Reminder: Hill got outboxed by Thiago Santos

Santos is in one the few guys I truly feel sorry for. Really turned into a contender and as soon as he got his shot he blew out both his knees in the same fight and it's been a shell of his former self ever since.

What in the blue fuck does getting KOed by Izzy have to do with fighting a wrestler?
i can't see someone that loses to izzy ever standing a chance against the GOAT LHW....poatan's accomplishments are way too fucking narrow to be making comparisons to jones, who has plowed through generations of fighters for god damn near 15 yrs.

The Alex Pereira haters (salty Izzy fans) are in full force recently and have latched onto Jamahal Hill as their next savior from Alex’s great success.

As a reminder, here’s Hill getting outboxed by old man Thiago Santos until he gassed:

My guy.

You literally highlighted why Hill is gonna beat Alex.

Alex gets wobbled & flatlined when he eats those types of shots. Hill is durable AF.

I have seen mostly folks downplaying Hill's chances, but I guess everyone's anecdotal observations are going to be different. I'm just stoked that the fight is gonna happen as I believe it's going to be a very exciting and technical fight; I'm thinking folks will be surprised at how fun this fight will be.

No, Hill is also very durable...Pereira seems not to be. I am a big fan of Alex but this is a 50/50 fight imo. I can honestly see Hill losing handily until he lands a big shot that gets him the W.

Saw someone say the other day that Poatan could beat fucking Jon Jones.....

He would look better against him than Cyril Gane did that's for sure.

No, Hill is also very durable...Pereira seems not to be. I am a big fan of Alex but this is a 50/50 fight imo. I can honestly see Hill losing handily until he lands a big shot that gets him the W.
My guy.

You literally highlighted why Hill is gonna beat Alex.

Alex gets wobbled & flatlined when he eats those types of shots. Hill is durable AF.

Once again, the most pervasive myths spread on Sherdog is the guy that was knocked out a single time in 50+ fights across two sports, two divisions, and four belts fighting the greatest strikers on the planet somehow doesn't have a chin.

Last edited:
i still give him a 1/100 chance. jones was atleast able to prove himself to beat some top class strikers: rampage, machida, and ciryl gane (being especially tall maybe not lanky). also, poatan has 5 noteworthy wins in mma overall. just based on that, it seems unhinged to say he stands a genuine chance against a prime jones.

it seems like poatan fans are the 2024 version of khabib fans.
I agree with you generally, But when you look at what jones has a problem with like santos, Gus, and reyes, they are all big tall strikers that use length. That's all im trying to say. I dont mean to say he'd win certainly but he does have strengths where jones has weakness.

For what it's worth, I actually think Alex could beat all 3 of those fighters. But that's not the discussion.

i can't see someone that loses to izzy ever standing a chance against the GOAT LHW....poatan's accomplishments are way too fucking narrow to be making comparisons to jones, who has plowed through generations of fighters for god damn near 15 yrs.
Ryan Spann knocked out Reyes with a jab, and Reyes beat Jones for 3 rounds.

This is also completely ignoring the whole 'styles make fights' thing that defines this sport. The guy who is going to succeed against one of the best strikers in the world isn't usually the same guy who is going to succeed against one of the best wrestlers. Their approaches couldn't be more different, and by extension, incomparable.

Your Ank point is just a much stronger one, imo

izzy's striking is better, cannot deny that. jone's base is wrasslin after all.
Jones is also one of the worst boxers at either division. He's really good at managing distance and mixing kicks in, so it means fuck-all in the end.

poatan's accomplishments are way too fucking narrow to be making comparisons to jones, who has plowed through generations of fighters for god damn near 15 yrs.
but we're not talking about Poatans accomplishments vs jones Accomplishments, We're talking about how their skill sets match up.

Ryan Spann knocked out Reyes with a jab, and Reyes beat Jones for 3 rounds.

This is also completely ignoring the whole 'styles make fights' thing that defines this sport. The guy who is going to succeed against one of the best strikers in the world isn't usually the same guy who is going to succeed against one of the best wrestlers. Their approaches couldn't be more different, and by extension, incomparable.

Your Ank point is just a much stronger one, imo
I suppose...maybe I just see Jones as quite literally unbeatable at LHW, I think my point is that we have seen jones handle elite strikers more often than we have seen poatan deal with elite grapplers. so i suppose time will tell.

but we're not talking about Poatans accomplishments vs jones Accomplishments, We're talking about how their skill sets match up.
it is somewhat important, if one has a greater variety wins over another, its hard to scale which one is better even hypothetically.

I agree with you generally, But when you look at what jones has a problem with like santos, Gus, and reyes, they are all big tall strikers that use length. That's all im trying to say. I dont mean to say he'd win certainly but he does have strengths where jones has weakness.

For what it's worth, I actually think Alex could beat all 3 of those fighters. But that's not the discussion.
He bodied gus in the rematch so jones could adapt? but also saying alex can beat all of those guys seems pretty presumptuous. i get that gane looked like light work in the jones match but the guy is probably third best in the HW division, he was able to survive a 5 round match with Francis. Moreover, Pereira has quite literally 0 experience in HW combat, I think he even lingered at MW in Glory. His length isn't unusual in those heftier weight classes too.

Overall, I think this was a good discussion. Its hard to see where Alex lines up with the LHWs of the past because the current talent pool is arguably the shallowest that its been ever.

He bodied gus in the rematch so jones could adapt? but also saying alex can beat all of those guys seems pretty presumptuous.

Overall, I think this was a good discussion. Its hard to see where Alex lines up with the LHWs of the past because the current talent pool is arguably the shallowest that its been ever.
I can come around to agreeing with this, but I want to mention the rematch between jones and Gus is even more damning. Jones beat Gus almost entirely with leg kicks. I can’t see Alex not being able to do something similar.

I agree that LHW is shallow. I think jiri is the best lhw overall rn. He’d beat more top 10s than Alex, Alex happens to match up better against jiri

so you are saying Alex P is about to beat another overrated fighter? You sure you an Alex fan??

so you are saying Alex P is about to beat another overrated fighter? You sure you an Alex fan??
I think Hill is a bit overrated but only a little bit. I think he'd lose to rakic and jiri pretty easy. Jan might be on his way out with injuries, so maybe hill gets past that.

I dont think hill is even one of the 3 best fighters in his weight class personally.

Lets examine Santo's record when fighting Hill:

LOSS - Romero
LOSS - Wilkinson
LOSS - Hill <<<<-- YOU ARE HERE
LOSS - Ankalaev
Win - Walker lmao
LOSS - Rakic
LOSS - Glover
LOSS - Jones

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on this win for Hill. Santos won 1 of his last 5 walking into the cage, then goes on to lose his next 2.

Hill is athletic and he's most definitely dangerous, but his strength of schedule is dogshit, even in a thin division. He's fought retiring guys coming off losses and got put way by Craig.

This is a big step up for Hill.

Back