but they weregreat . I also dug the Charlestown setting without an excessive dropping of "cahwpps".
live by night
I was led to his from he town. I wore 30's era gangster more so I had high hopes despite the reviews.
the first part plays a lot like a mini town remake. but, I enjoyed it for the most part. the gang are stuff in Florida was good in parts the best was the stuff with JD the KKK guy and seeing them get taken apart.
the deaths for the most part were quite lackluster compared to the town which had some beautifully violent stuff. vs this flick which was usually just a couple shots and then that was it. the big two kills at he end were unsatisfying IMO
decent flick don't regret watching it prolly won't watch it again and forget the details soon
6/10

All day and a night

Netflix

8/10

Young man in Oakland recounts the events in his life and how they led him to be jailed for the murder we see him commit in the opening scene of the film. Really enjoyed this -had me captivated all the way.

Small Town Crime.
Excellent. Simple. Low budget.
Robert Forster, Clif Collins, and John Hawkes.

Back