Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

Gunpowder Milkshake 2021 1080p

dont bother
100 pound chicks kicking 200 pound mens asses. and most of the men have guns. all girl power woke fest.

John Wick 3

Don't get me wrong, it's entertaining. However, the universe itself is getting a little stale in being little more than an excuse to set up a bunch of action scenes. I liked the first two movies expanding on this bizarre world of assassins, but this one felt a little forced.

Good creative action sequences, though. If that's all you care about, it delivers. I just can't picture two more movies without it getting WAY too long in the tooth in terms of it's storytelling. That said, I'll still watch them, so it's not like my complaints overshadow its money shot.

7/10

John Wick 3

Don't get me wrong, it's entertaining. However, the universe itself is getting a little stale in being little more than an excuse to set up a bunch of action scenes. I liked the first two movies expanding on this bizarre world of assassins, but this one felt a little forced.

Good creative action sequences, though. If that's all you care about, it delivers. I just can't picture two more movies without it getting WAY too long in the tooth in terms of it's storytelling. That said, I'll still watch them, so it's not like my complaints overshadow its money shot.

7/10
The ending was kinda weird, action still great. Will still watch

The ending was kinda weird, action still great. Will still watch

I wouldn't say "weird", but a little...arrogant, I guess. It was way too on the nose for setting up another sequel, and left little to the imagination in terms of knowing what direction it's gonna take. I expect that kind of "tune in next time!" approach from a TV series, but not a movie series where you're gonna wait years to get the payoff, unless it's a planned trilogy like LOTR where you go in knowing the ending is a ways off. Leaves you feeling a little cheated. But hey, it's one of very few balls to wall gritty, hard R-rated action franchises out there, so I'll give it a pass.

Midsommer

I think this was the "cult" flick that finally shed the skin of it's influences, and managed to create something unsettling and unique, without having to reference how much it reminds you of "The Wicker Man", or being in the spirit of the "Jonestown" tragedy. So many movies of this ilk try and fail to truly branch out from what they're influenced by, and are simply carbon copies of what came before, whether it be fiction or reality. This one grabbed me from beginning to end, and I think I have to attribute it to the moody offbeat soundtrack that always manages to turn bright sunny scenes into fucked up acid trips, and the strong direction.

I'm gonna have to watch this a few more times before I can really dive into it, but as a first time viewer, it demanded and fully grabbed my attention. One of the better recent movies I've seen in a long time.

Gotta say though...Hollywood, we have 4K TV's now. Work on your fake beards. Shit looks like high school drama class.

9/10

Wick trilogy is impressive in that all three movies are good in my opinion. More than I can say about Keanu’s other famous trilogy. One could argue 2 and 3 don’t quite live up to the first, but I’d say they are both really solid as far as action sequels of that type go.

Risky Business - 9/10 (bumped it up from an 8, which is were I had it in my recollection)

Old fart alert: No, they don’t make them like this anymore. Such an awesome movie. Very few have ever navigated being funny and sexy better than this (the ‘love on areal train’ scene is exceptional). Tom Cruise was great, especially in the third act. Rebecca DeMornay was not only drop dead gorgeous but really fun in her role. She should’ve had a better career. Forgot that Booger from Revenge of the Nerds was in this. He was funny. Joe Pantoliano (I probably butchered it) was terrific too. Overall great film. And Tangerine Dreams soundtrack is spectacular.

Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard

5/10

It had a few moments but in the end I fell asleep watching it, and I very rarely just fall asleep.

Wick trilogy is impressive in that all three movies are good in my opinion. More than I can say about Keanu’s other famous trilogy. One could argue 2 and 3 don’t quite live up to the first, but I’d say they are both really solid as far as action sequels of that type go.

Personally, I thought JW2 was an appropriate upgrade from JW., as it expanded on the universe and felt appropriately bigger and better. The problem I had with JW3(which wasn't a big problem to be clear), is that it didn't really do much to up the ante, and felt a little samey to JW2. In JW2, you get a little more in depth with the network of assassins, and a side group goes after him. In JW3, it's pretty much the same deal, only it's the entire network...minus some sympathizers helping him out when it's convenient to the plot. The formula didn't evolve much, and was just an excuse to put Wick in some action scenes. I also think the series is missing a key antagonist. He had one in the original, and even the sequel to a lesser extent. In JW3, he's just fighting against the odds that some shadowy organization has put against him.

Personally, I thought JW2 was an appropriate upgrade from JW., as it expanded on the universe and felt appropriately bigger and better. The problem I had with JW3(which wasn't a big problem to be clear), is that it didn't really do much to up the ante, and felt a little samey to JW2. In JW2, you get a little more in depth with the network of assassins, and a side group goes after him. In JW3, it's pretty much the same deal, only it's the entire network...minus some sympathizers helping him out when it's convenient to the plot. The formula didn't evolve much, and was just an excuse to put Wick in some action scenes. I also think the series is missing a key antagonist. He had one in the original, and even the sequel to a lesser extent. In JW3, he's just fighting against the odds that some shadowy organization has put against him.

Excellent points. I really liked the villain and storyline in the second one honestly. Don’t get me wrong, in the first, the guy from original Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (RIP) was a solid villain and Alfie just oozed detestability so good on him, but I felt that storyline was pretty straightforward and we’ve seen it before.

Villain- mob boss has an ultra competent underling and a screw up of a son. Screw up of a son crosses the ultra competent underling but the boss sides with the son.

Very similar thing goes down in Road to Perdition with Newman, Hanks and Daniel Craig and in Eastern Promises with Armin Mueller Stahl, Viggo, and Vincent Cassel.

But what stood out with Wick was the awesome world building and the very well executed action setpieces.

Wick 2 expands the world building as you said, but I also just really liked the notion of fleshing out that story of how John pulled off that impossible walk-away job and the idea that he now has to pay the Piper cause Santino cashes in his marker.

Really solid setup for the betrayal and the action.

Yea I was hoping common would come back tbh

The Tomorrow War - 0/6

Terrible dialogue. Terrible acting. Worst form of time travel. Mediocre action. No redeeming qualities.

The Peanut Butter Falcon

Netflix

8/10

Zak, a young man with Down's Syndrome, runs away from his care home and falls into the company of a local ne'er-do-well also running from dudes he has an issue with. They soon form a friendship and set out on a journey to Florida to fulfil Zak's dream of becoming a professional wrestler. Class film; really enjoyed this. Both Shia leBeouf and Zach Gottsagen are excellent in the lead roles, and there are cameo small roles for a couple of wwf legends.

2006 The Guardian

7.5/10 i cant rate it more cause Kutcher is not a good actor at all, he was alright in this movie, still tho.
Love the movie, allways have. No matter the numerous times ive watched it, i still cant understand why Randall´s wife, who loved but wanted him to quit Coast Guard, just lets him go when he tells that he´s finally quit. She just letted him go, if not, it would probably saved him. I simply can not understand that decision ...
Him saying goodbye to his wife its at the top of every movie scenes ive ever watched.

Babylon

Netflix

[9/10]

This is older film from 1980 that id never heard of but would consider a classic of British film. It follows a group of young friends, 1st/2nd generation immigrants from Jamaica as they prepare for a soundclash event, amidst a backdrop of Thatcher's inner-city London, replete with its deprivation, unemployment and rampant racism. Fascinating reminder of that time; Thatcher's Britain sure was grim. The musical score is amazing and the movie really gives you a feel of the excitement of a reggae soundclash.

Back